Hike in the Mountains

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Hike in the Mountains

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

We drove up to the edge of the Bob Marshall Wilderness on Friday evening and did a pretty good hike on Saturday. The hike was approximately 10 miles round trip. We had another mile up to go to make it to the top and see the patrol station but my wife got sick and we had to turn back.

Evening before:

Hike Up:

Hike down:

There are a lot of wild flowers in the mountains. I couldn't begin to name them all. I know the red one is Indian Paintbrush.

Wild Flowers

CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hike in the Mountains

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Great pics, too bad your wife got sick, that sucks. Maybe this gives me somewhat of an idea what I'll be hiking in come November??
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

CamoMan4025 wrote: July 26th, 2020, 2:33 pm Great pics, too bad your wife got sick, that sucks. Maybe this gives me somewhat of an idea what I'll be hiking in come November??
I suspect that you'll do a good bit from horseback. That's a whole other set of muscles to make sore. :D

You also get a little greener the farther northwest you go.
Last edited by Hobbes_mobile on July 26th, 2020, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Thx for sharing the great pics. Hope your wife is feeling better.

What camera/lens did you use. (Please don't say smart phone!! LOL)
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Glad she’s alright otherwise

Beautiful pictures!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Good pics as always
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

HunterGKS wrote: July 26th, 2020, 3:40 pm Thx for sharing the great pics. Hope your wife is feeling better.

What camera/lens did you use. (Please don't say smart phone!! LOL)

Yep ........Motorola Moto Z3. I think it takes better photos than the camera that I used to use.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

hoobilly wrote: July 26th, 2020, 5:51 pm Glad she’s alright otherwise

Beautiful pictures!
She got better as we headed back down. It was a harder hike than she realized and she wasn't in shape for it. It kicked the crap out of her. She's good today.

She's the one that got me into the hike. It was supposed to be several women from church, but a bunch backed out. The three remaining (only one woman that has done it before) wanted more people because of the possibility of grizzlies. There ended up being myself and another couple going. A couple others had bear spray but none could have accessed it quick enough. I was packing the new 10mm and spray, both at the ready. (The gun was for myself since I can't hit a barn with it. They didn't know that though) The only problem was I was in back keeping my wife moving. A bear would have plowed over the whole group before I could have tried to stop it.

I looked at the trail on OnX before we went and knew that my wife was probably signing up for more than she was ready for. I wasn't terribly concerned about making it to the top, but I was a little disappointed after stopping at 5 miles of a 6 mile hike up.

I could make a comparison, but this is a family forum. :)
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Regardless Hobbes
You folks had a great day for a beautiful hike and super neat scenery!!! What a Garden of Eden with those beautiful wild flowers!!
Glad your wife got on the mends and I'm sure the next trip all will make it to the patrol station!! :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

soiltester wrote: July 27th, 2020, 7:12 am Regardless Hobbes
You folks had a great day for a beautiful hike and super neat scenery!!! What a Garden of Eden with those beautiful wild flowers!!
Glad your wife got on the mends and I'm sure the next trip all will make it to the patrol station!! :thumbup:

Yes, it was still a good day. I'm waking up now with my typical "2nd day after" soreness. A little coffee (maybe a lot) and some stretching and I'll be good.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: July 26th, 2020, 8:14 pm
hoobilly wrote: July 26th, 2020, 5:51 pm Glad she’s alright otherwise

Beautiful pictures!
She got better as we headed back down. It was a harder hike than she realized and she wasn't in shape for it. It kicked the crap out of her. She's good today.

She's the one that got me into the hike. It was supposed to be several women from church, but a bunch backed out. The three remaining (only one woman that has done it before) wanted more people because of the possibility of grizzlies. There ended up being myself and another couple going. A couple others had bear spray but none could have accessed it quick enough. I was packing the new 10mm and spray, both at the ready. (The gun was for myself since I can't hit a barn with it. They didn't know that though) The only problem was I was in back keeping my wife moving. A bear would have plowed over the whole group before I could have tried to stop it.

I looked at the trail on OnX before we went and knew that my wife was probably signing up for more than she was ready for. I wasn't terribly concerned about making it to the top, but I was a little disappointed after stopping at 5 miles of a 6 mile hike up.

I could make a comparison, but this is a family forum. :)
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: Pray and spray

Hiking can be tough. I missed a turkey once in Kentucky and my buddy took me for a hike to try and find another. WLked me to death. Sore for 3 days after that I was
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Yea, supposedly we stay in a lodge, vehicle so many miles to the horses then ride so many miles then hike. I've heard riding horses works muscles you've never used. I'm not sure I've ever been on one. Guess I need to find a trail ride or something here in VA before I go out????
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Sir-diealot

Post by Sir-diealot »

Wonderful pictures, you did a great job taking them. Hope to make it to the mountains one day, not the ones here in NY either.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”