Surpringly Good

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Surpringly Good

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I picked up a couple corned beef briskets after St Patrick's for like 5 bucks... Made the traditional dinner.... Really didn't have that much left to do what I wanted to do, so with it raining and cold decided on a soup...

Really simple corned beef, sauerkraut, potatoes, onions, celery beef broth... I added some thyme, garlic, and a bay leaf... Topped with shredded Swiss

I was kinda Leary, but it was dang good... Like I'd serve it to people and they'd be surprised good.... Shoulda bought some croutons to add but didn't really need it..
Polish_20220323_170855367.jpg
quavodus

Re: Surpringly Good

Post by quavodus »

Oh yeah. Looks delicious. I need to try something like that.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Mr. I, enough to do a corned beef hash ?
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

spider316 wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 6:18 pm Mr. I, enough to do a corned beef hash ?
Nah I got a couple other ideas still have one more and may pick up another or two when I go shopping....
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Fella at elk camp made a fantastic corned beef hash back in October. My only complaint was that I wanted more.

Good looking soup. 👍👍👍
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 11:35 pm Fella at elk camp made a fantastic corned beef hash back in October. My only complaint was that I wanted more.

Good looking soup. 👍👍👍
Be honest never had it.... Never had corned beef until a few years back... Growing up was like one of those spinach things for me, didn't like it til I tried it...

First corned beef for me.... Sal and I were at a Irish bar at a golf course... They have awesome bar food... We'd had about everything in the menu multiple times... She always hated when I ordered... I have a pretty good knack of reading a menu, ordering something off the wall and have it being Devine and whatever she ordered ok...

So we're there, I'm not that hungry, all the regular stuff didn't sound good... Her "whatcha getting" not saying... Waitress comes around "yes I'll have the Reuben" Sal's jaw hit the table... Got it, took a bite.... She's like how is it? Try it... She tries it, you bleepidy Bleep BLEEEEEP... Eats my Reuben...

We went a Reuben tour far and wide for a couple months eating Reubens everywhere we could find um... Gotta have Russian, thousand island ruins a good Reuben.... Dunno why I never tried one mom and dad ate um friends always ordered um... Love kraut and rye or pumpernickel....

Hash looks easy enough... Potatoes, beef, onions, some spices...

I'm thinking maybe next week I'll do Reuben Totchos or Reuben Bombs
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I'm not sure if I'd ever had homemade corned beef and hash until elk camp last year. Stan, guy that cooked it, is Irish descent so he couldn't believe that I'd not eaten it before.

I only started eating the traditional saint Patrick day meal 4 or 5 years ago. My mom has never cooked it and she's a hell of a cook. My wife's mom never cooked it either.

Heather just picked one up four or five years ago and we tried it. We both decided that it's danged good.

I guess that I have had Reubens occasionally from a restaurant here and there but had never had it any other way. I usually take about half the kraut off. I like the flavor just not too much of the cabbage.

Saint Patrick's Day is a big deal in Butte, about an hour south of here. Lots of Irish there apparently.

Return to “Camp Dinner”