advantages of a trumpet

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: advantages of a trumpet

Post by Southern Sportsman »

GLS wrote: February 17th, 2021, 7:57 am I would rather see someone carrying an expensive trumpet around their neck than see a bag full of decoys slung over their shoulder. Gil
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Southern Sportsman wrote: February 17th, 2021, 8:25 am
GLS wrote: February 17th, 2021, 7:57 am I would rather see someone carrying an expensive trumpet around their neck than see a bag full of decoys slung over their shoulder. Gil
Heaven forbid if you had both..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I don't pack either but can't say I really care if someone else does.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Advantage, if you go to McDonalds at lunch time and get a couple burgers and a drink and they’re out of straws, you have one around your neck.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

:lol: :lol:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

:toothy7:
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

It also took me several years to become proficient with a gobble call, but once I did, boy was it worth it.
PALongspur

Post by PALongspur »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: February 17th, 2021, 1:12 am I just watched/listened to Dave's trumpet video. Those two fellas are a cut above what I've heard before especially the guy in the mossy oak. That's some crazy good quiet and mid range stuff. I didn't listen to all of it, but wonder if they can hit higher volume for more open country??

I doubt that I have the patience. I never have followed through with the tube call so don't see me getting there with a trumpet either
One thing you’ll notice with a wingbone or trumpet is they don’t have to be played “loud” for the sound to carry crazy distances. It’s my belief that they carry further than any other call out there, even a well-tuned long box. I’ve had gobblers and hens both respond from some unbelievable distances when I’m running a trumpet at what I would consider “normal” volume.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

PALongspur wrote: February 17th, 2021, 10:47 am
Hobbes_mobile wrote: February 17th, 2021, 1:12 am I just watched/listened to Dave's trumpet video. Those two fellas are a cut above what I've heard before especially the guy in the mossy oak. That's some crazy good quiet and mid range stuff. I didn't listen to all of it, but wonder if they can hit higher volume for more open country??

I doubt that I have the patience. I never have followed through with the tube call so don't see me getting there with a trumpet either
One thing you’ll notice with a wingbone or trumpet is they don’t have to be played “loud” for the sound to carry crazy distances. It’s my belief that they carry further than any other call out there, even a well-tuned long box. I’ve had gobblers and hens both respond from some unbelievable distances when I’m running a trumpet at what I would consider “normal” volume.
Interesting.
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

hoobilly wrote: February 17th, 2021, 7:03 am

I have a couple tubes. Trumpets for me was easier to run
I'm completely opposite. Learning a tube was a walk in the park compared to learning a trumpet.
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
deerhunt1988

Post by deerhunt1988 »

They also seem to resonate differently at a distance, in the woods. Example, they sound a bit different when you are standing next to someone playing one than they sound at 100 yards through the woods. They actually sound better to me in the woods.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

No doubt. :thumbup:
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

deerhunt1988 wrote: February 17th, 2021, 11:23 am

They also seem to resonate differently at a distance, in the woods. Example, they sound a bit different when you are standing next to someone playing one than they sound at 100 yards through the woods. They actually sound better to me in the woods.
They're like long boxes. Got to get them outside and away from your ear to really hear it correctly. Up close its too distorted.

And they do carry a long, long way. You don't need to suck the insides out of a trumpet to get it to carry 1/2 mile or more. Think of a gobbler on the roost. Him gobbling in your direction is much louder than when he turns around and gobbles the other way. Same with a trumpet, which means call soft, and pointing it down or to the side when he's coming in. Easy to call too loud with a trumpet.

Mark's advise in that video is spot on - learn to call as softly as possible, you can always ramp up if needed, but the soft calling skill is critical if he hangs up at 100 yards.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
Meleagris gallopavo

Post by Meleagris gallopavo »

Thanks folks. I was just wondering. I have enough pots, strikers and diaphragm calls to make different turkey call sounds. It's just that I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of interest in trumpets lately. I'll stick with my pots and mouth calls.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

One of the best features of a river cane yelper and, even to a limited ability, on a wing bone caller is the ability to take files/wood rasps/or a Dremel tool to the interior of the barrel to modify/tune the call which is something which I would never attempt on a high dollar trumpet. I use a tube goose call which I got from Harold Knight at his barber shop in about 1979, and I believe that it works so well on geese because, like a tube turkey call or suction turkey call, the sound "floats" and birds cannot pinpoint the sounds source. In my experience, birds responding to both a tube call and suction call, both gobblers and hens, will come in looking and, in many cases, are extremely vocal since they are seeking the source of the calling which is more indefinite than other types of turkey calls.
Tom Threetoes

Post by Tom Threetoes »

I watched the Pinhoti video and Mr. Prudhomme Is the first guy I've heard using a trumpet that I couldn't instantly recognize the sound as a trumpet.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I no longer live in river cane country. My brother and father are still there so I'd likely have no problem getting my hands on some. Maybe I'll give that a run sometime. I can't see me shelling out for a tube, but you never know.
savduck

Post by savduck »

Ive been running a trumpet since 2011. All I use anymore is a trumpet and mouth call. They work for me. Have called in a boat load of turkeys this past decade. Some have tripped over themselves to come in.

Its an acoustical thing to me. I think they throw the sound further.

Mark is unreal on a trumpet. That video doesnt do it justice. To much echo. There are clips out there of him outside. Even better. Guys are starting to get better and better now because of how easy it is with social media to hear clips of how good a trumpet can sound.

And remember not all trumpets are equal. Just because somebody can drill holes in wood and get some squawking noises doesnt mean they really know how to build one. Just as buying trumpets is gonna be the fad, so has building trumpets.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

The current popularity of trumpets on social media might indeed be something of a fad, but I think there will be some folks using them as long as turkeys are hunted. The wingbone was in use by the Creeks centuries ago, and probably other tribes too, though I have only read about the Creeks in the old books. I have never read of them using cane calls, but I would bet that they did, as they knew how to use most everything around them.

My first trumpet was one of the Penn Woods mass produced calls that I think I bought in the late 70s. I used it several years and the mouthpiece broke. I remember that I paid $8 for the replacement in a little neighborhood store, and I still have it.

I got Alan Sentell to make me a really good one about 10 years ago, and used it until Gil gave me the cane calls. I carried them both for a while, but it looks like I have retired the trumpets in favor of the cane calls.

I will use a cane for as long as I am able to hunt, and others will too, simply because they work. I don't do anything with them that would win any contests; just soft yelps and clucks. That is what usually works best where I hunt. It takes a lot of practice to make a consistently good yelp, but it's pretty easy to make a click with one. I rarely did anything with the Penn Woods call except a cluck. It makes a really good cluck that I can't reproduce with any other type of call, and I killed several paranoid gobblers with nothing but a cluck from the cheap call.

It isn't by any means the only call I use, but I think it's definitely worth learning to use. And it's a lot of fun to learn a new type of call.
poorcountrypreacher

poorcountrypreacher wrote: February 18th, 2021, 10:43 am The current popularity of trumpets on social media might indeed be something of a fad, but I think there will be some folks using them as long as turkeys are hunted. The wingbone was in use by the Creeks centuries ago, and probably other tribes too, though I have only read about the Creeks in the old books. I have never read of them using cane calls, but I would bet that they did, as they knew how to use most everything around them.

My first trumpet was one of the Penn Woods mass produced calls that I think I bought in the late 70s. I used it several years and the mouthpiece broke. I remember that I paid $8 for the replacement in a little neighborhood store, and I still have it.

I got Alan Sentell to make me a really good one about 10 years ago, and used it until Gil gave me the cane calls. I carried them both for a while, but it looks like I have retired the trumpets in favor of the cane calls.

I will use a cane for as long as I am able to hunt, and others will too, simply because they work. I don't do anything with them that would win any contests; just soft yelps and clucks. That is what usually works best where I hunt. It takes a lot of practice to make a consistently good yelp, but it's pretty easy to make a cluck with one. I rarely did anything with the Penn Woods call except a cluck. It makes a really good cluck that I can't reproduce with any other type of call, and I killed several paranoid gobblers with nothing but a cluck from the cheap call.

It isn't by any means the only call I use, but I think it's definitely worth learning to use. And it's a lot of fun to learn a new type of call.
poorcountrypreacher

Sorry, but the spell check hates the word "cluck" and wants to change it to click. I tried to correct it and instead duplicated the post, and I can't seem to delete it. Sorry for cluttering the thread.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

savduck wrote: February 17th, 2021, 11:00 pm Ive been running a trumpet since 2011. All I use anymore is a trumpet and mouth call. They work for me. Have called in a boat load of turkeys this past decade. Some have tripped over themselves to come in.

Its an acoustical thing to me. I think they throw the sound further.

Mark is unreal on a trumpet. That video doesnt do it justice. To much echo. There are clips out there of him outside. Even better. Guys are starting to get better and better now because of how easy it is with social media to hear clips of how good a trumpet can sound.

And remember not all trumpets are equal. Just because somebody can drill holes in wood and get some squawking noises doesnt mean they really know how to build one. Just as buying trumpets is gonna be the fad, so has building trumpets.
TRUTH HERE!
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Overall yes, but some guys make them sound like a turkey 10 ft away
crow

Post by crow »

davisd9 wrote: February 18th, 2021, 11:39 am

Overall yes, but some guys make them sound like a turkey 10 ft away

Why do bagpipe players walk around while they're playing?

They're trying to get away from the noise.

I've sat at campsites near guys playing 10' away, and their quiet calling on a yelper is real turkey
Strutbuster935

Post by Strutbuster935 »

Honestly i got a trumpet 8 yrs ago and ended up selling it shortly after once i realized the learning curve required. But since then, multiple times a year i hear hens that sound just like a suction call. I got another trumpet last winter and practiced, practiced, and practiced some more. Used it with some success last spring, but it wasnt til this past fall season that i got 100% confidence in my calling. Ive got a long ways to go but as with any call you can practice a ton but confidence comes after using it on the real thing. It may be a fad to some but im using it because it'll help me kill more turkeys.
Last edited by Strutbuster935 on February 19th, 2021, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”