Breathing with a mouth call

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
Cmonsta

Breathing with a mouth call

Post by Cmonsta »

Good morning,

A few months back I heard the host of a podcast talk about how when he learned to breath while running a mouth call it was a game changer for him. I hadn’t ever thought about it before that, but since I’ve realized I have no idea how to do that haha. Aside from the short bursts I let out to make the call, I find myself holding my breath the whole time and being fairly winded after a series of calls. Not like I just hiked 1000’ elevation of course, but enough that it’s uncomfortable. I was wondering if anyone who is decent at explaining things could help me with “breathing” while calling. Or is there any good videos on the topic that you know of? Or maybe I completely misunderstood the host? Seems so impossible to me currently but I am trying to find every way to improve possible. Thanks a ton in advance!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Breathing with a mouth call

Post by Hoobilly »

I’ve never heard this before

But can you yelp and breath in at the same time?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I'm not sure how I'd push air out using my diaphragm and breathe air in at the same time. I'm either not understanding what you want to do or my lungs work different than some folks.

Maybe some folks will enlighten me but I think most folks putting out regular podcasts are constantly struggling to come up with new "content" and will say or discuss the dumbest **** out there, so you have to weigh that in.
ol bob

Post by ol bob »

I guess when season goes out you have to hunt something to talk about, and about anything will do.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

ol bob wrote: May 24th, 2022, 12:28 pm I guess when season goes out you have to hunt something to talk about, and about anything will do.
That's true.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: May 24th, 2022, 12:02 pm I'm not sure how I'd push air out using my diaphragm and breathe air in at the same time. I'm either not understanding what you want to do or my lungs work different than some folks.

Maybe some folks will enlighten me but I think most folks putting out regular podcasts are constantly struggling to come up with new "content" and will say or discuss the dumbest **** out there, so you have to weigh that in.
I typically blow out to make sound and then breathe in when I am done….but that is just me. It has worked for 35 years, but maybe I have been doing it wrong all along?

I think it is the desire to stay relevant…”they” are ALL doing it now.
How do I stay relevant?
How do I get clicks?
How do I get viewers?

Currently the big names are starting to stir the pot all in the name of having a “conversation”, but it is a way for them to stay relevant. It is kinda sad…
Cmonsta

Post by Cmonsta »

Copy that thank you everyone. Guess it’s good news…I’m not doing that wrong at least haha.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

If you are calling so much that you pass out from a lack of oxygen it’s possible that you are calling too much. Hmmmm, maybe I need a podcast!
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Up next, if your box call ignites from friction.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Turkinator wrote: May 25th, 2022, 7:57 am Up next, if your box call ignites from friction.
Or if your pot call has grooves worn in it.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Cmonsta wrote: May 25th, 2022, 7:48 am Copy that thank you everyone. Guess it’s good news…I’m not doing that wrong at least haha.
I'm definitely not doing everything right with a call. It just has nothing to do with how I'm breathing. :toothy7:

Good luck on improving.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

Up next, if you are not getting 100% of your #9 TSS pellets in a 3" circle at 75 yds
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I think whomever is using the term breath to describe where the sir comes from, comes from deep in your gut.... Some people call it huffing a mouth call.... It's with any call you use moth call,tube call,crowcall, goose call, duck call.... Why some guys pick up a duck call sound like a kazoo, they're blowing into the call instead of bringing it from deep and expelling it into the call.... You blow birthday candles, breathalyzers and balloons

The other thing it could be referring to is a pause for goose calls I call it my check goose, fast loud stuff click cluck (getting a breath) fast stuff with really never a pause in calling....

I dunno never really ran out of air running any type of call... I spent most of my summers til I was 18 pearl diving all over the globe so my lungs are trained....
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

guesswho wrote: May 25th, 2022, 8:29 am
Turkinator wrote: May 25th, 2022, 7:57 am Up next, if your box call ignites from friction.
Or if your pot call has grooves worn in it.
Or if you have yelper mouth

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: May 25th, 2022, 10:23 am I think whomever is using the term breath to describe where the sir comes from, comes from deep in your gut.... Some people call it huffing a mouth call.... It's with any call you use moth call,tube call,crowcall, goose call, duck call.... Why some guys pick up a duck call sound like a kazoo, they're blowing into the call instead of bringing it from deep and expelling it into the call.... You blow birthday candles, breathalyzers and balloons
I bet this is exactly what they were talking about

ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Hoobilly wrote: May 25th, 2022, 10:35 pm
ICDEDTURKES wrote: May 25th, 2022, 10:23 am I think whomever is using the term breath to describe where the sir comes from, comes from deep in your gut.... Some people call it huffing a mouth call.... It's with any call you use moth call,tube call,crowcall, goose call, duck call.... Why some guys pick up a duck call sound like a kazoo, they're blowing into the call instead of bringing it from deep and expelling it into the call.... You blow birthday candles, breathalyzers and balloons
I bet this is exactly what they were talking about
I agree
Mike

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”