Signs of the Times(?)

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Prospector

Signs of the Times(?)

Post by Prospector »

So, was wondering....what are some signs that you guys see that the hens are starting to lay/nest? I mean aside from the obvious, like, gobbling activity ramps back up. Or gobblers by themselves. Or better response to calls?
One thing I see is a hens reluctance to leave the area. For example in a field she ll crouch down rather than fly. Another thing is when you encounter more turkeys in trees at odd times ( is she trying to get away from the gobbler?). Another thing I notice is tracks in cutovers and thickets ( traditional nest areas).
I mean, none of these are scientifically proven just some observations over the years. What do you guys think? What are some signs you see? I’m trying to spark some conversation and learn something too.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Signs of the Times(?)

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

When you start finding box turtles in the woods,hens are nesting.
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

WV Ridge Reaper wrote: April 11th, 2021, 2:57 pm When you start finding box turtles in the woods,hens are nesting.
Exactly
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

See?!? That’s why I asked. I have never heard the box turtle one but I just saw one a couple days ago! Thankyou
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)

Return to “Gobbler Talk”