Who are some of your favorite custom pot call makers?

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
Roy

Re: Who are some of your favorite custom pot call makers?

Post by Roy »

Pot calls sound the same to me. Do they to you all? Threre are a lot of good ones. But, they sound like the same hen to me.
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

Roy wrote: May 5th, 2021, 6:00 pm Pot calls sound the same to me. Do they to you all? Threre are a lot of good ones. But, they sound like the same hen to me.

Definitely not the same. There is definitely differences from call maker to call maker. And if you want a flock of hens, get you a good pot call and add about 8 different strikers. You will have 8 different hens, and who knows which hen the gobbler will like on any given day.
Meleagris gallopavo

Post by Meleagris gallopavo »

VALongbeard wrote: May 5th, 2021, 6:14 pm
Roy wrote: May 5th, 2021, 6:00 pm Pot calls sound the same to me. Do they to you all? Threre are a lot of good ones. But, they sound like the same hen to me.

Definitely not the same. There is definitely differences from call maker to call maker. And if you want a flock of hens, get you a good pot call and add about 8 different strikers. You will have 8 different hens, and who knows which hen the gobbler will like on any given day.
Yep. I take my pot calls and run different strikers on them before I use them. They sound different to me.
Meleagris gallopavo

VALongbeard wrote: May 5th, 2021, 1:37 pm
Meleagris gallopavo wrote: May 5th, 2021, 11:45 am
VALongbeard wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 1:20 pm Steve Morgenstern is my absolute favorite. Team his pot with a Neal Hermann snakewood striker, and you got a killer combo. I'm sure others are awesome too, but this is my personal favorite combo.
I have both and have done just that.
Just curious, which pot of his are you running with Neal's snakewood striker? I have been using a Teak green slate over slate. Thing is a smoker!
Green slate and what looks to be a Padauk pot. I don't remember the wood he told me used. I purchased it directly from him and not Hooks.
Meleagris gallopavo

VALongbeard wrote: May 5th, 2021, 1:37 pm
Meleagris gallopavo wrote: May 5th, 2021, 11:45 am
VALongbeard wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 1:20 pm Steve Morgenstern is my absolute favorite. Team his pot with a Neal Hermann snakewood striker, and you got a killer combo. I'm sure others are awesome too, but this is my personal favorite combo.
I have both and have done just that.
Just curious, which pot of his are you running with Neal's snakewood striker? I have been using a Teak green slate over slate. Thing is a smoker!
Green slate and what looks to be a Padauk pot. I don't remember the wood he told me used. I purchased it directly from him and not Hooks.
Meleagris gallopavo

VALongbeard. I run a green slate in what looks to be a Padauk pot. I bought it directly from him and can't remember the wood he used.
VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

Gotcha. I have run his teak green slate alot this year. Awesome call! And with Neal's snakewood, gabon ebony, and tulipwood strikers, I have 3 distinct sounds.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

My favorites are Holloran and Blackstone.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

turkeyinstrut wrote: May 6th, 2021, 6:15 pm My favorites are Holloran and Blackstone.
Same here. A Howard Fowler snakewood for the Blackstone green slate, and a Neal Herrman dymondwood on the Halloran crystal mistress
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Turkinator wrote: May 6th, 2021, 6:51 pm
turkeyinstrut wrote: May 6th, 2021, 6:15 pm My favorites are Holloran and Blackstone.
Same here. A Howard Fowler snakewood for the Blackstone green slate, and a Neal Herrman dymondwood on the Halloran crystal mistress
:thumbup:
Meleagris gallopavo

VALongbeard wrote: May 6th, 2021, 2:15 pm Gotcha. I have run his teak green slate alot this year. Awesome call! And with Neal's snakewood, gabon ebony, and tulipwood strikers, I have 3 distinct sounds.
I sent Steve a picture of the pot and he said it was Curupay (also called Patagonion Rosewood). He said he made several pots in late 2019 or early 2020 from that wood. It's kind of neat to have something unique like that.
aristico

Post by aristico »

FLGobstopper wrote: March 17th, 2021, 9:40 pm Supreme Calls by Steve Reeves makes a really fine crystal surface pot. I have one called a Pure Death and the pot is made of corian that will make your ears bleed. It''ll get so loud and high pitched but, it can also play soft and get raspy as well. Another fine call maker is Lonnie Sneed. I have one of his glass pots (Outlaw) and a couple slates (Hot Hen and Raspy Hen or Raspy Boss Hen or something). Enticer has a nice alluminum pot this is pretty darn nice for an inexpensive call.
I will second Steve as long as u dont mind waiting a looooong time for it...

A little FYI he also showed MKW how to turkey hunt ..
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

Gallopavo ,
Matt McClain makes a smooth lil pot call , its smaller than some , shallower than most but runs like a champ . That ol Mailstrower puts alot of quality in anything he builds .
His strikers are always in my vest .
10th Legion legionare !
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Matt makes some fine strikers, may have to grab a pot from him.

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”