Scope vs Red Dot????

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
toasty

Scope vs Red Dot????

Post by toasty »

So I have been hunting with a burris fastfire for the last 3 years on my 28ga with TSS. My kids really struggle when they don't have a red dot. I was able to hunt a fall birds with the kids with a little lightweight 4x28 scope this year and they did much better with a scope vs a red dot. I put a scope on because we don't have to hike as much for fall birds. My red dot is 2.5oz mounted I am thinking about mounting a little 4x28 lightweight on my 28ga which will come in at 9oz total. Weight is critical as I usually do 5-10 miles on spring hunts here on public land. Opinions on which you guys like better for TSS and is the scope worth it for extra 6oz?
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Scope vs Red Dot????

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Want to sell that FFIII? :D
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
KS

Post by KS »

Just to point out the obvious if you drink 3 sips less water in the morning you’ll negate the 6 oz or carry 2 less shells
toasty

Post by toasty »

So you are saying the scope is well worth the extra weight and is better than a red dot? If I do scope my 28ga, that fastfire is going on my yildiz 410 single.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I’ve not shot a traditional scope for turkeys. But I would think for kids, with no magnification, open sight picture, and unlimited eye relief, target acquisition would be much faster and easier with a red dot. So I would think a better option for kids. But you say they did better with a scope, so I would use the scope. Weight difference is basically negligible.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

A little magnification is nice some times in wide open county! Have shot scopes and killed running gobblers and flying Canada geese not as fast as a red dot to acquire target but it can be done. The vortex venom is way faster if trying to find a running/flying target. Both are quite easy to use when hunting turkeys in most instances. If most shots are 35yds-50+yds and open county/field then I would most likely chose a sight with magnification.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

if its wide open hunting and mostly fields I can understand a scope

I feel 4x is too much optic and would rather have a 1-4x like the tomahwak Swampfox.

I had the Leupold 2-7x33 with the circle and crosshairs. I actually liked it. but was on my Ithaca 20ga when it was stolen. never bought another one and just use rifle sights or red dots now the Kingslayer has the green circle with a 3 moa beed. that is a really nice feature and would make it easier for a kid to use than just a plain red bead
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Weight is important to me also. I would always choose the red dot. I would just have the kids practice more with very light kicking loads until they become more comfortable with it. Magnification is a negative to me for finding turkeys moving behind a screen of brush for example.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

A good quality red dot. All day long..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I used a scope for my first two turkeys in 1997. I switched back to fiber optics after that. Then in 2008 I switched to a Pentax Lightseeker 2.5 power scope. I really like that scope. I used it on my 11-87 12 gauge. Which was always a heavy gun anyway. I used it for the last time this past spring for the last. Number one reason is that I have gotten scope eye a few times. It was all my fault this happened. Bad shooting positions was why it keep hitting me in the head. Second reason is because I want a lighter weight option.
This coming year I will be hunting with a 20 gauge mostly. It is a 870 20 gauge youth model. I am installing a EGW base and a Vortex Venom on it. The weight difference is a lot.
I will also be putting a red dot on my old 11-87 12 gauge too. I am thinking of trying the Kingslayer by Swampfox like Brice was referring too. I would go with a Reflex type sight. I know there is not must difference but I think it will be better for turkey hunting.
Mike
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Hognutz wrote: February 12th, 2020, 8:24 am A good quality red dot. All day long..
Agree, like to hit the spring woods lean and mean. I personally do not like the added bulk of a scope on a turkey gun.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
toasty

Post by toasty »

Thanks for all the feedback. My speed bead setup on the ultralight is slick and has worked well for several years. I am always looking for hunting related projects to pass the time until hunting season starts. I think we will just practice a lot this spring and get them very proficient with the red dot.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Hard to see why the kids don't shoot the red dot as accurately as they do the scope. While the scope aims "smaller", this shouldn't be that big an issue with a shotgun shooting at turkey ranges. What minute of angle is the red dot? An 8 MOA red dot covers a 3.2" circle at 40 yards. 3 MOA covers 1.2 circle at 40. However, it may be question of confidence rather than equipment and confidence in equipment can be a factor in their accuracy. Your idea of practice with the red dot is a good idea and it will instill the necessary confidence. As suggested, use light loads in practice and pull the switcheroo with TSS when it comes to hunting. They won't know the difference when the trigger is pulled on a turkey. Gil
toasty

Post by toasty »

It is a 4 moa. These boys shoot scoped rifles often and they have become very comfortable and accomplished with scopes. The red dot is completely new and I think perhaps, due to a completely different cheek weld than me, they are having trouble finding the dot. I may add some foam to the comb to raise it up and then we will practice with the red dot to get them as comfortable with the red dot as with the scope.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Foam to the comb may just be your best answer. Cheek weld is very important no matter what sights you would use. Good luck with the boys practice wont hurt one bit either and should be fun too.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

4 MOA covers 1.6" circle at 40 so that's not an issue with turkeys. To raise the comb on a Super Bantam, I used the Bear Tooth Kit. Same could be done with a piece of pipe insulation cut in half length ways and Gorilla taped to the stock. It sure would look purty. Gil
https://www.beartooth-products.com/coll ... iece-riser
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

I have used a 1-4x20 leuplod. It worked as advertised with no problems. I shoot it with two eyes open and works just like a red dot only crisper.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

toasty wrote: February 12th, 2020, 1:43 pm It is a 4 moa. These boys shoot scoped rifles often and they have become very comfortable and accomplished with scopes. The red dot is completely new and I think perhaps, due to a completely different cheek weld than me, they are having trouble finding the dot. I may add some foam to the comb to raise it up and then we will practice with the red dot to get them as comfortable with the red dot as with the scope.
Excellent suggestion on the foam and cheek weld - wish I had thought to mention that. I did that on my 686 UL. I had the same issue with my eye being positioned too low to have a good cheek weld and still see the dot easily. I went cheap and taped a piece of neoprene I had cut from an old pair of waders on top of the stock. Gets the eye up where it needs to be and has the added benefit of padding the cheek bones against gun slap. Helps a lot.

Return to “Gun Talk”