Another Project Bites the Dust!!!!

For all the Gobbler Nation "do-it-yourselfers".
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Another Project Bites the Dust!!!!

Post by HunterGKS »

My outside basement door is almost never used; the last time was at least 5 years ago &, since then,
it was pretty much covered with ivy. This past November, I had a new propane furnace installed & it
had to go in through that door. I pulled off all the ivy & discovered that the door was in pretty bad
condition so I added it to my list of projects for the spring & summer.
001 Before.jpg
I started getting together all the 2x4s I had & determined that I needed a piece of 2”x10”x6’ for the
side where the door is hinged. So it was off to Lowe’s for the lumber & all the hardware I needed.
I had been trying to figure out how to support the left side of the door & wasn’t having any luck. Then,
as I stood there looking things over, the little light lite & I said to myself, self, I said: “Take your circular
saw & cur 2” from the main 2”x8” so the door rests on the concrete side wall. SHAZAM!! Problem solved!!
After measuring & cutting, I had the frame ready to go. I plan on used the metal from my old barn door
to cover the frame. I hate trying to cut the metal by hand & may see if any of the local rental stores have
electric shears.

I got the frame mounted with only 1 minor adjustment. I had nailed a 2”x4” to the old door header board
to support the top of the door. I had mounted it about 1” too high & had to move it down. Not a big deal.
002 Frame.jpg
The next step was to cut the sheet metal to fit, which is a major PIA when doing it by hand. I got real lucky
& only had to make two cuts totaling 4’. I had a piece of channel that I cut to size & mounted at the top of
the door to keep rain from entering through the ridges.
003Unwashed.jpg
Pre-wash.

Washed & scrubbed the door & outside frame as well as taping the old holes from underneath. The tape held
& the paint filled the holes completely.
004 Washed.jpg
Post Wash.

I gave the door 3 coats of white exterior paint & the old wood inside the door 3 coats as well.
005 1st Coat.jpg
1st Coat.
006 2nd Coat.jpg
2nd Coat.
007 3rd Coat.jpg
3rd Coat.

I was surprised & very pleased that everything fit & went together so well. Except for moving 1 2by, everything
else fit perfectly.

Except for the framing hardware & the 2”x10”x6’, everything I used was salvaged from my old barn so it does pay
to be a pack rat at times. All told, the door cost under $20.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Another Project Bites the Dust!!!!

Post by guesswho »

As much cooking and work as you do I don’t see have you have any time to take pictures.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Another Project Bites the Dust!!!!

Post by HunterGKS »

guesswho wrote: June 12th, 2020, 3:16 pm As much cooking and work as you do I don’t see have you have any time to take pictures.
It's called multi-tasking. Like this afternoon, I started replacing some wood around a bathroom window.
I got to a stopping point, went outside & did some painting, then back in to do some more wood work,
& create this post as well as 1 on FB & another on Ohio Sportsman. I'll do some caulking & then put on
a 2nd coat of paint & so on & so forth the rest of the afternoon.

I had to learn how to do this while in the USAF & it has stood me in good stead through my working life
& after.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “DIY”