Slug input

Everything pertaining to deer.
Jbird22

Slug input

Post by Jbird22 »

So I'm very new to slug guns but didn't take long to find out a Savage 220 was a good gun to go with. As for slugs, seems like the Rem Accutip is a popular choice but I haven't found any online. I did find some Rem Expander and Fed Trophy Copper so got a few boxes of those ordered. The Win Partition Gold also looks interesting but didn't notice them til a day or so after ordering the others. Anyone have any experience with the slugs I've mentioned or have a different flavor you'd recommend? Any tips appreciated!
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
Gmed

Re: Slug input

Post by Gmed »

Stick with a 3” shell in whatever load you try. I shot the Hornady SST 3” shells and while they grouped pretty well, the 3” Accutip put them to shame in my gun (one hole at 50 yds). I think the 3” Accutip is what Savage recommends as well. Try Natchez Shooters Supply. They usually carry a good supply. In addition, the Expander you mentioned that uses the Barnes bullets (once loaded by Federal) was touted to shoot well, but I got a good supply of the Accutips and didn’t see the need to try them. My money would be on the Accutips when you get some....
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I would look for the Remington 3” accutip and look everyday and buy them. I killed a buck at 190 yards heart shot. Last buck I killed with the savage 220 before rifles became legal here in Indiana. Most accurate shell I shot with the Federal Barnes expanders a close second. I could shoot 250 yards easily
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
turkyjoe

Post by turkyjoe »

This is what I use tarhunt 365 gr in my 20 ga rifled barrel m2 benelli
Attachments
scrifle_2019_box.jpg
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

Is 3" a must or would 2-3/4" suffice?
turkyjoe

Post by turkyjoe »

I use 2 3/4 call him he will tell you what's best in you're gun he makes slug guns and savage 220 is one of them 570 784 6368
turkyjoe

Post by turkyjoe »

I sight in my gun with lightfield hundred 20 ga 2 3/4 285 gr shell and my tarhunt shell are right on .
turkyjoe

Post by turkyjoe »

Sorry lightfield hybred shells
Gmed

Post by Gmed »

I read several articles on the 3” vs the 2 3/4” Accutips and all said the 3” would consistently out shoot the 2 3/4”. May not be true in every gun, but the 3” sure shoot well in my gun. I believe the accuracy difference was accounted to the “jump” before the bullet from the shorter shell could engage the rifling in the barrel?????
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Jason, I'm partial to Brenneke slugs, 2 3/4", or 3". Call me old school, but I have never seen any other slug outshoot em.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Jbird22 wrote: September 5th, 2020, 9:20 am Is 3" a must or would 2-3/4" suffice?
3” I found to be more accurate from 150-200 yards vs the 2-3/4”
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

Excellent information guys! Much appreciated!
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Several years ago. I set up several 220 slug guns and sighted them in with a number of different loads. Interestingly, although the majority of the guns shot the 3" Barnes loads best, any time I had a shotgun which didn't pattern to expectations, I would evaluate the gun w/ 2 3/4" shells, and just like you might experience w/ a rifle, some of the 220's shot better w/ 2 3/4" shells vs 3' shells. A number of the shells which I evaluated are no longer available, and there is a greater selection available today, but the fps between some of the current 2 3/4" vs 3" offerings is minimal and if you don't get the desired results w/ 3" loads, evaluate some of the current 2 3/4" loads. Although there are definite similarities within every model of slug gun and the loads which they prefer, every slug gun, even the same model, is different much like rifles.

Return to “Deer Hunting”