Weird shock gobble calls

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
-DIRTNAP-

Re: Weird shock gobble calls

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

Killed my first spring gobbler after he shock gobbled to a ambulance siren. Also can't beat a truck door slam
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

A friend of mine lived in an old house with a old fashioned wooden framed screen door. he says they gobble at it all the time in the Spring.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"
mspaci

Post by mspaci »

coyote howler
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

I use a coyote howler some too.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

935 wrote: May 31st, 2021, 7:29 am The first tom I ever killed shock gobbled to a real pileated woodpecker. I bought a Knight and Hale woodpecker call soon after, thinking I was on to something. I haven't heard a pileated woodpecker call make a bird gobble since. Not from me, not from a real woodpecker.
I carry a woodpecker call and it works from time to time....
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

You never know sometimes what they will shock gobble at. Besides crows and Barred owls, I've heard them gobble at a lot of different things. Dogs barking, various birds, roosters crowing, Canada geese, hawks, car doors, people talking, etc.
Jhoutz1982

Post by Jhoutz1982 »

I was hunting in Northern Kansas once about 10 years ago around lunchtime I was bored so I was slowly still hunting and shed antler hunting when a rooster pheasant sounded off and sure enough two Toms shock gobbled in response. I sat down and hit a box call and they answered me. I called them in and whiffed on a 40 yard shot. Roller coaster day I won't soon forget.
bwhana

Post by bwhana »

So the moral of this story so far is that anything will work some of the time, but nothing will work all of the time! :)
Jhoutz1982

Post by Jhoutz1982 »

Thunder..... 60% of the time it works every time!!
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

Several years ago a weird call came on the market. I don't know who made it but, it was a peacock. Strange.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Ever turkey hunted where there was a peacock close by? And by close by I mean a 1/2 to 3/4 mile. I’ve hunted a couple places in GA and Bama that had peacocks near by, And they would absolutely hammer back at a peacock.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
ccone8152

Post by ccone8152 »

We have a place we hunt on the river and when the ospreys start calling in the morning the turkeys will shock gobble almost every time at them i have also heard them gobble at a peackock
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

guesswho wrote: February 21st, 2022, 5:41 pm Ever turkey hunted where there was a peacock close by? And by close by I mean a 1/2 to 3/4 mile. I’ve hunted a couple places in GA and Bama that had peacocks near by, And they would absolutely hammer back at a peacock.

Pretty neat. I've never hunted anywhere there is peacocks, at least as far as I know of. I have heard them gobble at roosters.
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Sometimes they ll gobble to almost anything. I’ve heard them to a truck door ( also had them shut down too). Climbed over a barbed wire fence in my youth and the “screech” it made pullin thru the nails located one close by. Geese, a donkey, and a Hereford bull ( he could really rip a gobble out but was difficult to get in and out of my vest…). Saw a gobbler in a field really ripping into a prop plane. Could see him gobble but couldn’t hear bc of the plane. Actually stooped to a peacock call one time… no luck( I think the bull stepped on it…). Loudspeaker on a military base close by/ had one really rip into the National Anthem being played- we dubbed him Captain America and never even got close to killing him…. Thunder- the long rolling kind- sat 2hrs blind calling one time without a peep til a thunderstorm rolled in and two gobbled….guess my calling wasn’t too good- guess I should have brought my Hereford bull that day!
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Roy

Post by Roy »

I like to take my dong and beat it against a tree. Usually works for me.
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Roy wrote: March 5th, 2022, 4:28 pm I like to take my dong and beat it against a tree. Usually works for me.
Heck that was you? Dropped your crayons and spaghetti’os when you ran off. PM me your address and ill ship em to ya.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Chief Razor wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 6:59 pm
Roy wrote: March 5th, 2022, 4:28 pm I like to take my dong and beat it against a tree. Usually works for me.
Heck that was you? Dropped your crayons and spaghetti’os when you ran off. PM me your address and ill ship em to ya.
The spaghetti O’s probably were mine.
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

My Lausman Persimmon Popper makes a turkey gobble mighty good ! :struttin:
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

Has anybody had good luck with a gobble call? I've used them a little but, it's pretty much hit or miss.
RBMTDJager

Post by RBMTDJager »

Anyone ever enjoy and significant level of success using a peacock call as a shock goggle call?
gobbler777

Post by gobbler777 »

Had a Turkey hunting friend that said his brother used a wooden train whistle that he bought at a Cracker Barrel 35 years ago. Said he had great success with it.
duckslut

Post by duckslut »

Azetc death whistle has been my go2 on public lately. Also discourages other hunters to stay out of the woods😂
Hammer1Down

Post by Hammer1Down »

In Michigan this year had 2 gobblers losing their mind at a couple Sandhill cranes in the field. Let me know their location the whole time they were coming in from 640 yards. I thought it was a donkey braying at first.
:old_glory:
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Mark Drury sold a lot of silent dog whistles as shock devices back in the day. They worked great, only problem was the gobble was silent, too. Gil
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

I can make a pretty good sandhill call with a short reed goose call.

We used to hunt behind a golf course, we would pull up to the club house and slam car doors and beep the horn, whole farm would gobble!

Return to “Hunt Strategies”