Let's talk about Decoys

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
PawleysJim

Let's talk about Decoys

Post by PawleysJim »

Not so long ago...It was suggested that I not use decoys, especially early season, especially not as a newbie, others said there were times for using a decoy.

So this past weekend, I got set up, and I did use the Fugly chicken (as apposed to Slim Jim) and mid morning a hen flew down, landed 20' from Fug; took one look and immediately flew off again. So maybe the mortal of the story is indeed Don't leave home with a decoy.

That said, the next day other people reported a Tom did the same thing; landed & flew off again. But there was no decoy this time.
quavodus

Re: Let's talk about Decoys

Post by quavodus »

I don't use them much. I've got one spot that is a creek bottom with a hay field, and it helps when hunting it, to use a deke or two. But I just hunt woods mostly and I really don't use them in woods.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I know that using a decoy may spook some birds but not others. I also know that not using a decoy won’t spook any. So I just roll without them.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

It's not a slam dunk either way, Jim. Some you win and some you lose. What works one day, or one set for that matter, may not work the next time. You have to experiment. Sometimes a hen or two works. Some use jakes and even gobblers. Some use nothing.
As stated earlier, it's your game, play it as you like!
Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!

Post by 935 »

I'm not sure what a Fugly chicken is. But a hen and a Jake works for me.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

I've had them turn and run from a DSD hen. Had a DSD jake spook gobblers. Had them come running in to the same decoys. Also had them come piling into an inflatable Cherokee hen decoy. Sometimes they help, sometimes they don't. Anymore, I like to get in the woods where they have to come looking for me. Only use decoys if I'm hunting birds in an open crop field.
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Never had a bid spook from a decoy, have had them stay away or avoid them but have had piles of em suicide them, If I use a decoy anymore it is typically a lone dsd Jake, that poor thing has been flogged countless times!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Decoy Safety:
"Like the use of a gobbler call, decoys are effective...but can put the user at potential risk. Obviously, if a decoy can fool a sharp-eyed gobbler, it can fool another hunter. More than one decoy has drawn fire from an intruder into the decoy user’s hunting area.

Hunters should observe rigorous safety practices when using decoys. Always carry a decoy covered in the cargo bag of your vest. Never give in to the temptation to carry an exposed turkey decoy “just a few yards” while hunting. Don’t place the decoy too close to your position. Always place the decoy so that you have a good view past the decoy in a direct line from your position."
https://www.realtree.com/turkey-hunting ... afety-tips
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

I used to have an inflatable hen deke, and had it out in a pasture one morning. I had called a little to a gobbler back in the woods. Anyway a hen came out of the woods looking for the sound. She spotted my deke, and I started aggressively calling to her. She came over and pretty much whipped it's butt. The only time I've ever seen anything like that.
:cheers:
PawleysJim

Post by PawleysJim »

935 wrote: April 6th, 2021, 4:23 pm I'm not sure what a Fugly chicken is. But a hen and a Jake works for me.
Sorry, It was mentioned by some one in an earlier thread; the Flextone Funky Chicken Turkey Jake Decoy, someone named Slim Jim. I just called it Fug.and it scared the guano out of the hen.

Post by 935 »

When I use decoys I want them to be as lifelike as I can afford. What GLS said above is very much correct, especially on public land and extra especially with a full strut tom decoy.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

I use a hen decoy or 2 as I mostly hunt the edge of fields. I feel that the turkey hear my calling and come in but see nothing, that something is not right. I use AvionX decoys and so far this year have had birds walk as close as 2 feet from them. On Sunday morning, I had a jake mount one for about 5 minutes.
I do think they have a place and time to use them. In the woods hunting, I don't use them much. In or at the edge of a field, I use them.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
Roy

Post by Roy »

I would say that decoys generally work. If u see pics of birds killed a lot of times dekes are in the background. So, I would have to say that they work.
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
PawleysJim

Post by PawleysJim »

GLS wrote: April 6th, 2021, 5:49 pm Decoy Safety:
"Like the use of a gobbler call, decoys are effective...but can put the user at potential risk. Obviously, if a decoy can fool a sharp-eyed gobbler, it can fool another hunter. More than one decoy has drawn fire from an intruder into the decoy user’s hunting area.

Hunters should observe rigorous safety practices when using decoys. Always carry a decoy covered in the cargo bag of your vest. Never give in to the temptation to carry an exposed turkey decoy “just a few yards” while hunting. Don’t place the decoy too close to your position. Always place the decoy so that you have a good view past the decoy in a direct line from your position."
https://www.realtree.com/turkey-hunting ... afety-tips
I will do that...thanks
PawleysJim

Post by PawleysJim »

Currently I am hunting mostly fields, natural and cultivated. This weekend I am hunting with a buddy who is very experienced, I'm going just watch and do as I am told...
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

When I first started hunting these crazy birds I had those fold up foam decoys, I thought they looked like chit. Seems the birds did as well, rarely used one and do not remember killing birds with them.

I started bowhunting exclusively and acquired a mounted hen decoy and it was blatantly obvious by the birds response it made a difference, that thing was poison on birds!

I have guided hunts for a long time and in field situations I use decoys most times, occasionally they are not effective, birds circle or hang up on them some times, but they also absolutely commit to them and you see some amazing interactions!

My go to is now a DSD jake, amazing the thing is still in one piece, it has been beaten into the dirt countless times and taken a few stray BB's over the years and is still good as new.

I have spent as many as 40 to 50 days in a spring chasing these amazing birds, I do not know it all and learn on a regular basis, but from time spent in the field interacting with them I have seen and learned a lot, good quality decoys work and work very well!!!

I am a week out from my first hunt of the year and already have a hard time sleeping thinking about how I and others will be successful this season.
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

I’ve killed with and without. The more realistic the better but turkeys will shy from them at times. Last few years I’ve enjoyed hunting WITHOUT them immensely. Enough so that if I miss an opportunity without a deke, so what? Tomorrow s another day and I’ve had a good past with killing gobblers.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Mtns2hunt

Post by Mtns2hunt »

I use decoys to lure birds from a neighbors feild. I use as many as 10 or 12 decoys with 4 Avian x that I place closest to the area I expect the turkeys to come from and a collection of plastic and foam decoys as a back ground filler. My blind or position if not using a blind is in front and to the side of the Avian x's which allows me to tag hang ups. This combo has worked every year that I have used it. I normally set up 75 to 100 yards from the fence line and from a diatance the flock looks incredibally realistic.

In woods I carry one Avian x decoy and use it if the area is open otherwise I do not use a decoy. I switch to 1 or 2 decoys later in the season. Normally I only use hens and 1 jake if I use the jake at all. Lot of jakes in my area and they gang up on the Toms.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

I use a single hen decoy on occasion when I am sitting for a while blind calling because things are slow. I had a hen come in the other day after a run of yelps. She tried to make me call back to her again, but I stayed silent. She noticed the decoy. Checked her out and gave her a little chest bump. She then walked off calling softly, definitely not spooked.

Most of the times that I locate a gobbling turkey, I do not use a decoy because I am focused on setting up quickly and do not want to add extra movement during the setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

I could've used one this morning. Called in a nice and probably older gobbler. He came to the top of hill strutting, then came out of strut and stretched his neck to look and putted 4 or 5 times and left fast. There was some sapplings between us that I didn't notice, so I couldn't shoot right away. Some birds really like to see a hen......
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

I'm to lazy to tote decoys,,, hunt on the move most of the time and they'd just get in my way,,,
Meleagris gallopavo

Post by Meleagris gallopavo »

I may have stated this in your other thread, but I think they work 50% of the time. VERY situational dependent, but it's hard to figure out those "situations".

Return to “Gobbler Talk”