2020 in Montana

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2020 in Montana

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Montana 2020

Besides all the other craziness of 2020, hunting season has been about normal for me this year. I started the 2020 season off on turkeys in Montana in April. I finished that off in the SD Blackhills in May.

I bought a used 2012 Tundra to use in place of my 2006 Tacoma that my youngest son is now driving. I feel sorry for the Tacoma.

Elk rubs always pop out at me while hunting turkeys.

Deadheads are always interesting but this one was a little too old and chewed on for me to carry it out:

My favorite photo from turkey season of my Blackhills bird:
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 2020 in Montana

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

We did a couple hiking days in the summer but nothing too crazy.

Due to daycare issues, I spent a lot of time with my granddaughter this year and worked remotely from home a lot.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I also had a cria born later in the year than I’d have liked, but he’s been doing good. Hopefully he, Marco, and Pedro will be solid pack llamas in the future.

He loves his momma.

I had removed my previous shed because of wind damage and because they wouldn’t use it. I decided to try again and put up a small metal shed for him to have protection from the winter. They’ve started using it.

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I look forward to archery elk all year, but I was really looking forward to getting out of the house after this summer and getting into the mountains more. I decided to use a base camp this year instead of packing in.

For the most part, the elk have kicked my ass in archery season. It’s actually to the point of being both discouraging and embarrassing. I got on a few bulls and thought one or two of them was going to commit, but I had nowhere near the encounters that I feel like I should have had and heard nowhere near the bugles that I think I should have heard. I still got some nice photos of my days in the mountains.

Opening weekend with my oldest son:

Granddaughter around camp:

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Second week vacation was filled with heat and smoke and the occasional bugle and close encounter:

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

The following weekend was much cooler weather, but I still struggled to get on many elk. My wife stayed in camp with me again.

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I did a few day hunts too.

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Antelope and Pheasant

While archery season is still in, I probably won’t make it back out for elk again until rifle and even then it won’t be a lot. I did however do a 4 ½ day combo hunt for pheasant and antelope. My wife and my griffon traveled with me for this hunt.

Finn:

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Roosters:

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I spent one evening then a little more than half the next day trying to catch up to an antelope. The rain and hail ran me back to the truck on the second day but I sat around in the truck then took off again about an hour and a half before dark. While hiking back to the truck I had an opportunity to shoot a little buck just before dark. He was only 7 tenths of a mile from the truck in relatively flat ground and I’d already decided to not be picky. Yes, I had to clean milk off of his mouth for the photos. :)

With editing:

Without:

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Crazy awesomeness, Shane. Pictures are off the charts, as always!
Good stuff!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Cool! Enjoyed those.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Couldn’t find a limb to hang that rooster off of eh?
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Looks like 2020 hasn't been too bad to you! Good luck on that elk!
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

SwampDrummin wrote: October 16th, 2020, 8:45 pm Couldn’t find a limb to hang that rooster off of eh?
That may be the longest pheasant spur that I've killed. Needle sharp too. It's definitely not a bird from this year's hatch. I think it's a better spur than most of the Merriam's that I've killed. 😀
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I still have quite a bit more hunting to do this year, unless something out of my control happens.

I'll hunt the opening weekend of the general elk season with my youngest son. I'd like to go stay at some friends' wall tent elk camp because I love the camp, but my son wants to try to find a bull. The wall tent camp is set up in a spike only unit.

Between now and general elk, I'll likely get out at least once with one of the other two bird dogs and look for local birds. I'll do that mostly so they can have some time afield.

In November I'll elk hunt with a rifle as often as I can, but my main hunt for that month will be a combo mule deer rut/pheasant hunt. I've done this hunt the last four years. I left the bird dog home one of the years because I took a buddy along to look for his first mule deer. My oldest son will likely be going with me this year. I think I'll just update this thread as a semi-live hunt instead of doing a stand alone mule deer thread this year.

I'll take my youngest son out locally to look for a mule deer also.

Between then and the end of the year, I'll do at least one more multi-day pheasant hunt and I'll look to fill a cow tag that runs until January if I've not already filled the tag.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

IMG_20201016_153622293.jpg
IMG_20201016_153616767.jpg
Pheasant parmesan:
IMG_20201016_184816526.jpg

I'm going to try a stew using the legs and thighs.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I was planning to take one of the dogs out locally this weekend, but I've changed my mind.
Screenshot_20201016-195554.png
I spent at least half the day winterizing our pool and prepping my yard, driveway, and patio for snow. I usually like to let the first snow bury everything then wait until it melts to clean up, so I'm ahead of the game even if it was last minute.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Outstanding pictures!

Granddaughter at camp is precious memories righ there
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Looks like she's a Grampa's girl!
She's cuter than a bugs ear!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Hognutz wrote: October 17th, 2020, 4:29 am Looks like she's a Grampa's girl!
She's cuter than a bugs ear!
I rate pretty high, but Mamaw is still a notch above me.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

IMG_20201017_075820625.jpg
A couple inches of snow here at home so far.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Ouch!!
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Shane, your living many man's dreams out there! Amazing turkey season and not too shabby on the scenery as well! Yup, getting some granddaughter time as well here being retired and living within 4 miles of both son's families. We've had some fun hunts here in South Florida. I didn't get to connect on turkeys this years, but my son got a nice one on a quick hunt on second week of the season that I posted back then. We've done several archery and muzzleloader deer quota permit hunts. No luck on them. But back in September I hunted with my son and daughter-in-law at the new place in East Central Florida just off the St. Johns River. Archery opening weekend we didn't an early morning hunt. I took a really nice 8pt that we had seen on camera several times at 7 yards less than 100 yards from their RV trailer within 45 minutes of set up with my new crossbow as I have disability permit.

By the way, your country reminds me of the scenery I've seen on the FireboxStove YouTube channel. Check it out. Some awesome backcountry trout lakes the company owner hits with his dogs and pack goats! Promotes his stuff but great views.
IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG
Don
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Swampstalk wrote: October 17th, 2020, 2:54 pm Shane, your living many man's dreams out there! Amazing turkey season and not too shabby on the scenery as well! Yup, getting some granddaughter time as well here being retired and living within 4 miles of both son's families. We've had some fun hunts here in South Florida. I didn't get to connect on turkeys this years, but my son got a nice one on a quick hunt on second week of the season that I posted back then. We've done several archery and muzzleloader deer quota permit hunts. No luck on them. But back in September I hunted with my son and daughter-in-law at the new place in East Central Florida just off the St. Johns River. Archery opening weekend we didn't an early morning hunt. I took a really nice 8pt that we had seen on camera several times at 7 yards less than 100 yards from their RV trailer within 45 minutes of set up with my new crossbow as I have disability permit.

By the way, your country reminds me of the scenery I've seen on the FireboxStove YouTube channel. Check it out. Some awesome backcountry trout lakes the company owner hits with his dogs and pack goats! Promotes his stuff but great views.

IMG_0182.JPG[/attachmentIMG_0160.JPG

That's a good looking buck, probably even more so for Florida. I've had a development on trying to get to Florida next spring. Friends of ours here in MT have moved back to Florida. Her dad has been a real estate agent down there for years. I've met him a couple times before. Apparently he's got a lot of land connections. He found out we were planning a visit next spring and that I was going to turkey hunt. I have no idea how good it will be, but says he'll have private land lined up for me to hunt. I know it's Osceola country but not sure if it's far enough south for the earliest season or not.

I suppose it could be a flop, but this guy is a good guy and seems pretty sharp. I think he's really happy we are coming to visit because my wife and his daughter are good friends and he wants her to be happy back in Florida with his grandkids.😁. I think he knows I put his son-in-law on his first tom and mule deer buck when he was having some struggles. The son-in-law will hunt with me on this trip too.
Last edited by Hobbes_mobile on October 17th, 2020, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”