Fall Bird !

Everything pertaining to hunting fall turkeys. From calls to Turkey dogs.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Fall Bird !

Post by timbrhuntr »

Not seeing too many birds taken this fall so figured I would post mine. Went to my buddies place in Michigan to hit the end of the bow deer season. Never even saw a deer but was seeing birds all the time. While sneaking in for an afternoos sit I saw a group of toms on the edge of a field. I was able to sneak to about 100 yards and duck into some bushes. I watched them mill around and decided to move back a bit and make a couple yelps. To my suprise one of the birds yelped back. I crawled back to the field edge and made a few more yelps. Through the binos I could see there were 2 nice toms and 4 older jakes. They were now slowly walking in my direction. At about 30 yards they started to get wary and when one of the big toms lifted his head up I settled the pin on his neck and shot . At the shot he flapped his wings and all 6 took off over a small hump in the field. I was sure I made a good hit but decided to wait. I then saw 4 birds slowly walking off and could see one bird going in and out of strut. I stood up and could see the one tom strutting and pecking at something. I knew then his bud was down. I had to shoo him off to get to the downed tom. Made a good shot and he barely went 30 yards.

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Fall Bird !

Post by guesswho »

Nice, congrats.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Congrats on a dandy tom :thumbup: :thumbup:
Wonder what county you were in , as I wasn't aware of any county in the southern 1/2 f MI that wasn't over populated with deer :shock: :o :banghead:

I ain't gonna say what # my MI bud is up to with DNR permission because of "suspected CWD", but it's definitely in double digits with his bow and gun open's the 15th!! :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Good shooting man
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Very nice!

Been a few years since I’ve shot a fall turkey with a bow

It’s cool but I would rather use a shotgun
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

soiltester wrote: November 12th, 2019, 12:24 pm Congrats on a dandy tom :thumbup: :thumbup:
Wonder what county you were in , as I wasn't aware of any county in the southern 1/2 f MI that wasn't over populated with deer :shock: :o :banghead:

I ain't gonna say what # my MI bud is up to with DNR permission because of "suspected CWD", but it's definitely in double digits with his bow and gun open's the 15th!! :thumbup:
Last year I shot a dandy buck there but for some reason there wasn't much daytime movement this year. Could be from the jerk next door who was riding his atv around the property line and decided to shoot what appeared to be most of his firearms everyday lol
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

That's a good looking bird. Congrats!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Nice stinkin’ shot. Congrats on the nice fall gobbler, Timber!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Congratulations on a nice fall bird.
Mike
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

I went fall turkey hunting for the first time this year. 1st day had a very large group of longbeards at 20 yds. 11 total. I lowered my gun and watched them walk away. Decided fall hunting wasn't for me and never went back.
El Sicario
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

appalachianassassin wrote: February 12th, 2020, 12:31 pm I went fall turkey hunting for the first time this year. 1st day had a very large group of longbeards at 20 yds. 11 total. I lowered my gun and watched them walk away. Decided fall hunting wasn't for me and never went back.
Not really sure what the point was of your post. I went turkey hunting once in the spring and had 5 longbeards at 20 yards . I shot one because I was turkey hunting ! :lol: :banghead: :dontknow:
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

timbrhuntr wrote: February 12th, 2020, 10:17 pm
appalachianassassin wrote: February 12th, 2020, 12:31 pm I went fall turkey hunting for the first time this year. 1st day had a very large group of longbeards at 20 yds. 11 total. I lowered my gun and watched them walk away. Decided fall hunting wasn't for me and never went back.
Not really sure what the point was of your post. I went turkey hunting once in the spring and had 5 longbeards at 20 yards . I shot one because I was turkey hunting ! :lol: :banghead: :dontknow:
just sharing my fall turkey hunting experience. Same as you.
El Sicario

Return to “Fall Turkey Hunting & Turkey Dogs”