Where's My Video Camera!!!!

Everything pertaining to hunting fall turkeys. From calls to Turkey dogs.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Where's My Video Camera!!!!

Post by HunterGKS »

Monday, 10/23/17, at about 11:00 A.M., I was sitting on the porch of The Roost. Ron had his Grandson’s football game to attend; Al & Ken were out scouting. I saw something run out of the woods to my right & saw that it was a flock of turkeys. I was going to try to call them in for a possible shot & yelped a few times getting a response from a gobbler. They turned & gave me a profile showing me that they were actually domesticated birds. I swapped my 11-87 for my camera. I poured the calls to them & they came in along the edge of the woods on the west side of The Roost. There was 1 gobbler, 4 jakes, & 1 hen. 2 of the jakes could have passed for wld birds.

When they were out of sight, I moved from the porch to the NE corner of the cabin. I continued to yelp & they moved out of the woods & up onto the area behind the rock wall. I had gone back to the porch & walked to the edge & was about 8 yards from them. Even with all my calling, the gobble had not gobbler any more after his 1st response.

They moved back the way they had come rounding the corner of the woods when I started talking to them.

ME: You sure are a dumb XXXX bunch of turkey.
GOBBLER: GOBBLE!!!!

ME: OK, so gobble again.

ME (thinking to myself): You have GOT to be freaking kidding me. Where’s my video camera when I need it. Nobody will believe this.

ME: Gobble, gobble, gobble.

ME: Gobble, gobble, gobble.

ME: Gobblegobblegobblegobblegobble.
GOBBLER & 4 jakes: GOBBLE!!!!

They finally fed out of sight down towards the end of the field. When Al & Ken got back, I told them about it & asked Ken if he wanted to see how close we could get to them as they were down on the far end of the field. We walked down & got within about 12 yards of them & I decided to try it again.
ME: Gobble.

So I DO have a witness. We tried to get closer but they took off running.

A couple of the last pics show the gobblers bird, nice, & him in a gobble as well as a couple of the birds stretching.

This ranks right up there with 1of the funniest things I have had happen while on a hunting trip.

Later that afternoon, I was able to take a wild bird in the corn field that had been chopped Sunday.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Where's My Video Camera!!!!

Post by howl »

Does shooting a tamie count on your limit? Not mine!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

howl wrote: October 27th, 2017, 5:06 pm Does shooting a tamie count on your limit? Not mine!

There were 4 of us in camp at that time & I told Ron I could have filled all 4 tags with 1 shot & had a spare bird. I gotta say that the temptation was great but it just didn't seem like the right thing to do or very sporting. If'n they had been in the woods & I had called them in, welllllllllllllllllll. LOL
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

gblrsrst

Post by gblrsrst »

I warned the Owners of theses birds that they better Control Them as they had Came close to becoming Targets! :violent1:
Gretchen was a Great Dog! Jinger Lou is Becoming one!
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Ouch .. knew/know the biologist with MI DNR and there were some Eastern tame turkeys released by some locals in our western county area, when I lived there.
He was more than concerned of the inner breading(which happened) of the tame and wild turkeys that the DNR released and re-introduced to areas of the county,
His thoughts were the tame turkey diseases would wipe the whole flock of wild ones out and pushed turkey permitted hunters to go to that area.

Well, it never happened and the turkeys multiplied :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Fall Turkey Hunting & Turkey Dogs”