Jim Spencer's Bad Birds 2

Vendor announcements, news, specials, etc..
Jim Spencer

Jim Spencer's Bad Birds 2

Post by Jim Spencer »

Hey, y'all, I'm finishing up production work on Bad Birds 2, the sequel to the original Bad Birds that was published in 2010. A complete description and ordering information is in a post I just made in the Classifieds forum. Go over there and read about it, and then get out your checkbooks. You wouldn't believe how dang expensive it is to make a book happen.

I'd appreciate all the pre-orders I can get. Thanks for your consideration.
Jim Spencer

Re: Jim Spencer's Bad Birds 2

Post by Jim Spencer »

Dang, 123 lookie-loos and not a single comment. I already knew I was a has-been, but..
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

All the comments in the classifieds poat 😆

You get my pre order???
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
crow

Post by crow »

Maybe spice it up a bit to get the comments started,

something like---- would a strutter robot decoy still function and be able drive thru a chufa patch if it got shot with a load of TSS?

I'll be placing an order and looking forward to reading your new book.
I would also get it on audio CD's if you ever would offer it that way
Jim Spencer

Post by Jim Spencer »

hoobilly wrote: August 1st, 2020, 10:44 pm

You get my pre order???
I did. Matter of fact, you're getting copy 1 of 1,000. (Of course, everybody else who buys a copy is, too, since they ain't numbered and I can put anything in the inscription I want to.)
Jim Spencer

Post by Jim Spencer »

crow wrote: August 1st, 2020, 10:46 pm Maybe spice it up a bit to get the comments started,

something like---- would a strutter robot decoy still function and be able drive thru a chufa patch if it got shot with a load of TSS?

Crow, something like that strutter robot decoy thing might be a good idea, but I think a raffle might be a better one. So how 'bout this:

ANNOUNCING THE FIRST AND ONLY BB2 RAFFLE!!!!!
Only $20 per ticket, and you're guaranteed to win a book!!!!!

Regarding the audio CD thing: With my hillbilly hick voice, I'd be lucky to sell a dozen copies.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Putting it on an audio CD seems like it would take a long time, especially if you sold very many.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
crow

Post by crow »

guesswho wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 12:39 pm Putting it on an audio CD seems like it would take a long time, especially if you sold very many.

You don't have to record them 1 at a time, all you would have to do is sit in the center of a room with good acoustics and put like 10 tape recorders all around you, problem solved.
crow

Post by crow »

Jim Spencer wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 12:13 pm
crow wrote: August 1st, 2020, 10:46 pm Maybe spice it up a bit to get the comments started,

Crow, something like that strutter robot decoy thing might be a good idea, but I think a raffle might be a better one. So how 'bout this:

ANNOUNCING THE FIRST AND ONLY BB2 RAFFLE!!!!!
Only $20 per ticket, and you're guaranteed to win a book!!!!!

Regarding the audio CD thing: With my hillbilly hick voice, I'd be lucky to sell a dozen copies.

Well I'm a gambling man so I'll take you up on the raffle option.

As far as your accent, there is always DVD's with the subtitle feature.
Jim Spencer

Post by Jim Spencer »

I'll take it under advisement, Crow. No fooling, I'm a pretty smart guy but I damn sure don't sound like it. I make Tom Kelly sound like William F. Buckley.

Don't hold your breath, though. I'm going to be out about 9 grand by the time BB2 is finished, and so far I've taken in about $500. Right now, the arithmetic ain't working so hot.
crow

Post by crow »

Yeah those numbers would make me a little nervous,
but like Colonel Tom said you won't have to ever shop for Christmas presents again.

I have several of the Tom Kelly books on audio and enjoy listening to them on hunting trips, He's one of the rare few who make it seem like your sitting around a campfire listening to someone tell a story.

All the best to you with your new book
Jim Spencer

Post by Jim Spencer »

I'm getting a few book orders from folks here on GN. Thanks very much to those of you who have ordered. Still lots of room in my post office box, though...
Jim Spencer

Post by Jim Spencer »

Thanks to all who have pre-ordered Bad Birds 2. Because of the big response, I'm extending the price reduction deadline until September 1. Go to the post I made in the classifieds for ordering info, and remember to order by the end of the month. I think we'll be getting books by mid-September.

If you haven't ordered, you're gonna miss out on some dang good reading. Just sayin...
Jim Spencer

Post by Jim Spencer »

UPDATE, Y'ALL. Bad Birds 2 has been delayed at the printer due to (what else) the Chinavirus. They tell me now I ought to have books in hand by Oct. 15 or so. Apologies to those who have pre-ordered.

FOR ALL THE REST OF YOU...I'll keep the $20 price alive for all orders received before October 1, but after that it's full price. I'm WAY underwater on this thing so far. Go over to the classifieds for the ordering info. I'll bring the ad back to the top. Thanks. Order a book. Baby needs a new pair of hunting boots.
Jim Spencer

Post by Jim Spencer »

Another update on my new book: After a horrible experience with the USPS where they lost almost 300 mailed books for nearly two months (they were hiding in a Memphis USPS processing facility,) sales of Bad Birds 2 have been pretty good and delivery has been prompt. But there's still some headspace left in my post office box every day, and I'd like very much to have to rent a bigger box. If you've been thinking about buying a copy, Christmas is coming fast. Just sayin'.

The price is $22 plus $5 s&h to Treble Hook Unlimited, POB 758, Calico Rock, AR 72519. Additional copies are $18 each (no limit) with no additional postage. Also, if you buy them along with a Bad Birds 2, you can get copies of my earlier turkey books (Turkey Hunting Digest and the original Bad Birds) for $12 each, also with no limit and no extra postage. This is a pretty good deal, since THD retails at $25 and BB at $16. If you prefer PayPal (it's quicker,) pay the appropriate amount to modernmountainman@gmail.com.

This is a damn good book, y'all, if I do say so myself. Maybe it doesn't quite measure up to Tenth Legion, but it's the best stuff I'm capable of producing. Here's something Louisiana outdoor writer Glynn Harris said about it in his recent outdoor column in the Farmington (LA) Gazette:

"Bad Birds 2 contains 40 stories of Spencer’s encounters with tough old birds, some he was able to conquer; some where the gobbler got the best of him. He affixed monikers to each of the bad ones he has met, names like Lazy bones, Gabby, Sir Edmund, Ringo, Blinky and on and on.

"As thrilling and frustrating and fun to read as Spencer’s stories are about the bad birds he has encountered, the book ends soberly with his epilogue where he describes in a manner only he can do of the problems wild turkeys are facing in today’s world. “Something is happening out there in turkey country, and we need to get a handle on it,” he wrote.

"This is a book every turkey hunter should read, for enjoyment, for pleasure and for instructions on what not to do. It’s also one that needs reading for his serious message about the plight of wild turkeys today."

Thanks, everybody. Merry Christmas, and Happy Good Riddance to 2020.
Shawnee Cowboy

Post by Shawnee Cowboy »

I bought my brother a copy of BB2 for Christmas. Excellent book Jim. I bought him Bad Birds last Christmas as well. Both books are great! Read your stories for years. God bless.
Jim Spencer

Post by Jim Spencer »

Thanks, Cowboy. Welcome to Gobbler Nation.

Return to “Vendor Alley”