Common Bufo

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Common Bufo

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I was walking the yard individually spraying weeds when I spotted something move.. It was as I looked closer I realized it was a toad, a baby toad at that.. As it hopped and hopped to avoid my grasp I eventually caught him.. I grabbed my phone and captured a picture just before he attempted to hop out of my hand..

After a short picture session I let him on his way. As I continued to search for weeds camouflaged in the grass, I saw another one, I didn't want to catch this one and let it go about it's toad business.. Much to my shock a few feet later a third and a fourth. I was inundated with the specie..

It made me think back to a few evenings ago seeing a larger specimen fully camouflaged in an ant hill underneath the security light above the barn door. The large specimen was there for three nights fully camouflaged in the ant hill until my dog scared it away.. One evening I sat and drank my tea for a few minutes even getting the opportunity to watch it stick it's tongue out and grasp a sunset dinner.. Was this the mother? The father? Will never know..

That day made me remember earlier in the year when the night was serenaded with the sound of the common tree frog. Not thinking I sprayed the entire lawn for weeds, a few days later no longer heard the distinct sound of the frog. Had the toxins in the weed killer killed the frogs, sent them packing for a new location..

So I researched and the chemicals are highly toxic to frogs and reptiles.

That's when I determined I should only spot treat the lawnnin an effort to preserve our little friends.. Is it working? I believe yes, with the robust population of toads inhabitating the yard..

Please take all this into consideration when treating your lawn, what's more important a weed free lawn, or a healthy ecosystem
KIMG5529.JPG
More Pics

KIMG5526.JPG
KIMG5525.JPG
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Common Bufo

Post by spider316 »

Common sand toad ? Always scare me when I go to move a log or rock and they hop out !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Neat
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

You ain’t going to cook it?
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Frogs eat skeeters so we needs them
!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

guesswho wrote: July 18th, 2021, 5:37 pm You ain’t going to cook it?
:LMAO: Exactly what I was thinking when I opened it lol
Vintage

Post by Vintage »

About a thousand and you have a good meal. LOL
It is what it is.
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

What kind of weed killer did you use? Those are little frog legs!

God Bless, Louis
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Whew, I don't spray my lawn and love anything that grows that will save my lawn from erosion :shock:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

My old home had a car-sized concrete fish pond that held goldfish. Once a month during the summer, every toad within hearing range gathered to mate and lay eggs. The ruckus they made could awake the dead. Think cicadas with megaphones. With a scoop net, I'd gather as many as I could and take them to a lake a mile away. The eggs would rob the pond of O2 which would kill the fish and stink like the dickens. I solved the problem by moving to another house. Gil
crow

Post by crow »

Planting several large fairy rings spaced out over your yard is a natural weed deterrent and also seems to attract a higher than normal concentration of toads and frogs

we planted some large fairy rings in the Olympic circle pattern, the toad population just exploded.
you can sit inside the rings in the evening without a thermacell, never see a mosquito.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

So last night after supper me and cougar went for our 3 mile walk, in the woods I came across a smaller specimen..

I also almost stepped on a watersnake by time I grabbed my phone it disappeared..
KIMG5852.JPG
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Holy Grail tonight, trophy.. Cougar and I were setting in the yard reminiscing just at dark, she caught movement to her left and got up and was on it, a mature bufo.. I let her play with it a bit called her off and was lucky enough to get some pictures
KIMG6007.JPG
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

South Florida has been invaded for decades by the Large Bufo toad, commonly called the Cane Toad. They get as large a dinner plates. Seasonally I remove numerous toads from my koi pond each year when they lay long strings of eggs that are toxic to fish if eaten. Some year ago we were gone a few days and the fish grazed on some and several died. One hung on but didn’t eat for days then recovered.

These toads have decimated the native toad population. When I net them I put them in the trash can and get to populate the landfill with plenty of flies to eat. They secrete a white toxic substance from glands on their backs that can make dogs really sick when they grab them. Vet says to give tablespoon of peroxide the flush their mouth with a garden hose. Done that on several dogs over the years.
Don

Return to “Gobbler Talk”