Hunting with a trumpet

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Hunting with a trumpet

Post by davisd9 »

Been hunting with a trumpet for a few years now, 6 I think. When I practice at home in the evenings I never wear gloves to use them. Well when I hunt I would use gloves and it never felt right and I felt the sound was muffled so when hunting with a trumpet I took them off. Well over time I use the trumpet more than anything and this year pretty much quit with the gloves. Using a trumpet you move your hands a lot and I was concerned whether not having the gloves on would hurt me when a bird is coming in. I really did not want to use the paint, but did I need to break up my hands? I posted the question about hunting with a trumpet with gloves vs no gloves and got a variety of answers as expected. Well I had some tight fitting gloves that I cut the fingers out of and played a trumpet with them on. I felt it was overall very good sound, but still felt like I could hear a difference. I sent the sound file with the gloves on to Rapscallion Vermilion to get his opinion and he said it sounded good but also thought he noticed something lacking a bit. He suggested to make a sound file back to back with gloves and without and he would make a spectogram of them to compare the sound. Sent the files, trying to make them as similar as possible, and they showed the difference in calling without gloves vs with gloves. Just thought it was interesting and others may find it helpful.

Gloves used:

Spectograms:

howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hunting with a trumpet

Post by howl »

Short range trumpeting I do with one hand. You'd only have to cut two fingers of one glove for that.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

They look fairly similar. I'm not familiar with how to read a spectogram. Is the green a hair more intense in the second (no glove) spectrogram? I could definitely imagine the gloves, any pair of gloves, changing the sound to some degree. I typically have to remove my gloves for owl hooting with a call.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I decided years ago to use burnt cork on the back of my hands. I don't think any camo is necessarily needed on my hands, but it makes me feel better. A lighter and a wine cork is easy to slip into a pocket.
Ultimate Predator
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Hunting with a trumpet

Post by davisd9 »

Rapscallion Vermilion explains it way better than I could try and explain it.
Rapscallion Vermilion wrote: Lovett Williams has pages and pages of these for different turkey sounds he recorded for his book Voice and Vocabulary of the Wild Turkey. Horizontal axis is time in seconds, so the entire window left to right is about 1.7 seconds. Vertical axis is frequency in kilohertz. You can see the dominant note of davisd9's trumpet is around 1 kilohertz, which is right in line with what Lovett Williams says is the median pitch for the plain yelps he has recorded. Color brightness towards green to yellow is louder, black is no sound at that time and frequency. The Gloves spectrogram has weaker peaks by about 2 to 3 decibels and the peaks are a little less defined. You can see that the Gloves example has more low level hash or noise in the background at mid to lower frequencies. That's only there when he's playing, so it is sound coming out of the trumpet, but is being taken out of the main notes and thrown into this background. In the No Gloves example, you can more clearly see the higher frequency leading edge to each yelp around 1.6 kilohertz (a kee note), followed by the dominant note with some rollover. That leading edge is a bit harder to see in the Gloves example. If you were to make an analogy with a photograph, you would say the No Gloves one was a sharper image with more contrast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by davisd9 on April 3rd, 2019, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

MKW wrote:I decided years ago to use burnt cork on the back of my hands. I don't think any camo is necessarily needed on my hands, but it makes me feel better. A lighter and a wine cork is easy to slip into a pocket.
I also think the breaking up of hands is mental, but since I put this much effort into it I need to do something to take it out. Bought some carbomask for my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dirtnap

Post by dirtnap »

I haven't worn gloves in at least 10 years. In my opinion, they are not necessary.
Shellwaster

Post by Shellwaster »

I too have noticed that with gloves, my trumpet sounds muffled. Now thus just confirms it scientifically.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Same goes with goose or duck, I refuse gloves in below zero temps. It's different sounding
Longspurs

Post by Longspurs »

I don’t like gloves when using a trumpet. I’ve never used the carbo mask but the military paint sticks, and I mean the metal tubes not the aftermarket junk, works well it’s like hard clay in the tube but when you rub it on it’s on for awhile sweat and even rain won’t wash it off. It comes off no problem with soap and water. I prefer it because it stays were you put it if you don’t get it on your finger tips it won’t get smeared all over your gun and trumpet it stays on the back of your hands.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I cut a thumb hole in the zip up leafy suite so half my hand is covered. Forgot gloves one morning and had to improvise.

So when I use a trumpet that’s what I use and no need to do anything else to cover up my hand
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I stopped wearing gloves a few years ago when I started relying on my rivercane yelpers. My ghillie top has slits at sleeves's ends for my thumbs which puts the sleeves half over my hands, but I rarely use that feature as I want my hands uncovered for the yelper. If the bird is nearby, I don't use the call. That's when my diaphragm takes over.
'
Roy

Post by Roy »

Very educational thread for me
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
Trash2

Post by Trash2 »

Never worn them or camo gun. Dont think I've ever missed an opportunity bc of it

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”