Concerns

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Concerns

Post by appalachianassassin »

With the world going bat **** crazy over covid19. Is anybody going to hunt out of state or stay close to home?
El Sicario
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Concerns

Post by jsh909 »

Both, but I camp out of the back of my truck and don't need to go anywhere other than the woods. For me it changes nothing. I just take my supplies from home and head out. Other than possibly seeing another hunter in the woods and fueling up I don't interact with anyone face to face anyways.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

My only concern would be going to a state and not being able to come home. If that is even possible.
El Sicario
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Yea they could possibly impose domestic travel restrictions, but I don't really see that happening. It would be next to impossible to close/police domestic boarders. I guess that is not a concern of mine. However if it would happen you could lose a lot of money in licensure and tags if they don't refund it. Again I doubt it would come to that since it's an activity that doesn't require human contact. If you use common sense in your travels, you will be fine in my opinion.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

I'm going either way. Just hope I don't get stuck 5 states from home.
El Sicario
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

Heading to Mississippi tomorrow, but it's just next door, so I think I'll be alright. Good luck all.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

jhogue wrote: March 25th, 2020, 12:52 am Heading to Mississippi tomorrow, but it's just next door, so I think I'll be alright. Good luck all.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk
Awesome! Good luck brother, put some blood on that call.

Post by 935 »

I just got back from Florida. My plan was "pay at the pump and pee in a bottle." I did have to talk to Habibe at 1 convenance store when my card didn't work at the pump, but overall very little contact with others.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Well, just from my standpoint and it really doesn't mean anything (but I do have my own Prostaff), like jsh909 stated, you can't just shut down state line borders in the US. There are not enough law enforcement resources to do such a thing and I don't care if you call in the National Guard. Get in your vehicle drive to the state your going to hunt and kill em all! You won't be restricted from traveling. If that's done, then look at the millions of tractor trailers trying to deliver supplies for all these freaks out there trying to buy up everything. I can see it now on all major interstates having a checking detail at state lines....ok, you can go, nope you need to turn around, ok you're good.....not gonna happen.

If you do get stopped tell them you're on my Prostaff and we are immune to borders!!!

Good Luck,

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I wasn't planning any out of state travel until late May, so hopefully this will be cleared out by then. However, Montana is big enough and turkeys spread in enough varied terrain that I've kept my trips in state the last few years. I'll survive if I have to do that again. Good luck folks. If you get stuck in MT look me up. There are worse places that you could be confined to. :)
LAturkey

Post by LAturkey »

We’re under a restricted travel quarantine here in Louisiana but they said they have no plans to close interstates and state borders. I’ve been going back and forth to Mississippi with no problems
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: March 25th, 2020, 9:41 am I wasn't planning any out of state travel until late May, so hopefully this will be cleared out by then. However, Montana is big enough and turkeys spread in enough varied terrain that I've kept my trips in state the last few years. I'll survive if I have to do that again. Good luck folks. If you get stuck in MT look me up. There are worse places that you could be confined to. :)
What part of Montana? I'm coming out in November for an elk hunt. I'll be with these guys......https://www.westslopehunts.com/
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

CamoMan4025 wrote: March 25th, 2020, 9:12 am I can see it now on all major interstates having a checking detail at state lines....ok, you can go, nope you need to turn around, ok you're good.....not gonna happen.

Good Luck,

Kevin
They are doing that now at the border which I never thought would ever happen so not gonna happen could very well happen with this !
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I'm under a non-essential travel restriction (shelter in place) in my hometown until April 8th. Not being able to travel to hunt turkeys is the least of my concerns at this time. Gil
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

timbrhuntr......at the US/Mexico border? If so, yea, but that's a lot different than US states borders.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

CamoMan4025 wrote: March 25th, 2020, 10:26 am
Hobbes_mobile wrote: March 25th, 2020, 9:41 am I wasn't planning any out of state travel until late May, so hopefully this will be cleared out by then. However, Montana is big enough and turkeys spread in enough varied terrain that I've kept my trips in state the last few years. I'll survive if I have to do that again. Good luck folks. If you get stuck in MT look me up. There are worse places that you could be confined to. :)
What part of Montana? I'm coming out in November for an elk hunt. I'll be with these guys......https://www.westslopehunts.com/
I'm in Helena. Are you flying into Missoula?
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Yes, we will fly into Missoula and apparently we are only 45 minutes or so from the airport???
tracker8320

Post by tracker8320 »

I was heading back to Tennessee for the opener but cancelled. I would have been staying with sister and husband in their 80s. I don't want to take a chance and compromise them. Turkeys will be there next year
Wounded big game tracker with dogs...
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

I had a late April plan for NE TN camping and hunting but with the turmoil in healthcare right now I probably won’t be doing that now. Still hoping but chances are against it for me...
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

CamoMan4025 wrote: March 25th, 2020, 11:25 am timbrhuntr......at the US/Mexico border? If so, yea, but that's a lot different than US states borders.
No Can/US. My daughter is a nurse in Ann Arbor Mi and there is talk about not even allowing essential people to cross.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

CamoMan4025 wrote: March 25th, 2020, 3:53 pm Yes, we will fly into Missoula and apparently we are only 45 minutes or so from the airport???
Its probably a little more than an hour, but that's not far by MT standards. If you've not been there, it's beautiful country. Hopefully they can put you on a bull
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: March 26th, 2020, 9:05 am
CamoMan4025 wrote: March 25th, 2020, 3:53 pm Yes, we will fly into Missoula and apparently we are only 45 minutes or so from the airport???
Its probably a little more than an hour, but that's not far by MT standards. If you've not been there, it's beautiful country. Hopefully they can put you on a bull
I hope they can. We met them at a sports show in PA. Seem like very nice down to earth people. We will see, I'm looking at it from the "experience" standpoint!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”