Bringing on an Apprentice

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
shaman

Bringing on an Apprentice

Post by shaman »

It's been a decade since I took on an apprentice turkey hunter. That was my buddy, SuperCore. Old age and a bum ticker got him out of the game a couple of seasons ago. My sons goaded one of their friends from high school into the sport. He's been invited to Turkey Camp this year. He's 28. He's never hunted gobblers before. I've got a clean slate.

If you start back around Labor Day and work forward in my Weblog, you can see how he did during this past deer season. He'd never shot a deer previous to this. I couldn't ask for a better student.

My strategy, as with SuperCore previously, is to have him tag along in the pre-season with myself and my sons. He'll hunt with us for a bit. When we turn him loose, we'll put him in a good spot and let him call one in. We've only got 200 acres to hunt, so Runnin' 'n Gunnin' is not exactly a good idea.

I'm wondering from y'all, what advice would you give FNG?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Bringing on an Apprentice

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I don't think I've got any advice that you probably don't already know. Good luck with the new guy. I've seen a number of guys kill their first turkey. It's fun To be a part of.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”