Elk Outfitter

Everything pertaining to deer.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Elk Outfitter

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Well I went to the Sportsman's Show in Harrisburg, PA last Tuesday and me and my buddy (yea I only have 1) booked an outfitter to hunt elk in western Montana. It's a 5 day hunt the middle of November 2020. I'm stoked, first time hunting out west and experiencing the altitude change. I only have like 30 lbs to lose between now and then!

https://www.westslopehunts.com/
"God, Guts & High Explosives"

Re: Elk Outfitter

Post by 935 »

Wonderful! You live in the mountains of Virginia so it wont be quite as hard on you. I learned real quick that my flatland legs and flatland lungs were not ready for prime time the first time I attempted to chase turkeys in the NC mountains.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Awesome happy for you. Have you considered the training mask
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: February 14th, 2020, 2:19 pm Awesome happy for you. Have you considered the training mask
Funny you mention it Tom. Yes, I have one. Right now it's only on 3,000 ft. It sucks.....well more like I'm sucking wind. I get funny looks at the gym with it on!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Kid from a neighboring town we were same age got along, see him at parties. Started it. They started out in a small facility and blew up. Forget which one but he drives a lambo or Ferrari
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Oh nice, we'll see how much it works.
Fullfan

Post by Fullfan »

What did he rip ya? Been hunting Idaho and Colorado since 1983. Always have done the DIY thing. We drive from western PA and take everything w us. Some of us spend 1 week and some spend the entire season. Most years it is about 900.00 per guy plus tags. Always a great time, some years we tag out and some years we get skunked. I encourage everyone that wants to go, do not pay a guide it is more rewarding going on your own. Lots of national Forrest to camp in and tromp around on also...
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I completely understand that a DIY hunt is much cheaper and maybe even more rewarding. I don't have the time or resources to venture out across the country and jump into something or somewhere that I am totally unfamiliar with. Kudos to you guys/gals that do. It would cost quite a bit of money just to buy the equipment needed.

So going with a guide service is the most practical way for me and my buddy. This outfitter was actually very reasonable and we feel comfortable with him. This is a bucket list thing for me.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Good luck on yer' fitness training !!! :thumbup:

I'm glad I never had the bug to hunt those critters and will stick to waterfowl & turkeys .. a lot easier to tote !! ;)
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

soiltester wrote: February 15th, 2020, 7:50 am Good luck on yer' fitness training !!! :thumbup:

I'm glad I never had the bug to hunt those critters and will stick to waterfowl & turkeys .. a lot easier to tote !! ;)
No doubt on the "easier to tote"! That's where the outfitter will come it, but we will all pitch in if we get one. I'm just looking forward to the adventure. Seeing the wonderful land, animals and all different aspects of God's creation. My buddy will be 70 when we go and we have become best friends, so hopefully make some good memories too. Killing an elk would just be a bonus and icing on the cake.

Thanks a lot for the supportive words!

Kevin
Fullfan

Post by Fullfan »

Ten 4 fella, will you be riding horses ? If so do some riding prior to your hunt, 8-10 hours a day in saddle will take a toll on ya. And try and get in shape somewhat, doing a lil of something is better than doing nothing. Chat with your outfitter about the wolves, the tags are cheep and a wolf is a trophy of a lifetime. Take a small camera and take pics of everything. I have been hunting the west for years, and still take pics. Weather will cold make sure you have clothing to stay comfortable. And boot gators help a ton when there is snow.

Not that I can offer anything that you don't all ready know. But if you have questions shoot me a pm. I have hunted the Black tail in Montana 1/2 dozen times.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Yes we will be riding horses. Thanks for the heads up on riding prior to the trip. We are going to get a wolf tag, I think they are like $40. We were going to do a combo elk/deer hunt, but his deer kills over the past several years were not really what my buddy was looking for, plus it saved us like $800-$900. We know since we don't have a deer tag a monster will step out, but that's the chance we have to take.

Thanks for the info, I may PM you!
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

I too have been looking at an elk hunt.

If I may ask, what made you go with this outfitter versus others?
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

We personally spoke to him and his wife in PA. Very personable and seemed like good people. He took the business over from his father. This is not his primary source of income. They are cattle ranchers and do the outfitting because they enjoy it. Basically we just had a good feeling from them and it's more of a way of life for them and not just a business to nickel and dime you to death. They have access to a million acres and it's the land he grew up on hunting, so he is very familiar with the land and can make adjustments to each hunter.
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

Thank you
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

CamoMan4025 wrote: February 14th, 2020, 11:03 pm I completely understand that a DIY hunt is much cheaper and maybe even more rewarding. I don't have the time or resources to venture out across the country and jump into something or somewhere that I am totally unfamiliar with. Kudos to you guys/gals that do. It would cost quite a bit of money just to buy the equipment needed.

So going with a guide service is the most practical way for me and my buddy. This outfitter was actually very reasonable and we feel comfortable with him. This is a bucket list thing for me.
For the first time venturing out there to do it I agree. Pay to help with learning curve. Then if this is something you want to try and do every year you’ll know what it’s gonna be like
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Where are you flying into? Where are they based?
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

We will fly into Missoula, MT and their address is Niarada, MT, but we will hunt north of their farm in an area called the Plains. They are bordering Idaho.
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

Camo Man, you are doing the right thing if you just want to check it off your bucket list. I killed an elk in 2018 and a mule deer in 2019 in Colorado with 19 and 21 preference points respectively. Glad I cashed in and got out of the rat race. Getting an elk out by yourself can be impossible, a deer not so much. Outfitters are like a box of chocolates as you never know what you are going to get, they are either great or terrible from my experience.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Gar, that's kinda the way I feel. Cost was also a contributing factor. If I wanted to pay $10,000 - $15,000 I could have booked a hunt in NM with a private landowner tag and have a very good opportunity at a 340+ size elk. I by no means have that kind of money to spend. I researched 38 different outfitters that were in the 3 states we wanted to hunt and that were at the show. Oddly enough, the one we chose was not on my list. We just happened to stop by and hit it off. They have a resident herd of elk and their hunt is not weather driven; therefore we might get lucky. Like I said before, it's about spending time with my buddy, making memories and maybe some new friends in camp while seeing God's awesome creation in the landscape out there!
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Camoman, definitely one of my bucket list hunts, gonna experience it through you at the moment. Been blessed to hunt N.E. Montana a bunch for Whitetails. Your gonna see why its called big sky country. The reason your going is huge in my book, when you get the chance to sit on a canyon top, or maybe an avalanche ravine you will experience something that words or imaginations can't describe. Don't know what elevation your hunting, but ease into it, elevation sickness is absolutely horrifying. Muscle mass= oxygen depletion/respiratory effort. Now the question is "Are you bringing the right caliber" ? :stir: :LMAO:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I'm taking my Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

CamoMan4025 wrote: February 15th, 2020, 9:00 am Yes we will be riding horses. Thanks for the heads up on riding prior to the trip.

I’ll never forget my first horse ride. My Grandpa always told me I was too short. I wouldn’t reach the stirrups. So he put a mark on a vertical post in the barn and every time I visited he would check my height. Finally one summer I hit the mark!
So later that afternoon, Gramps put me up in the saddle and secured my feet in the stirrups. The horse started out at a slow walk. Then picked up the pace to a trot. All is good! He trots for a few minutes and then he goes into a full blown gallop! I hold on for a few seconds although it feels much longer! I fly out of the saddle and my right foot is caught in the stirrup. The horse is bucking and I’m getting beat to death!! Grandpa freaks and runs for help.
Out comes the manager from KMart and he saves me by pulling the plug from the outlet!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Hognutz wrote: February 16th, 2020, 9:02 pm
CamoMan4025 wrote: February 15th, 2020, 9:00 am Yes we will be riding horses. Thanks for the heads up on riding prior to the trip.

I’ll never forget my first horse ride. My Grandpa always told me I was too short. I wouldn’t reach the stirrups. So he put a mark on a vertical post in the barn and every time I visited he would check my height. Finally one summer I hit the mark!
So later that afternoon, Gramps put me up in the saddle and secured my feet in the stirrups. The horse started out at a slow walk. Then picked up the pace to a trot. All is good! He trots for a few minutes and then he goes into a full blown gallop! I hold on for a few seconds although it feels much longer! I fly out of the saddle and my right foot is caught in the stirrup. The horse is bucking and I’m getting beat to death!! Grandpa freaks and runs for help.
Out comes the manager from KMart and he saves me by pulling the plug from the outlet!!
:LMAO: Please don't get him all worked up already, he hasn't even learned to breathe yet !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
birddogdad

Post by birddogdad »

i know there is an outfitter from ID that advertises back east. I got the bug to try an outfitter for Elk last fall in ID. Outfitter had a nice website, friends did research.. thought we would be good. Was the most expensive camping trip i have ever gone on.. told we didn't hunt hard enough which really pissed me off, as i do hunt hard.if you are planning ID elk in areas 16A/17 (selway/bitterroot) pm me before you throw money down! 8 days, zero tracks, horsed us in 8 miles (drop camp). elk in rut, not a sound in any direction. i even spike camped over half of the area in 2 day chunks 10 days in running every bottom and top in between.. 6 hunters, not a track for 3+ miles in any direction. void of any life!

Return to “Deer Hunting”