Day 3 of the 2021 Ohio Deer Season – 12/01

Everything pertaining to deer.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 3 of the 2021 Ohio Deer Season – 12/01

Post by HunterGKS »

It was cloudy, breezy, & 30 with a heavy frost at 07:05 when I was ready to go. The Heater Buddy
wasn’t as much help in the blind as Mon. & Tues. The ride back to the blind was really chilling.

I had barely got situated when a doe followed by a small buck came past from the east at 07:08.
I could have shot either but, again, passed. At 07:22, a red appeared but didn’t stay around too
long.

At 07:25, 3 does trailed by a decent 8 point came in from the east to the far end of the woods
where they were joined by another doe & funky rack. Funky would have been a decent 8 point
if the other side wasn’t messed up. At 07:35, the does & 8 point headed back east while funky
moved to the strip of beans & started feeding. At 07:40, as if by magic, a big 7 point appeared
to my right in the corner of the woods. He also fed on the beans. Funky moved towards the 7
& I thought a confrontation was coming but they both just fed. At 07:42, the sun came up as a
red ball & funky finally went into the woods. At 08:02, the 7 slow walked past me at 20 yards,
I passed, heading east. I hope I don’t regret passing up these shots to day but I’m holding out
for Big Boy. If not him, by Sat. or Sun., then any buck will do.

The wind had steadily been increasing &, at 09:30, I wasn’t sure how much longer I could stand
the cold. It was miserable. I pulled my face mask & toboggan down completely over my face &
had to lift them every time wanted to check for deer.

The wind continued to strengthen & some branches started to pop & I headed in at 10:45, cloudy,
windy, & 36. I have a 15 mile drive home & even with the heater blasting full bore, my hands &
face were still cold when I got home. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice but Fri. looks like 30s & rain.
Time will tell what I do.

Before anyone gives me a hard time about going in early today, let me explain my philosophy. If
there is an activity that I enjoy & is fun becomes, due to circumstances, un-enjoyable & un-fun, I
don’t perform that activity. Sitting in the woods in 30 degree temperatures with a strong wind
causing a wind chill in the mid-20s, is not enjoyable or fun for me, so I don’t do it.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 3 of the 2021 Ohio Deer Season – 12/01

Post by guesswho »

I’m with you Jorge. I’d rather sit in a cozy house and talk about hunting in those conditions than actually doing it. Good luck!
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

guesswho wrote: December 1st, 2021, 4:12 pm I’m with you Jorge. I’d rather sit in a cozy house and talk about hunting in those conditions than actually doing it. Good luck!
Thx Ronnie. If it wasn't for the wind, I'd have stayed out. All the activity happened in the 1st hour. the next 3 hrs, nada.
George

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I'm in the same boat, George. That's why I quit deer hunting up here. I hunted far northern Wisconsin. Generally colder than I cared to hunt in. When I was young, it didn't matter. The older I got, it got to be where the juice wasn't worth the squeeze...
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Hognutz wrote: December 1st, 2021, 4:52 pm I'm in the same boat, George. That's why I quit deer hunting up here. I hunted far northern Wisconsin. Generally colder than I cared to hunt in. When I was young, it didn't matter. The older I got, it got to be where the juice wasn't worth the squeeze...
Cold does seem to get into the bones faster & stay longer. Glad to hear that there are others who feel as I do. Thx.
George

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

That's why I always went with farmers and buddies in MI, in their insulated, windowed, and heated blinds and drank beer and watched!! :shock:
They always had a funnel and hose hooked up inside for a drain, that headed down and under the ground for drainage, either on ground or elevated blinds :thumbup:
Heck, I could drink cause' I wasn't hunting :LMAO:

You ought to really reconsider evening hunts and quit at a certain time ;)

Nights generally are better :reindeer:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Deer Hunting”