Choccolocco WMA

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
KeithLBPI

Choccolocco WMA

Post by KeithLBPI »

Hey y'all

Looking to hunt Choccolocco for spring turkey this year in Alabama. Really having trouble scouting the area online, and the drive is too far (over 4 hours) to scout this time of year. All maps I find are blurry and do not really show the land well.

I've always been a bad turkey hunter as well. Any tips and tricks for eastern turkeys, specifically on this WMA is greatly appreciated.

Keith
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Choccolocco WMA

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I've never set foot on it, but Google Maps in Satellite and 3D seems fairly detailed. However, it looks like continuous hardwood ridges with interspersed pines. In my opinion, that kind of terrain requires boots on the ground. I wouldn't do it until birds are gobbling. I'd listen in the mornings and cover some ground mid day. As far as a long drive, 4 hours doesn't qualify. :)
KeithLBPI

Post by KeithLBPI »

Actually, it's 9.5 hours... A bit further than expected, but doable for a week trip. I will be there atleast 1 day before the season to try and scout a bit.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Ahhh....9.5 hours is hunting and scouting all at the same time for me. There is no early scouting unless I have to be in the region for work or something on trips that far. Good luck.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

So many turkeys you wont know which gobble to go after.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

swampchicken wrote: October 31st, 2019, 5:45 pm So many turkeys you wont know which gobble to go after.
Lolololol
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

swampchicken wrote: October 31st, 2019, 5:45 pm So many turkeys you wont know which gobble to go after.
:turkeywave: :LMAO:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Yeah, that's been my experience on public land in Bama. 😆😆😆
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I hunted there one time a few years ago. Only heard one gobbler and he quit gobbling about 8:30. A couple locals at a burger joint was telling us it used to be a pretty good place, but that we were pretty much wasting our time now. Pretty typical local info for public land.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
KeithLBPI

Post by KeithLBPI »

Thanks for the info guys. Time to build my calves more lol

If anyone is every down in central or SW FL let me know. Cant get an osceola turkey, but I know where to go and stay away from.
crow

Post by crow »

I was hoping this was a newly discovered exotic trumpet wood and that WMA is an alias for MKW starting back up making yelpers.

But I can't find Choccolocco anywhere on the Jenga scale and haven't heard any rumors about the trumpets.
deerhunt1988

Post by deerhunt1988 »

Super tough hunting early in the season... Birds aren't very fired up and weekend pressure is intense.. Got beat to the first two gates I went to before 4:00AM on the Sunday of opening weekend last year. Had heard/found birds at the spots the previous day. If i head back there, reckon I'll just sleep at the gates where I know birds are! That being said, I hunted it some during the week in 2018 and there seemed to be only 1/4 of the weekend pressure.

Another thing to note..I expect even more pressure this spring due to a lot of YouTube vids of folks hunting the area and killing birds. Those vids revealed lots of jakes which will make the area even more attractive for spring 2020.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

crow wrote: November 1st, 2019, 6:39 am I was hoping this was a newly discovered exotic trumpet wood and that WMA is an alias for MKW starting back up making yelpers.

But I can't find Choccolocco anywhere on the Jenga scale and haven't heard any rumors about the trumpets.
We can only hope that he starts back at it sooner..

I have access to some ipe that I would love to have made into a trumpet
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
firedup

Post by firedup »

Hunted Choccolocco year before last. Had birds but wasn't impressed. You are also on the edge/ near the Talledega NF which is also public hunting and HUGE, 400,000 acres. Ended up spending more time hunting there and had some good hunts. Do some research on the NF. You might find it more to your liking. Good maps available from NF service. Topozone, USA topo, Acme mapper all should have quality maps of the area. onx hunt app is a pay for mapping app that works on your phone and is pretty good.
Frankinthelaurels

Post by Frankinthelaurels »

Hi Ted there a while back for 4 days...never heard a single gobble...
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I’ve hunted it quite a bit. It seems to get more crowded every year.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”