Thoughts on "fanning"/"reaping'

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Trustyrusty

Thoughts on "fanning"/"reaping'

Post by Trustyrusty »

The guys at the big house threw a new one on everyone this season.
Some folks seem to think it's a law to provide safety while others think it's just a misunderstanding of a SOMETIMES useful technique to bag a bird. Some claim it's to keep the harvest numbers down for reproduction purposes because "SC has a low turkey population" and the growing popularity of reaping or fanning toms has impacted the number of bred hens resulting in annual decreases in hatches.

-Is it legal in your state? Public or private...
- have you tried this technique? Successful or not?
- should it be banned in general? Why or why not?

This is simply for a knowledgeable discussion/debate. No need to get bent out of shape over another person's opinion on the matter.
What say you?Image

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Thoughts on

Post by CamoMan4025 »

This topic has been brought up here before. It's like beating a wasp nest, you don't know what's going to come out and which way it's gonna fly. Maybe try doing a search on the forum to see what comes up.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Man its pretty sad when a guy can't even get a crap disturbing thread off the ground anymore :lol:
Trustyrusty

Re: Thoughts on "fanning"/"reaping'

Post by Trustyrusty »

With all due respect, I didn't join GN to use as a search engine.
Plus that thread had 16 posts and the only one that had anything remotely close to fanning/reaping was the OP.

Trustyrusty

Post by Trustyrusty »

timbrhuntr wrote:Man its pretty sad when a guy can't even get a crap disturbing thread off the ground anymore [emoji38]
Welcome to 2020

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Trustyrusty wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 10:16 am With all due respect, I didn't join GN to use as a search engine.
Plus that thread had 16 posts and the only one that had anything remotely close to fanning/reaping was the OP.

Did you bother to look at the other links or just 1?
George

Trustyrusty

Post by Trustyrusty »

I clicked on all 3, the 2nd one would not pull up. The 1st and 3rd brought up the same thread.
Also I searched the forum and the post that I could only preview would not pull up in it's entirety.

Trustyrusty

Post by Trustyrusty »

HunterGKS wrote:
Trustyrusty wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 10:16 am With all due respect, I didn't join GN to use as a search engine.

Did you bother to look at the other links or just 1?
I can see the photos now.

Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

I am not for or against, kill birds any way that is legal, if they make it illegal so be it, they are doing for safety reasons though I have yet to hear of anyone getting shot while reaping?

Michigan has a law against any motion on a decoy that is not due to wind, I am not positive on the wording.

The op brought up a new regulation so why would he search for something that never existed?
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

There are 5 links & they are all different. I was able to pull up
all 5. All you have to do is scroll up to get to the top of the string.
Sounds like whatever you are using to access the site has a problem.
George

Trustyrusty

Post by Trustyrusty »

Ok, you got me hook line and sinker. I have questions. Wait is it ok to ask questions here?..... Screw it I'm all in.

What was the shooters gun/choke/load combo?Image

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I am not one to stand up for mods but he didn’t really post anything new just read the question part of his post!
Trustyrusty

Post by Trustyrusty »

Dtrkyman wrote:I am not for or against, kill birds any way that is legal, if they make it illegal so be it, they are doing for safety reasons though I have yet to hear of anyone getting shot while reaping?

Michigan has a law against any motion on a decoy that is not due to wind, I am not positive on the wording.

The op brought up a new regulation so why would he search for something that never existed?
I have the same outlook. To me we are all out there for one general reason, to kill a turkey.
Do that by any legal means necessary, I know I do. Whatever tricks or techniques I can utilize to give me the edge on a gobbler, best believe I'll have it in my mind or my vest! I nor my hunting partner have ever "reaped" a bird. We have used a ridiculous fabric printed fan on popsicle sticks to peak over ridges, get the attention of a long distance bird, cover our movement from locked in birds, and hide our faces from trail cameras (just kidding).

I've never been so far from a decoy that I couldn't tell it was fake and have a gun capable of a pattern like that lol.

Last edited by Trustyrusty on March 23rd, 2020, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trustyrusty

Post by Trustyrusty »

Dtrkyman wrote:I am not for or against, kill birds any way that is legal, if they make it illegal so be it, they are doing for safety reasons though I have yet to hear of anyone getting shot while reaping?

You shouldn't be able to use a call in Michigan, all the mother freaking turkeys they got lol.
You can fart and locate 6 ahootable birds.

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Dtrkyman wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 10:34 am I am not for or against, kill birds any way that is legal, if they make it illegal so be it, they are doing for safety reasons though I have yet to hear of anyone getting shot while reaping?
Here you go:
https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/04 ... urkey-fan/
Trustyrusty

Post by Trustyrusty »

After reading that whole story from the investigators p.o.v., there were some serious mistakes made by both parties. All of which could have easily been avoided by obeying the law and using some common sense hunting safety guidelines.
This scenario could happen sitting 30 yards behind my DSD's.

Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

If you shoot at a human crawling behind a turkey fan you are the one responsible, you pulled the trigger not the clown behind the fan.

Seems there are more shot in other ways while turkey hunting which I also never could understand!

I rarely use a male decoy(or any decoy) on public land and if I do it is in the open where I should see anyone approaching.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Nope, nope, and nope. I'm not getting in this argument again. My head is sore from beating it against that wall for so many years.
Ultimate Predator
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Trustyrusty wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 11:58 am

I would be fine if they would just eliminate decoys all together, but that is a whole other hornets nest. Which has also been beat to death across the boards over the years
aristico

Post by aristico »

MKW wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 7:18 pm Nope, nope, and nope. I'm not getting in this argument again. My head is sore from beating it against that wall for so many years.
How about making some trumpets while we wait for the end of the world?

Put me on the waitlist while you're at it....
Trustyrusty

Post by Trustyrusty »

jsh909 wrote:
Trustyrusty wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 11:58 am

I would be fine if they would just eliminate decoys all together, but that is a whole other hornets nest. Which has also been beat to death across the boards over the years
[emoji2373] it would be fine if they did. Ain't nothing better than float calling with my buddy anyways.
Always carry the decoys with us because they have there place in the game also but most birds we kill on public don't ever see a decoy.
But I don't think removing decoys from the hunt will prove anything. The whole "stalking" thing and sneaking up on a bird is about stupid. But that's my opinion and I'm sure it's a dead horse too lol.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

aristico wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 8:54 pm
MKW wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 7:18 pm Nope, nope, and nope. I'm not getting in this argument again. My head is sore from beating it against that wall for so many years.
How about making some trumpets while we wait for the end of the world?

Put me on the waitlist while you're at it....
:usa: :usa: :usa:

yes yes yes!!!!!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I think Mike is working on a trumpet design with an enlarged bell with 18 holes around the edge. I assume that’s to stick tail feathers in so your trumpet can double as a fan. Call and reap!
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff

Return to “Gobbler Talk”