Fighting the wind

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
quackaholic

Fighting the wind

Post by quackaholic »

What do you guys do when the wind is blowing 15-20 mph especially when you hunt on lakes or rivers? Do you wait for better conditions to be able to hear? Do you put one to bed the evening before the hunt ,( assuming you can see one)? I'm curious because the wind is really whipping here and aint supposed to let up. I can't remember it being this windy for so many days. And I've changed strategies for hunting this season.
Chief Razor

Re: Fighting the wind

Post by Chief Razor »

I look for areas out of the wind like a creek bottom or ravine. I believe that in most cases the turkeys want out of the wind about as badly as you do. If you can find some sign in there I would just wait it out. Not my favorite way to hunt but its better then sitting the bench.
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

Chief Razor wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 5:06 pm I look for areas out of the wind like a creek bottom or ravine. I believe that in most cases the turkeys want out of the wind about as badly as you do. If you can find some sign in there I would just wait it out. Not my favorite way to hunt but its better then sitting the bench.
I try to dodge the wind too. Wind can be a pain, when you're turkey hunting. Can't hear anything most of the time. I've got a couple places where I hunt that has creek bottoms too.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"
Hoosier06

Post by Hoosier06 »

Walk until you think this spot doesn't suck to be in. I hunt younger timber on lee sides of a hill in the wind so a window maker doesn't fall on me.
Conoetais63

Post by Conoetais63 »

I will wait for calmer weather conditions cause the wind is blowing at 15-20 mph can be difficult to hear the sound of turkeys calling or moving through the area. Sometimes I use a locator call such as an owl hoot or crow call can help you locate birds in the area. These calls mimic the sounds of other animals that turkeys may respond to, making it easier to pinpoint their location. If you choose to hunt turkeys in high winds, you may need to adjust your hunting strategy to account for the conditions. For example, you may need to use decoys to attract birds to your location or focus on stalking birds rather than calling them in.
SkinnyTeacher

Post by SkinnyTeacher »

Hoosier06 wrote: June 4th, 2023, 4:10 pm Walk until you think this spot doesn't suck to be in. I hunt younger timber on lee sides of a hill in the wind so a window maker doesn't fall on me.
Very nicely said. Thank you for sharing your good words with us.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

SkinnyTeacher wrote: February 9th, 2024, 3:46 pm
Hoosier06 wrote: June 4th, 2023, 4:10 pm Walk until you think this spot doesn't suck to be in. I hunt younger timber on lee sides of a hill in the wind so a window maker doesn't fall on me.
One and done right there
By Felicia!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Hoobilly wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:11 pm
One and done right there
By Felicia!
:lol:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:09 pm
Hoobilly wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:11 pm

One and done right there
By Felicia!
:lol:
The email is what confirmed it for me :LMAO:

decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

If you can't hear the birds, they can't hear you moving/walking. When the wind is kicking up and moving vegetation you can get away with more movement than usual. Cover as much ground as possible, especially fields and hollows and read the current turkey sign, and try to get onto moving/feeding flocks. Use the loudest calls which you have that are normally not utilized from areas upwind of areas which may hold birds when windy, and if you see birds, call loudly until you get any semblance of a reaction, and call until they start moving your way.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

As stated above, as well as calling loudly, probably on a Crystal pot and calling often!

Hunt known productive spots or fresh sign!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I’ll say this much
Find the spot where there’s a wind break. A bowl so to speak

Or on the side of the woods that’s not getting hit with the wind

Turkeys do there thing all day long. And often times found out of the wind
Except in SouthDakota. They will go anywhere out there