Decoy or no decoy

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
bradr3367

Decoy or no decoy

Post by bradr3367 »

Thinking on commiting to leaving the decoy at home this spring on all of my hunts. I've always carried a hen decoy, and have killed most (but not all) of my birds when using it. I'd like to get rid of it all together. I don't like carrying it, don't like setting it up/taking it down, it can bang into sticks & make noise going through the timber, etc etc. Not sure why but I'm struggling with this decision. I've almost relied on it too much over the years, therefore I feel like I can't be without it. On the flip side, I'm thinking that maybe if I stop using it all together, I would become an even better turkey hunter. Not sure. Thoughts?
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Decoy or no decoy

Post by guesswho »

Depending on where you hunt, I think once you ditch them and get used to it you will wonder why you used them to start with. Good luck
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

Dump it….
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Whatever works for you. As long as you're smiling at the end of the day, it's all good.
No one can/should tell you how to hunt your gobbler. Hunt the way YOU want to hunt.
This a very contentious subject on here. You will hear it from both sides. Do what works for you and don't apologize for doing it. Either way.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Its a tool in the toolbox. Id never say never on a decoy but its not a necessity.
ol bob

Post by ol bob »

What Hognutz said if everyone did this the world would be a far better place.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
PennBirdy

Post by PennBirdy »

:thumbright:
Chief Razor wrote: February 11th, 2022, 6:37 pm Its a tool in the toolbox. Id never say never on a decoy but its not a necessity.
PALongspur

Post by PALongspur »

I don’t enjoy carrying them one bit but they do come in handy in some situations. Like others have stated, “you do you” 😂
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Leave it at home and have a more enjoyable hunt!
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I personally don’t use them, but wouldn’t run someone else down for using one.
Last edited by turkeyinstrut on February 14th, 2022, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

I use them very little. I'll be honest, I hate having to carry them.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

I stopped carrying and using them often a few seasons ago. Can’t really name any instances where I “know” they would have helped me. However if you hunt almost exclusively in big open areas I definitely understand they can and will help seal the deal. I kinda scratch my head when I see them employed in wood situations where the Turkey won’t even see them until he’s already in range…as these are videoed hunts I guess it’s for footage and sales… definitely a tool, you do you but I haven’t missed them one bit.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

For all the birds killed w/ the aid of a decoy, I'll wager that there is probably the same number of turkeys that aren't killed because of decoy use. Hunters who are dependent on decoy use spook and scare off a lot of turkeys, both seen and unseen, while deploying their fake and a lot of satellite or non-dominate gobblers are intimidated by another turkey and want absolutely nothing to do with it. I've watched boss hens turn their flock and walk directly away from decoys. I'm w/ Tom Kelly, leave the decoys at home and work on your calling, and more importantly, your woodsmanship and you will ultimately kill more gobblers w/ greater personal satisfaction.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I don't leave home, local or on a trip without them ;)
Now, if I use them is dependent on what my hunt situation looks like :thumbup:

I love to have a tom or 2 come in and beat or mount the decoys as I enjoy the show the most!! :cheers:

Even had "BOSS" hens strut and beat the hell out on my decoys and what an amusing show :shock:
1 time a boss hen knocked all 3 hen deks' over breaking a stake off on one, while 7 jakes were huddled at the side of the woods watchin' :LMAO:
Dang big tom never showed for that set-up that morning :banghead:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Meleagris gallopavo

Post by Meleagris gallopavo »

I’ve been weaning myself off of them. I think they’ve hurt me as much as help. I sure don’t like carrying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

My limited experience with deke is they seem to attract hens and jakes more that anything else.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
wchadw

Decoy or no decoy

Post by wchadw »

For me depends on where I am. I will use a decoy in open fields. In woods I don’t
My experience is if you call on edge of a field and the bird doesn’t see a hen in the field he usually won’t commit
I have a Montana xd hen that folds down real small so I can stick it in my pack. It’s not super realistic but from far in a field it will do the trick to get them close enough. And it’s real light and packable. I put it in my Glenda bag

paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

decoykrvr wrote: February 12th, 2022, 9:15 am I'm w/ Tom Kelly, leave the decoys at home and work on your calling, and more importantly, your woodsmanship
With Col. Kelly as well, stopped carrying a deke 25 years ago. Zero interest, even a tv show or utube film with a deke, skipping it. Woodmanship is way more interesting to watch.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

Wide open spots with several acres of field, most defiantly a decoy. Woods hunting I don't use a decoy call'em up and shootem down. Just depends on where I hunt if I carry decoy's or not.
Wasn't born, I was hatched!!!!!!!!!!!! and raised in Tennessee.
Pinegoat

Post by Pinegoat »

I've never used one early season.
But.... towards the close of season when I have one that's been edjamacated.. it's the nail in the coffin.
Not trying to toot my horn but I'm 51 and been hunting everything huntable my entire life. There is not another wild game that is more over complicated than killing a turkey.
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

I will occasionally use one but, hate carrying the dang things.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"
stx4wheeler

Post by stx4wheeler »

wchadw wrote: February 12th, 2022, 10:25 am For me depends on where I am. I will use a decoy in open fields. In woods I don’t
My experience is if you call on edge of a field and the bird doesn’t see a hen in the field he usually won’t commit
I have a Montana xd hen that folds down real small so I can stick it in my pack. It’s not super realistic but from far in a field it will do the trick to get them close enough. And it’s real light and packable. I put it in my Glenda bag

I have the same Montana folding hen. It packs up pretty small and fits in my turkey vest well. Sometimes I use it and sometimes I don't but its a great tool to have quick access to if I feel the situation warrants it.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

quavodus wrote: February 11th, 2022, 10:02 pm I use them very little. I'll be honest, I hate having to carry them.
If I do carry one it’s the collapsible type, I have a set (2 hens and 1 jake) of Feather Flex decoys I bought back in the late 80’s but I hardly ever use them, my philosophy is, if I can gain 20 or 30 yards on a gobbling turkey to set up a decoy why not just sit down there, you are 20 or 30 yards closer to him. That’s just the way I think anyway.
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

Well that my friend is entirely up to you, if you want them that’s fine , if you don’t that’s okay as well.
It’s your hunt do it the way you want.
Kylimblifter

Post by Kylimblifter »

I don’t usually carry one but do sometimes. Almost always just a single hen decoy when I do carry one. I’d say 95% of my birds were killed without one but I’m almost always hunting big woods

Return to “Hunt Strategies”