advantages of a trumpet

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
firedup

Re: advantages of a trumpet

Post by firedup »

On any given day any call might work. Most of us know that. Trumpets work! Trumpets do seem to carry sound along way off. So do wingbones IMO. I often carry both. I just like using them. Work in the rain. Hangs around my neck real handy like. Alot of benefits. I will never be as good as Prudhomme or some others. But I can talk turkey with them and do kill birds using them. It does take some practice but to me its fun and entertaining. Have fun? Kill turkeys? Thats enuff for me right there! SOLD!!

Alot of good info in above posts. I put trumpets into same catagory as yelpers. Cant beat a good cane yelper! Or a good cane or wood yelper body with a turkey bone mouth piece!
And remember not all trumpets are equal. Just because somebody can drill holes in wood and get some squawking noises doesn't mean they really know how to build one. Just as buying trumpets is gonna be the fad, so has building trumpets.
A good trumpet or yelper should not be hard to play. If yer turning different colors trying to suction enuff you are doing it wrong or need a better trumpet. A good trumpet should be loud or soft and do either WHEN you want it. A good trumpet should have good turkey pitch and tone (yes it takes practice but if it ain't in there...it just ain't). Practice hard and buy wisely.
Hooksnhorns

Post by Hooksnhorns »

Jbird22 wrote: February 16th, 2021, 7:48 pm

Will more people look into trumpets as a result of Dave's latest video? Sure. But, I believe the price tag of a high end trumpet will discourage most from actually buying one. I also believe the majority of folks who buy trumpets will be ready to sell them within a week once they realize they sound NOTHING like Mark Prudhomme. The ones who commit to dedicating the time and effort into learning a trumpet will be few and far between.

I bought my first trumpet about 5-6 years ago and Lord knows I still have a long way to go to become proficient at using
Hooksnhorns

Post by Hooksnhorns »

I agree, brother. Most folks ain’t gonna put in the time to learn the trumpet. Although it’s not nearly as hard as folks try to make it ( me included). Once someone hits it just right, they realize that less is more as far as lip pressure and air draw.

I don’t agree with your last statement tho, you’re plenty proficient with a trumpet.
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

I've never used a trumpet but, have made several wingbones and use them. I've called in several birds with them.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

Hobbes and Davis9 understand that they are different instruments . Trumpets are the hardest to learn to run in my opinion . I am fair on one and kill turkeys with them the last 4 years consistently . 1/2 the slam this year . They carry {sound } as far as any call made . Irving Whitt told me he had a Game Warden come to him at almost a mile listening to him call in the mountains of VA. ( I belive it was )
Yes they can be loud but the real deal is how soft a good caller is on one , they project sound so well most people call to loud with one ( my opinion, and I'm deaf and blow the reeds out a mouth call ) . Could I have killed all the turkeys ive killed with a trumpet with another call, Possibly , but ive had ALOT more pride in doing it with a 410 and a trumpet ! The only call I come close to as much pride in is a tube call . Do I believe they are a fix all , definitely not , So I believe they are another notch in MY evolution , most definitely ! Will I hunt them the rest of my career ? You bet !
Not to mention the friends ive made just because of the fancy darn things !
10th Legion legionare !
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I carry one on every hunt. Like a diaphragm, and the tube call that I’m trying to learn, they are not affected by moisture, which seems to be in abundance every turkey season!
B6AFD8EE-CC2B-41F7-A4D6-27ADF173A63D.jpeg
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Hmmm- this interested me. I bought one last year. Took it with me to KY in April(DBNF). As I reported in another post, spent my first ( rainy and cold ) day checking access points. Did blow on my trumpet about mid afternoon just to see how it sounded “ in the big woods”. I was on my game and to me sounded pretty good. Long story short, decided to go back there next am and barely missed getting a shot at a Longbeard that was roosted and fired up on the ridge I called down the previous pm…. I often wonder if Ol farmer Prospector didn’t unknowingly plant a seed the day before that almost produced me fruit the next am…..all on my new trumpet.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Gobblez

Post by Gobblez »

Hoobilly wrote: February 16th, 2021, 8:49 pm I love trumpets because they produce that clean nasally hen yelp that sounds so realistic at a distance

BINGO!
terry13111

Post by terry13111 »

I’ve done well on some pretty highly pressured turkeys with a trumpet. Whether it’s the actual trumpet or the fact its something different, they work. The learning curve is long, but the reward is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”