How was your season?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.

How was your spring turkey season

Poll ended at May 21st, 2018, 11:32 am

Best Ever!
18%
Better Than Last Year!
20%
Average Season
33%
Weather Screwed Us
4%
Heard Gobbles
13%
Whats a Turkey?
13%

Total votes: 55

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

How was your season?

Post by Hoobilly »

As most states are finished and some are winding down, I gotta ask.. whats the consensus of the states you've hunted on this springs turkey season?

Seems I have been hearing more than a few thinking numbers are down. In some areas I would agree, but overall???

Weather has played a factor for lower than usual numbers checked in online in some sates.
Hunted Ky, Tn and Indiana.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
taylorjones20

Re: How was your season?

Post by taylorjones20 »

Toughest TN season I've ever had. Managed to kill 2 and was on a total of 5 kill hunts. Normally, we can get more than that in a weekend trip....
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

taylorjones20 wrote: May 16th, 2018, 11:37 am Toughest TN season I've ever had. Managed to kill 2 and was on a total of 5 kill hunts. Normally, we can get more than that in a weekend trip....
I hunted with Shooter for 4 days.. tough hunting there for sure. He had seen dozens of jakes last season, only to hear a few gobbles off and on in his areas he hunts.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

Birds didn't gobble that much but that's nothing new saw more Jake's this year's than I have in years called up up 8 long beards an 11 Jake's all but 2 of the gobblers came in silent never gobbled at all .Hunt N.C.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

well.....I hunted myself a total of 7 times to poke in a 6 bird limit. got my nephew on a biggun during the juvie hunt and put close friends on 5 big birds during the remainder of the season. not as good as last season but I still brought 12 to the gun. thankfully no one missed.
El Sicario
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I did okay on kills, but I heard and saw a lot fewer than last year. TN final kill numbers were 28,024 (male harvest), down from around 34,500 last year. More than 18% drop in one year, and the lowest kill total since reintroduction was completed. The jake kill numbers were also way down. Next year may be bleak.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

Somewhere between better than last year and best ever..lol..My 9 yr old son started the year off right by killing his first ever and I was able to scratch out a MS limit thanks to the last 2 weekends of season. Gobbling was hit and miss, mostly miss when I had the most time off to hunt. I did pick up again late season and for that I'm grateful.
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I QUIT........IF I DON'T KILL ONE SATURDAY ALL MY STUFF WILL BE IN MY FRONT YARD WITH A SIGN....."FREE TO A GOOD HOME"!!!!!!!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

I tagged out in 4 states and had my best season ever in terms of numbers. The area of GA that I hunted had more turkeys than I've seen since I started hunting it in 2004.
Fl strutter

Post by Fl strutter »

Awesome year in Florida!
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Good year for me. 👍🏻
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Not much to say one way or the other, went out opening morning, got a nice bird and got home before 10 am. (50 mile drive)
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

Somewhere between hugely disappointed & not good at all. The pursuit was fun, the results sucked.

Jim
forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

CamoMan4025 wrote:I QUIT........IF I DON'T KILL ONE SATURDAY ALL MY STUFF WILL BE IN MY FRONT YARD WITH A SIGN....."FREE TO A GOOD HOME"!!!!!!!
Let me know where you I might even pay you for it turkey hunting is not easy

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

merriamsman

Post by merriamsman »

Down year here in eastern Montana - bad winter must have hurt bird numbers.
Magdump

Post by Magdump »

Best season ever! Course i have only been hunting turkeys for 3 years. Got birds in VA,WV, MA, and NH. Will try to get PA checked off this or next weekend too.
deerhunt1988

Post by deerhunt1988 »

Pretty good...Managed to take birds in MS, AL, IL, IA, MO, NY, and PA. Birds seemed to be a week or two 'behind schedule' in almost every state with the late spring. The lack of foliage made it tough to move on birds and half of the ones I harvested had at least one hen with them. Saw several jakes during my travels, so thats promising. The past few springs I haven't seen many.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Was lucky in that I had as much free time as needed to really wear myself out. Kept a log and hunted 10 actual days (plenty of other scouting days prior to the opener). Took a bird on hunt day #5 then ended the season on hunt day #10 with bird #2. Never had a good feel for what stage the gobblers were in until the last hunt on 4/21 when they finally started being "strut zone big mouths" in large cattle pastures. 4/21 was the second to last day of the Florida season. Most other days I would hear early roost gobbling then nothing after flydown. The first bird killed on 4/4 came in with 5 other males and none of them gobbled that morning. If I didn't know they were around (trail cameras + previous hunts) I would have had a hard time staying motivated that morning. Pics of both birds in the Kill Thread. Just IMO but most states seemed to be behind schedule this year. Again IMO but I believe that is why KY (and a few other states) harvest figures went deeply into the dumpster.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Bird numbers are up a little from a few years ago when they were near impossible to find. The pressure increased to a level I had not seen outside of FL and stayed high with out of town hunters throughout the season.
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

Below average season between TN and Ky. Bird numbers down in both states especially TN.
TN hunting pressure less than last year KY pressure increased slightly.
Had 6 tags between the 2 states fortunate to have killed 2 mature 3 yr. old+ gobblers (one in each state). Killed both with 2oz #9 12ga planning on toting a 20ga next spring.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

CamoMan4025 wrote: May 16th, 2018, 5:03 pm I QUIT........IF I DON'T KILL ONE SATURDAY ALL MY STUFF WILL BE IN MY FRONT YARD WITH A SIGN....."FREE TO A GOOD HOME"!!!!!!!

Save your equipment and some travelling cash and come on up the second second Saturday of April 2019 and I'll take you out to my honey hole opening day 2019 and you can shoot yourself a Montana Merriam, I promise I won't even pick on you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,very much.... :lol:
E72

Post by E72 »

Had a great year. Some of the best gobbling days in Ohio I've witnessed in a long time. Weather cooperated for the most part. My son and I took 3 mature OH gobblers and should have had a PA bird if it wasn't for a miscommunication on our part. Was able to get close to a bird on every hunt , fun hunts with my son and a good friend.....no complaints from me .
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Grumpy wrote: May 17th, 2018, 12:08 pm
CamoMan4025 wrote: May 16th, 2018, 5:03 pm I QUIT........IF I DON'T KILL ONE SATURDAY ALL MY STUFF WILL BE IN MY FRONT YARD WITH A SIGN....."FREE TO A GOOD HOME"!!!!!!!

Save your equipment and some travelling cash and come on up the second second Saturday of April 2019 and I'll take you out to my honey hole opening day 2019 and you can shoot yourself a Montana Merriam, I promise I won't even pick on you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,very much.... :lol:
I MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE YOU UP ON THAT :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

CamoMan4025 wrote: May 17th, 2018, 1:04 pm
Grumpy wrote: May 17th, 2018, 12:08 pm

I MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE YOU UP ON THAT :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

It would be my pleasure to set you up on one here, hell I'll even buy you a great steak and shrimp dinner down the road at the best steak house in northern Montana
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Banner season.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”