Russell Snake Boots

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Jstocks

Russell Snake Boots

Post by Jstocks »

Any tips before I place the order?

I’m thinking about the Hart model because of the zipper. Pros/cons?

Also, they now have a 12” model snake boot. I could be convinced easily to go with the shorter model and not the other taller models I’d someone could justify logic either way I’d appreciate it.

Also looking for advice on toe cap and the sole options.

Probably good to put here that I am not looking for advice on how to spend my money other places and get a cheaper pair of boots, another brand of boots, etc...... I have narrowed my choice down to the two above from Russell.

Any measuring tips, sole tips, or other option recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks
wchadw

Re: Russell Snake Boots

Post by wchadw »

I have harts. I got waterproof zips which help. I got air “bob” soles which are softer and poron (cushion) inserts between vamps and under foot. Very comfortable for me this way but I like cushioned tennis shoes. Regular flat bottom rubber snake boots kill my feet. I think the Russell’s are worth investment. If you don’t get poron cushions they are like leather bottom moccasins

I use elastic speed laces from top down to ankle and regular short laces from bottom up so I zip on and then lace like regular shoes.

If they come back and they don’t fit right, send them back immediately . I have 3 pairs of Russell’s. 2 of 3 fit perfectly. 3rd pair (non lace up caviler crossovers) I had to send back 3 times for them to get right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Did you use their measurement directions?
wchadw

Post by wchadw »

Speed laces. They have print out of how to measure and a full out form on their website. Image

wchadw

Post by wchadw »

Jstocks wrote:Did you use their measurement directions?
If you are asking me, yes. On pair I had to send back they said they had my measurements from my turkey hunters. But when I got them they didn’t fit. So I would recommend keeping copy of measurements if you ever order any other boots from them

wchadw

Post by wchadw »

Also, get some obenaufs. When you get them wax them up good. Helps keep feet dry and dirt, grime off. After season I wash with saddle soap and water. Let dry. And then re apply obenaufs

Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Thank you.
I’ll probably order in the next couple weeks. This is a gift from
my wife and kids to “walk into my 40’s” they couldn’t order them so they waited to surprise me and tell me to get my measurements.

How long before they come in once ordered? I’m hoping to get them broke in before March.
wchadw

Russell Snake Boots

Post by wchadw »

Jstocks wrote:Thank you.
my wife and kids to “walk into my 40’s” they couldn’t order them so they waited to surprise me and tell me to get my measurements.

How long before they come in once ordered? I’m hoping to get them broke in before March.
3/4 months. Call and ask them their current lead time

HartClemson99

Post by HartClemson99 »

I’m obviously a fan!

I have had several different soles. It really depends on where you are hunting. My first pair I bought 20 years ago and I was hunting a good bit in West Virginia on a farm with steep hills and lots of copperheads. The first pair of soles I had were the Full Claw Air-Bob. They are good in the mountains, but for most terrains, I prefer a lighter sole.

The Aspen Gum Lights are super light, but I tend to walk on the outside of my foot and they tend to wear out quicker (3-4 years) than others I have tried.

If hunting on flat ground, the French Plantation Crepe are super comfortable and spongy, but not great in hills or in heavy mud.

My favorite all around sole is the Vibram Air Bob. I have worn it from Canada to Mexico, California to Florida and I think it’s the best all around sole.

https://www.russellmoccasin.com/sole-options/

HartClemson99

Post by HartClemson99 »

wchadw wrote:Also, get some obenaufs. When you get them wax them up good. Helps keep feet dry and dirt, grime off. After season I wash with saddle soap and water. Let dry. And then re apply obenaufs

I’ll second this.

wchadw

Post by wchadw »

Jstocks wrote:Thank you.

Think I saw on Instagram or somewhere their turkey hunters are on sale right now?

Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

I think they are 10% off and free shipping.

Thanks guys for the information. I’ll stick the details here when I place the order.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Ok, one more crazy question before I order.
Pants in or out of these?

It asks on the form, so curious how you guys wear them.
wchadw

Post by wchadw »

Jstocks wrote:Ok, one more crazy question before I order.
Pants in or out of these?

It asks on the form, so curious how you guys wear them.
I tuck mine in to keep ticks out

Prohunter3509

Post by Prohunter3509 »

Best boots I own
Toe caps I think are worth it I like mine I own 2 pair
Wouldn't trade for anything else
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Sent my order in this past week and should have by mid February. Thanks for all the replies. I hope I like them as much as you guys do. Gonna be different than wearing my signature cut off lacrosse granges.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”