Sunday Chuck Roaat

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Sunday Chuck Roaat

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Seared this chuck roast in a cast iron this morning. Potatoes and carrots into the crock pot along with salt, pepper, thyme, garlic. Same seasoning was applied to roast before searing. Set roast on top of potatoes and carrots, deglazed pan and poured over roast before adding two or three cups of broth. Between five and six hours on high in the crock pot. The "sweet" corn is from the local farmers market but I'm not banking on it really being sweet. We could make some gravy with what's left in the pot but probably won't.
IMG_20210919_125252517.jpg
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Sunday Chuck Roaat

Post by Hognutz »

The perfect Sunday meal. Outstanding!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Looks awesome that sear turns er up a notch.. As hog said, perfect thing to have ready for when you get back from the mosque on Sunday..
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

The sear definitely adds to it. The corn was surprisingly good too.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: September 19th, 2021, 11:14 pm The sear definitely adds to it. The corn was surprisingly good too.
Is that white corn? Silver Queen?
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

It was white, but I don't know if it was silver queen. It was good whatever it was.

My dad grew a lot of sweet corn and had several white corns that were sweeter than silver queen. He wouldn't even tell folks any different because they were convinced that silver queen was the sweetest. Not that silver queen isn't a good corn, he just had better luck with some other varieties.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: September 19th, 2021, 11:35 pm It was white, but I don't know if it was silver queen. It was good whatever it was.

My dad grew a lot of sweet corn and had several white corns that were sweeter than silver queen. He wouldn't even tell folks any different because they were convinced that silver queen was the sweetest. Not that silver queen isn't a good corn, he just had better luck with some other varieties.
That's good to know.. It's like finding the holy Grail around here.. Everyone grows bi color.. Heck can't find yellow. I probably ate the least amount of corn ever this summer..

I did find out something interesting out though. Bay City, it's by the thumb. Has the best soil in the state, few hour drive..

Everywhere you look around here early in the season, Bay City corn like their all proud of something or a badge of honor. I just thought because it's some of the first Michigan corn..

Than someone told me, it's better due to the soil. Duh, that makes sense.. You being from Illinois (got it right this time) probably already knew that..
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I know soil definitely helps size of the ear/ production rates. Dad tried to have all three, white, yellow, and bicolor. They've engineered so many varieties, sweets, super sweets, triple sweets (I don't recall the actual variety names). I preferred the longer maturity corns but usually planted some of the shorter ones too so I'd have corn sooner. I know there are some gardeners here that probably know more.

Dad would usually have three varieties planted and stagger plant dates to lengthen the season. He would get swarmed when he'd pull up with a truck full. He doesn't do it anymore but my nephew does it some. However, he just sells it all to a store and doesn't stand around talking to folks looking for corn like Dad did.

It seems like I've talked about this with you or someone once before, but I suppose I'm getting old enough to forget plenty.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

It’s hard to get excellent corn here. We usually just buy it from locals who don’t plant sweet corn near other corn fields

Our typically sucks due to farmers next door and I guess cross pollination
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

hoobilly wrote: September 20th, 2021, 10:17 am It’s hard to get excellent corn here. We usually just buy it from locals who don’t plant sweet corn near other corn fields

That can definitely happen.

I haven't tried to grow a garden for several years here in MT. I had a couple good stands of corn but the cool nights seem to lengthen maturity. I was usually picking corn the first part of September. Tomatoes looked good but were always mushy. I attributed that to the cool nights also although I'm not sure. I could grow great squash and cucumbers but I get tired of those after a little while. It was hot enough this year that I think I'd have had a good garden but I'd have needed to water a lot.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: September 20th, 2021, 11:30 am
hoobilly wrote: September 20th, 2021, 10:17 am It’s hard to get excellent corn here. We usually just buy it from locals who don’t plant sweet corn near other corn fields

I haven't tried to grow a garden for several years here in MT. I had a couple good stands of corn but the cool nights seem to lengthen maturity. I was usually picking corn the first part of September. Tomatoes looked good but were always mushy. I attributed that to the cool nights also although I'm not sure. I could grow great squash and cucumbers but I get tired of those after a little while. It was hot enough this year that I think I'd have had a good garden but I'd have needed to water a lot.
Mushy maters only good for throwing 😂
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

hoobilly wrote: September 20th, 2021, 11:54 am
Hobbes_mobile wrote: September 20th, 2021, 11:30 am

Mushy maters only good for throwing 😂
Yep, and that's about all my Montana tomatoes were good for as far as I was concerned. I ate some fresh tomatoes back home a few weeks ago. There was no comparison.

Return to “Camp Dinner”