Hen with poults

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Griff

Hen with poults

Post by Griff »

Just now watching a hen turkey with 3 or 4 poults some 100 yds. distance in front of the hunting shack where I brush hogged the grasses and weeds down on Monday. Rained all day Tues. most of Weds. raining this morning but sun has popped out now. I had to use binoculars to see the poults as they seem to pop up here and there out of the stubble as the grass is already growing back some making it hard to keep track and count them. I hope she is not in the hay field when my man comes to cut and bale the hay. Already seeing fawns as well.

Griff
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hen with poults

Post by soiltester »

Yup, had fawns around already and saw a hen with 9 poults, a couple of miles away, a week ago today.
Lot's of fawns dropping in MI this past week :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

9 poults, that is impressive, I know they all won't make it but hopefully half will!
AlinMi

Post by AlinMi »

I stumbled on a nest Sunday with 13 eggs. Hen exploded out of there like a partridge!!
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

I saw a hen and what appeared to be two young ones that were about 2/3's grown yesterday. They were some distance off but with optics it appeared that way. I would figure quail size would be about right for now but man those other two birds looked half grown.
I haven't seen any small ones this year, but I haven't been out looking but twice and the grass is pretty high. We have had a very wet spring, over a foot of rain in May alone. I hope some poults make it.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

Only had 2 reports of polts here in Middle GA . First was May 5 and second was May 9 .
Haven't seen any yet myself .
Did see 1 fawn so far but watched it make its last step into an oncoming train .
10th Legion legionare !
PawleysJim

Post by PawleysJim »

I was just sent blurry video...I think I counted 12 little blurs
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

I have not see any poults yet here in New York State.
Gobblez

Post by Gobblez »

None as of today here in Michigan. Several fawns spotted, pun intended.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

I've seen 2 hens with poults on my lawn in the past couple of weeks. I haven't gotten a good enough look to count them, but one had at least 10 and the other at least 4. I have several groups every year lately; there is something about my lawn that attracts the hens when the poults first hatch. I think it's because the grass is short enough that they can easily walk on it and find bugs and grasshoppers.

I suspect that a lawn type of habitat is missing from most places and that could be a limiting factor in successful reproduction. The first few hours and days of life are the most dangerous for them, and if they don't survive that you don't have any successful reproduction.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Haven't seen poults but have seen hens that acted like there were poults near by trying to lure me away from the area. Gil
Griff

Post by Griff »

Two hens yesterday at the far edge of yard in the shade with the 4 or 5 poults,😃 couldn't tell for sure on the numbers as the grass is growing the same as they are and I cannot hold the 10x42 binoculars very still. Then this morning 3 hens no poults 😢 feed at the the far edge of the yard they stopped in a sunny spot (55 degrees this morning) and loafed awhile preening them self's then left the way they came.

Griff
Griff

Post by Griff »

While eating a late breakfast this morning looking out the window I see 2 hens down the chute towards the hay field I jump up and get the binocular's and I can not see any poults, then one of the hens must have gave an alarm and 8 or 9 poults got up almost at the same time and flew into the woods a short distance and the hens followed on foot. I feel some better on those numbers

Griff
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Trail cam caught a pic of 1 hen with no poults last week :(
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Gobbler Talk”