new go to diaphragm call post

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
Tidewater Tom

new go to diaphragm call post

Post by Tidewater Tom »

I see the go to diaphragm call post hasn't been commented on in over a year so I wanted to resurrect the topic. Which diaphragm calls works best for you?
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: new go to diaphragm call post

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

The “Hot Mess” from DC custom calls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

WV Ridge Reaper wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 9:30 pm The “Hot Mess” from DC custom calls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that prototype Del sent me is my best running mouth call I have right now. He's gonna make me more to practice with and hunt this fall and next spring.

i also like the Tom Teasers butt nekked hen and Warbird boneyard ridge.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I used DC calls for the first time this year. He sent me an assortment of 5 calls. They all ran well, but I don't have their names down. I liked some better than others. I will buy them again.

I usually have a few production calls around also because I pick them up occasionally and try a few out. This year I had a couple HS calls, but ran their ghost cut quite a bit.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I decided to look at the names of the DC calls that I used.

DC calls
BVT -combo - black tape/blue reed
Law Dog - combo - grey tape/blue reed
Junkyard Dog - combo - grey tape/red reed
Hot Mess - batwing - black tape /green reed
Both hognose calls (2 and 3 reed)

I think I ran them all except the orange taped hognose. I must have lost it right off. I finished off the season with the Hot Mess and I think I decided that I liked it best. I ran one of the blue reeds the most earlier in the season. I normally prefer a combo cut. I'll likely try them all at some point. I definitely want the ghost cut.

Post by 935 »

I like a Primos Piggy Back.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
LAturkey

Post by LAturkey »

I use DC as well. Don’t remember the name but it’s a bat wing with black tape
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

I also use the ghost cut, that's my go to now
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

Is there a website for their stuff?

2gbl
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I contacted him on here (savduck) but you can find him on Facebook: DC Custom Calls or look for him on YouTube under Del Crow turkey calls. He put out a short video in January that covered each call. He makes a limited amount of calls.

Here is the thread from January:
https://www.gobblernation.com/phpBB3/vi ... 16#p199716
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Promos Hacked Off Buzz Cut
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
DD

Post by DD »

M.A.D. Venom, bought 10 on close out a few years ago. Don’t think they are made any more.
Cheaply made and don’t last long, but great sound and easy to run.
Attachments
65A13942-0D61-422F-B147-B5738B016AF6.jpeg
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I used to run a couple different MAD calls that I really liked a long time ago back when it was still owned by Drury, but seems like they changed them up at some point and I quit using them.
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

Seriously mouth calls are like "a box of chocolates" you never know what you're gonna get.
What might sound like pure turkey to one guy wont for the next.
DC Customs makes a good call. Used them this year. More small name companies selling custom calls on Facebook now.
American Strutter makes a good call so does Dead End. Hendeshot makes a good call too.
I like a 2 reed batwing.

Speaking of DC Customs, Del posted a video of how to treat your mouth calls to protect them and keep germs away.
First times in years I didn't get a sore throat during turkey season. I think separating the reeds with a toothpick is key and using peroxide with mouthwash. I now keep toothpicks between reeds even when they're in a pouch during season.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I switch back and forth between a Gooserbat double bit, and a Hooks executioner
Tidewater Tom

Post by Tidewater Tom »

Turkinator wrote: June 7th, 2020, 3:31 pm I switch back and forth between a Gooserbat double bit, and a Hooks executioner
Really? They are very different in size. Do you cut the Gooserbat? I can run the Gooserbat calls but the Hooks calls are so small I can't seem to keep them in place in my pallet.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Tidewater Tom wrote: June 8th, 2020, 7:09 am
Turkinator wrote: June 7th, 2020, 3:31 pm I switch back and forth between a Gooserbat double bit, and a Hooks executioner
Really? They are very different in size. Do you cut the Gooserbat? I can run the Gooserbat calls but the Hooks calls are so small I can't seem to keep them in place in my pallet.
Its been a few years, but it seems like they cut the tape smaller than most. I've called and asked for larger tape, so they sent me some full size sheets with calls and I retaped and cut to the size that I preferred.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Tidewater Tom wrote: June 8th, 2020, 7:09 am
I don’t have any problem switching back and forth. The size of the tape makes no difference if it seals to the roof of your mouth. I even ran a woodhaven ninja a couple of days this season. No problem. I remember years ago watching Jim Pollard running a mouth call when he was at Gellco in ft smith ar. He didn’t have any tape on it at all!
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Gooserbat the past couple years, like the ICE. Easy to run.

About ten years ago was off first week of our season. Came home four days early from that trip with a terrific sore throat. Had been using a mouth call from the previous week during an out of state hunt. I am 100% certain that was the cause.

After that, I always separate the reeds at the end of the day, soak the call in Listerine for a couple minutes reeds separate, rinse with tap water and air dry. Ready to go in the morning and I have never gotten another sore throat. And I will toss the call I'm using in the trash after a few days because that Listerine can't always get into the frame of the call where the reeds come together.

Rather shell out $7 bucks for a fresh mouth call and avoid cutting another trip short / being sick for a week. A new mouth call is one of the cheapest costs of a turkey hunt considering everything else like gas, accommodations, food, camo, gun, TSS, etc.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Hook's Heartthrob for me,if ya need full size tape call Scott and tell him!!!
He will do it for ya!
Roy

Post by Roy »

I think all diaphragm calls sound the same. Most if not all are stretched on a press, same latex, etc.. My opinion
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
Jbarrick7

Post by Jbarrick7 »

Timber echo game calls for me. Combo cut or batwing. Ive used many different brands and had some that i thought were good sounding for my low ability level. The timber echo calls were always the best sounding calls ive used, even right out of the package. Great dudes too…
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

I lost my Hooks Executioner II already and my Scott Ellis call is great. I bought some from Sadler McGraw this spring and like all of em. The Judge and Jury ghost cut does the soft stuff well and yelps real good too.
I love the sound of a Woodhaven Red Wasp but they are hard to run soft or quiet. They sure sound realistic, but loud.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”