Use Enough Gun

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Use Enough Gun

Post by guesswho »

I was a cool kid. I was killing turkeys with 20’s and. a 410 in the 60’s. I just wish we would have had Facebook and forums back then so I could have told everybody.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

guesswho wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 10:15 am I was a cool kid. I was killing turkeys with 20’s and. a 410 in the 60’s. I just wish we would have had Facebook and forums back then so I could have told everybody.
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

guesswho wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 10:15 am I was a cool kid. I was killing turkeys with 20’s and. a 410 in the 60’s. I just wish we would have had Facebook and forums back then so I could have told everybody.
You’re still cool, Ronnie!! :lol:
My first bird was killed with a 12 ga. trap reload. 7 1/2 shot, fixed modified choke. No camo nothing...Killed him dead. I mean really dead!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

TSS dead?
Double Naught Spy!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Deader!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

guesswho wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 3:24 pmTSS dead?
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

:lol:
Double Naught Spy!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Do you a coroner's report to substantiate just how dead the bird was??
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I’ve had a couple that were faking it. Once, I had a dead bird run away from me! I guess that there are several degrees of dead so lately I’ve been opting for the “really” dead mode! :lol:
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

When you are not shooting tss
E8B682BC-F203-4610-8451-85DF9194A365.jpeg
firedup

Post by firedup »

Deader than TSS dead is getting pretty darn dead. Is that like a zombie dead? THAT'S kinda scary if I think about it.

I started with the 20 purely because it was a lot lighter to carry and I am getting old. But going back, I toted some big 12's and patterned every "new" turkey load that came along. The old Winchesters Supreme's and the Activ's were killers. But Hevishot (I really like the old Remington hevishot in #6 ALOT) was a game changer. Then Fed HW #7's and now TSS. I like to know what the shots going to do and willing to put in the effort to find out. Killing at 70 is not part of the plan … ever. I was at the range today and several guys were looking at my turkey guns and patterns. One guy said he was a turkey killing machine and only hunted with a 22-250 (legal here). His buddy piped in and said he shot one last year at 70 yards with his old full choke 12 ga. He couldn't remember what shells or shot they were but they were cheap at Walmart. But he was happy. But it makes me think about the OP and how he is spot on. Have 12 ga (or 410) buy a cheap box of shells with a turkey picture on it and go hunt. No practice, patterns, POA/POI, yardage, nothing. No real respect for the bird. Makes no sense to me. IF I DECIDE to pull the trigger …… I want him Hognutz / Ronnie dead!!

True confession: I did take a 410 double to the range today. Shot the fixed full choke with Fed TSS #9 at 30 and quickly decided its a 25 yard gun at best.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Very interesting thread. As I age (now 73) I am becoming more and more recoil and weight conscience. The 410 with TSS seemed like a logical alternative. I am in the process of setting up a recently purchased 301. Nothing about this purchase has been easy so far. Couldn't find the gun locally - ordered from "Bud's" in KY - first gun I ever bought on line (muzzleloader excepted) - worked out ok - shipped to a local pawn shop who did the federal paperwork etc. Step #2 - went looking for an aftermarket choke. Most everything sold out. Finally ordered a Jeb's .385 from a secondary supplier. It hasn't arrived yet but shows "in process". Fingers crossed. Step #3 - looking for 410 TSS ammo. Did find a small supply of Federal at Bass Pro. See a few on this thread not happy with Federal TSS. Why? So far an e mail to Apex is unanswered. I'm seeing Nitro is marketing some various TSS loads. Over the years many have complained about Nitro's customer service and premium price. Still a problem?? I personally have not shot a turkey at over 35 yards in several years. We use decoys and a grassed in netting 99% of the time. Decoys are routinely set at 25 yards. Most kills at 27 or 28 steps. Just the way it works out. BTW - if I'm not comfortable with the pattern of this 301 it will become a youth hunter squirrel gun and my old 12ga 870 will be my first choice. Always glad for more feedback.
Add - I put two FL birds on this forum's "kill thread" last season (kills #2 and #11). Both taken with 12ga Federal 3" TSS in #7. Both under 25 yards. Watched my buddy take the second half of a buddy double using Browning 7/9 TSS. Range under 30. We like the TSS but I have always been uncomfortable of the way it is being marketed as a long range turkey killer since, as has been mentioned, few casual hunters will spend the $$$ to pattern it thoroughly IMO.
Just added a post to this section regarding a new .410 load that went on sale today.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

I hope this isn't a trend but a guy on another forum is thinking about using his "Judge" pistol and TSS this season. IMO a little extreme. Of course this was on a forum where a lot of people often say things just for shock or argument. I always thought the Judge was a little gimmicky at best but to each his own. BTW - the State this guy is most likely in would allow, on private land only, the Judge's second round to be a .45. Will probably sound like a gun fight. Eeek. :roll:
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Next it’ll be a .410 derringer.
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

And then a .410 Apple watch!!!!
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Yes - this new .410 frenzy could easily go to extremes. Hope it doesn't. Also hope those that go the .410 route take the time and spend the $$ necessary to pattern their guns at various ranges. Some will some won't. One limiting factor will be that by April many .410s and all related TSS shells, chokes, etc will be OUT OF STOCK. Normally things go out of stock soon after the NWTF Convention. Might not be a bad thing. :!:

Post by 935 »

You can tell by my username that I'm a 3.5 inch 12 gauge kinda guy. But I'm intrigued by TSS and sub gauges. Being someone who will pay extra to get to do something myself getting to do all the testing required would be fun. I ain't sold yet but I'm reading and learning.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

935 I was a skeptic at first and first started loading a tss 12ga 2oz load and after patterning and killing at extreme ranges I went to 20ga and am fine with range and patterns it gives me they are plenty long distance. I can make 10 shells per pound of tss and only cost $5 per shell. I also take my 410 with me some days and loads for that are around $2.50 a shell.
bkraft

Post by bkraft »

"Question for everyone.. which gun company made the first dedicated turkey 410?" Stevens?
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Saw a YouTube video of a fellow shooting several different loads with some being the TSS offerings. As an experiment he shot a target at ( I think) 70 ish yds. The target showed several hits in kill zone but at the shot I saw dust jump around the stand as the pattern spread opened up. I won’t give my opinion but the video clearly showed what it showed....
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
dirtnap

Post by dirtnap »

I made the switch to a 20 about 8 years ago after I saw how effective they were with my son's setup. He was shooting 2 3/4 inch HW 7's. That coupled with the trigger on my 835 broke on an out of state trip and I brought my son's youth model 870 as a back up. I was a little skeptical the first time I hunted with it. After the trip was over, I remember thinking/wishing I had made the switch long before. I was shooting 3" HW 7's and still am. When I run out, I reckon I will switch over to TSS, but I see no reason to not use up the HW 7's first. I have about a hundred or so left.

I have several .410's as well and set them up primarily for my kids to hunt with. My daughter is 11 now and may transition over to a 20 this year. I hunted with a .410 several years ago and just limited my shots to close range. I never had a problem with it killing a turkey. I did kill one right at 40 yards with it, but the rest were between 15 - 30 yards. I let some walk off that were in my mind too far for a .410. Probably right at 45 yards.

Return to “Small Bore”