New Member - Choke Questions

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
shannerdrake

New Member - Choke Questions

Post by shannerdrake »

Hello Everyone,

New here so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong spot.

I just picked up some Apex 3.5in #8s. I shoot a Benelli SBEII 26in bbl and currently have a Hevi .667 ported choke tube and the factory flush full in .687

Will either of these work for TSS and are they safe to use? The factory full says “no steel” so does that mean no TSS?

I hunt heavily pressured birds so I shoot more over 40 than I do under so I’m not worried about being over choked for short shots. I have shot Hevi magnum blend for years but am switching to TSS to get better extended range performance.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: New Member - Choke Questions

Post by Hoobilly »

You can shoot both chokes. The factory when you shoot it you need to shoot once and make sure it unscrews with no problem. Do this a couple times. If it anytime it feels like it’s getting harder to unscrew or thread back in just toss it
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
shannerdrake

Post by shannerdrake »

Thanks! Really appreciate it.

Is the .667 a good starting point? And I assume ported chokes are fine for Apex? For some reason I think I remember reading that Federal with the flight control wad don’t like the ports.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

3.5" TSS?! Did you need a second mortgage to get those ?! LOL!
And I thought I was CRAZY for paying $50.00 for 20 gauge!

With that said...TSS is SO worth it. :thumbleft:

If I remember correctly, Federal had an issue with the ports and the wad stripping properly, but I belive they had that fixed now.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

try them both
i bet that factory choke will give nice even patterns
shannerdrake

Post by shannerdrake »

MFL205 wrote: February 4th, 2022, 9:46 am 3.5" TSS?! Did you need a second mortgage to get those ?! LOL!
And I thought I was CRAZY for paying $50.00 for 20 gauge!

With that said...TSS is SO worth it. :thumbleft:

If I remember correctly, Federal had an issue with the ports and the wad stripping properly, but I belive they had that fixed now.
Hahahahahaha. Yeah I only have a 12 gauge and the price difference between 2.75 and 3.5 was only $10. After the last couple seasons I’ve had I would have paid about anything to have had a few extra yards of range and pounds of energy.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I have an SBE2. I run a 665 Indian creek in mine. Bu I confess, I have only carried it turkey hunting one time. I was shooting a duplex load of #9TSS and #7 heavy weight. . I’ve shot it at one turkey and it rolled him!
KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

First off WELCOME TO THE MADNESS!!!! To start with, I'd like to speak to the last part of your last post. The only way you get extra range & energy is if the pellet size is either bigger than what you've previously shot or the shot size you've been shooting is being pushed to a higher velocity. Many folks believe that because a 3.5" shell recoils harder and is a longer shell that they get more distance or "killing energy" and this is simply not true. The only thing you gain by shooting say a 3.5" shell with 2.5 oz. of shot compared to a 2.75" shell with 1.75 or 2 oz. of shot are more pellets. It doesn't give the ability to "kill" any further. A #9 TSS pellet that is flying @ 1175 fps is flying @ 1175 fps whether it's fired from a 3.5" shell or a 2.75" shell and will impact with the same energy at the same distance. Now, far as the chokes go I believe you are good to go with the two you named, just don't try and stuff too large of a pellet or payload down an extremely tight choke tube. Honestly, if it were me...(well, it was me and I switched to a 20gauge) If I'm in your shoes I'd drop down to a 3" or 2.75" shell with no more than 2 oz. of TSS. I call TSS "the great equalizer" , reason is you can shoot a much smaller pellet out of a sub-gauge shotgun (or a 12 with reduced payload),. and still have the range to kill ethically . No need to have a howitzer that kills on one end and mutilates on the other. I hope this has been helpful and again welcome to the world of madness!!! One thing in this pretty tight knit group of folks is you can always find someone willin to help.
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER
KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

BTW...alot of folks on here are partial to Indian Creek choke tubes (as am I), thing that is of utmost importance is to try several different chokes and constrictions and shoot what your gun shoots the best. And also there is this fella on here that loads and sells TSS shells foxtrotammo.com....he's OK I guess.... Lol ,so you may look into some of his loads.
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Just browsing some older threads. Looked at both Apex and Foxtrot web sites yesterday. Everything again "out of stock". That time of year. While I certainly agree with everyone trying several brands of chokes and shells I'll bet few do based on cost. These forums at least give a good starting point.
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

I shot 2oz loads of 8's and 7's through the same Hevi .667 choke out of my SBEII 12. Was the best patterning choke I had for that gun.

Return to “Big Bore”