Good Morning Scouting

davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Good Morning Scouting

Post by davisd9 »

Went to my lease about 40 miles from my house. Got there at around 6:45. Sat in car until around 7:00 and started walking down a logging road to one of our deer food plots. Had to turn around and get something. Did not want to go all the way to the plot cause I was thinking the roosted down between it and a creek bottom. Got about 80 yards down the road from the plot and at about 7:15 boom! He was not far, 100 yards right where I thought he would be. After that I heard another through the pines but he was a ways off. Heard two others off the property. The one close to me was hot! I know one can never say they will kill a bird but I felt like I would have a very good chance at this one but the way he was going. He hit the ground around 7:40 and would gobble every now and then.

Thought he had eased on so I slipped into the food plot to look for strut marks. I was looking and a woodpecker squawked and boom, scared the fool out of me. I could hear the vibration from the gut. He was right down in the bottom no more than 80 yards off. Think it was two cause there was two gobbles, but he may have double gobbled cause only one bird would gobble after that first time everytime the woodpecker would squawk. Eased out of there. Did not see or hear any others but that is where I will be on April 2nd. The first I will be on the farm Hope everyone else had a great day. Those birds gobbling gave me the shakes bad!

Good luck to those hunting and be safe!

Return to “Sun Rise Phantoms”