Turkey good to cook?

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
bhintz1288

Turkey good to cook?

Post by bhintz1288 »

Hello everyone. New hunter in VA. Deer and turkey. Got my first on Nov. 24th. I see a lot of conflicting information online about hanging times, etc.

So I plucked and gutted the bird immediately and hung him in shed where temp was between 25 and 50 F for about 50 hours. I then popped him in the fridge loosely wrapped in foil. I would like to cook it now. All seasoning, brining or whatever else aside, is this bird good to eat? I have no family or friends that hunt but and blessed to be on property right now that begs to be lightly hunted.

What is y'alls methods and times for hanging vs. fridge etc and how long is too long before eating. Thanks all.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Turkey good to cook?

Post by spider316 »

Rinse the abdominal cavity extremely well with salt water, then rinse the entire bird extremely well. I personally break down the entire bird into legs and breast meat, legs get slowed cooked and breast get made into sausage. Wild turkey is way lean compared to Mrs. Rotten Bottoms butterball. You could also slice the breast into strips across the grain, marinate in buttermilk, bread it and fry, then enjoy in your favorite dipping sauce. I'd definitely cook it soon ! :thumbup:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
bhintz1288

Post by bhintz1288 »

Thanks very much for the response. I'll brine wash him real well and get 'er done. Hopefully will be better than Mrs. Rotten Bottoms' bottoms. Thanks again, Cheers!
bhintz1288

Post by bhintz1288 »

Hey Spider, took a taste this PM. T'was excellent. I rinsed him with a saturated saline mix then brined him in a bag with saline+spicyness overnight. Oven today and he is fantastic. Thanks kindly for easing my beginners qualms. Well wishes from VA.

Return to “Camp Dinner”