Binos for turkeys

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
brobi9

Re: Binos for turkeys

Post by brobi9 »

HunterGKS wrote: February 18th, 2019, 1:51 pm Based on the title, I've been waiting for Ronnie or somebody to make a comment but have been
disappointed. So I'll say it:

With a turkey's already fantastic eyesight, why would you want to get "Binos for turkeys?"
I use them to glass through corners of the road when I’m covering ground. I can see through brush a lot better with them than without them. Don’t use them much set up.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

ncturkey wrote: February 18th, 2019, 2:15 pm This is what I use for hunting?
How are Pentax optics? Always thought of them as high end cameras, surveying lenses. Than sportsman's guide always hat their Scopes and binoculars cheap
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I had an expensive pair of Pentax 10x42 binoculars which had really good light gathering lenses with no edge distortion and really sharp definition, until they lost their ability to focus. I take really good care of all my optics and the Pentax binos, which had a lifetime warranty, were never dropped or shocked. Trying to get a resolution on the warranty from Pentax, after they inspected the binoculars and concurred w/ my assessment, was a real trial. since my model w/ a lifetime warranty had been discontinued. I ended up getting an inferior pair of replacement binoculars from Pentax which had such poor optics that I gave them to my brother-in-law.
Mad_Baron

Post by Mad_Baron »

Hard to beat Leupold or Vortex. Buy the best you can afford but for turkeys 8 power should be plenty. High end binos are best gor long distance clarity or low light conditions. Also the high end stuff can be heavier. Any decent binos should be fine for turkeys. Leupold is made in USA, Vortex is not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

John Haines
Mad Baron Calls
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I went shopping around for something light and compact...and of course ended up with Vortex Viper HD 10x50s. ;)
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Burris Signature series semi-compact 8x32. They don’t make them anymore, which is a damn shame. Perfect for turkeys.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: February 18th, 2019, 3:32 pm
How are Pentax optics? Always thought of them as high end cameras, surveying lenses. Than sportsman's guide always hat their Scopes and binoculars cheap
I have had a pair of these for a few years and its what I use for turkey hunting
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... A514&smp=Y
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Swarovski 10x25 compacts. The best ain't cheap, but they are worth it. Their customer service is also second to none! I've owned these for many, many years. Twice they have completely replaced them for free when damaged, and they're sending me more free parts this week after I lost the rubber eye protectors. I'll never own anything other than Swarovski.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

I've never used binos in the spring woods. But I have never hunted open country either.
El Sicario
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

appalachianassassin wrote: February 26th, 2019, 9:18 am I've never used binos in the spring woods. But I have never hunted open country either.
I used to be the same. Then I started using them. Now I would turn around if I forgot them even if it made me late for gobble time. Give it a try.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Bustinbeards

Post by Bustinbeards »

I bought some Steiner predator pro 10x28. They are small very light and appear to have good glass in them worked well for deer season also.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I use a set of Leupold 10x50 green ring cause my buddy found a pair and a few beers also, when someone tossed when he was combining corn :LMAO:
Course' we are looking at distances of 3/4 miles a lot of times scouting and in some set ups ;)
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

appalachianassassin wrote: February 26th, 2019, 9:18 am I've never used binos in the spring woods. But I have never hunted open country either.
Lol used be same. In SD one year . I essentially painted myself in a corner. Outside swimming a freezing cold river I was screwed.

I see 3 big black birds 3/4 or so away in a huge field. Screw it I pound on a tube. They looked. Kept it up, it literally took them half the day to come all the way. Three friggen Jake's. I was pissed I'd wasted that much time. Since I normally have them.

At home I carry them 50 percent of time were pretty open but 40/80 acre fields. We always have 2 pairs of vortex on dash, as it's extremely effective to drive find a bird and formulate a plan in morning or evening.
firedup

Post by firedup »

I have Vortex Diamonbacks and Nikon Prostaff and nothing bad to say about either cept the weight, good in truck or on stand (in a blind maybe?) But I don't like to carry that much around usually. Personal opinion if they wont fit in a pocket use a harness, it really makes them easy to carry and use. Strictly for turkey hunting I now carry a 6X rangefinder, lets me peep around nicely, fits in pocket and does the range if needed.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: February 26th, 2019, 2:43 pm
Lol used be same. In SD one year . I essentially painted myself in a corner. Outside swimming a freezing cold river I was screwed.

I see 3 big black birds 3/4 or so away in a huge field. Screw it I pound on a tube. They looked. Kept it up, it literally took them half the day to come all the way. Three friggen Jake's. I was pissed I'd wasted that much time. Since I normally have them.

At home I carry them 50 percent of time were pretty open but 40/80 acre fields. We always have 2 pairs of vortex on dash, as it's extremely effective to drive find a bird and formulate a plan in morning or evening.
Yes sir that would piss me off as well. I do keep a pair of 10x50 nikon's in da truck. I plan to hunt the west and midwest in the next few years and will fo show have a pair of binos.
El Sicario
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

My best friend just gave me a brand new pair of Steiner 10x32 XC binoculars. I really like the fit, feel, & size of them. I can't wait until daylight to see how well they perform. He also bought a pair of the same model in 8X32 for himself. He said Steiner discontinued that XC model and he got a good deal on the pair. It remains to be seen if they bump my Leupold Gold Ring 10X28s out of my vest or not. I'm impressed how clear the Steiner optics appear to be.

We've been best friends since we were 8 & 9 years old (he's 363 days younger)...that's 49 years! I wish we'd kept track of how many turkeys we've called in for each other and how many deer & turkeys have died when we hunted together. It's been a lot. Thanks Buddy!

Jim
Bowhuntgobblers

Post by Bowhuntgobblers »

Alpen apex are nice for $$$ i use 8.5x50
PALongspur

Post by PALongspur »

I prefer 8x for all of my hunting here in the northeast. I’ve just found them easier to hand hold than 10x, and they’re more than enough for mountain hunting. I’ve got several pairs of Nikon Monarchs that I wear every time in the woods, and I always wear them on a harness.
mrlongbeard

Post by mrlongbeard »

Swarovski 10x30 Cl
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Had Nikons 8X42s for years, good value for the $. Currently have Leaupolds 10x- great glasses and believe these to be the tipping point as far as cost vs quality. As in; you can spend a lot more for minimal gain in quality. However I have heard nothing bad about the Vortex glass and would buy a set of 10-12x today if funds were available.... my Binos have to serve double duty so I need the light gathering. I also rank binoculars just beneath my shotgun and prob higher than my vest in order of importance as to what must go on a hunt- esp where I hunt.😎
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
jryser

Post by jryser »

I bought once cried once and will never use any other brand. Swarovski EL 10x42.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
deerhunt1988

Post by deerhunt1988 »

I just bought a set of Maven 7x28s and really like them. I own a pair of Viper HD 10x42s but did not need anything near that big for the woods. Wanted someone light and compact and the Mavens fit the bill perfectly. The Vipers will now strictly be 'truck' glass for me.
fairchild#17

Post by fairchild#17 »

Roger's sporting goods has Bushnell Legend M-series on sale for $159. These are the best glass Bushnell ever used and they have similar specs to $500-$600 optics. Independent reviews put them equivalent to Vortex Vipers with some testers claiming they were even sharper and brighter.
I just picked up a pair of 8x42. The light gathering potential is phenomenal and they are crisp and clear with ED glass, Rainguard, and fully coated lenses.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: February 18th, 2019, 3:32 pm
I like them. I have had them for 25 years.
Mike
henry02

Post by henry02 »

I have the vortex vipers 10x42 I love them and dont have any complaints but I bought my dad the nikons from here, now kinda jealous and wish I bought them for myself as well instead of my vipers!
I agree that high-end optics are the better long-term choice and can enhance your ability to spot and judge games. But a lot of people just can't afford them or justify the cost when income is limited.
Lots of animals are spotted, judged, and ultimately hit the ground using low-mid range optics.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”