Grilled Samun

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Grilled Samun

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Never grilled salmon before, actually have only eaten it a few times other than smoked or in patties..
Threw a basic blend of spices on it garlic Powder,minced onion, oregano, fresh ground Pepper..

Really easy to cook Turned out good, flaked perfectly, was juicy. I like some fish fishy tasting this was very mild..

Roasted zucchini and a salad.. Ill do Samun again soon..
Polish_20210615_185144517.jpg
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Grilled Samun

Post by Hognutz »

My wife LOVES salmon. I can take it or leave it. To me, it has a musty taste. I prefer a dill sauce with mine. Almost mandatory.
Your looks delicious enough to try. Kathy would be in 7th Heaven with that meal!
Carry on..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Salmon is one of my favorites

Used to have a local restaurant that had a dish called Saigon Salmon

Absolutely my favorite and I cry every time I go to Culver and that place is closed.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote: June 15th, 2021, 7:53 pm My wife LOVES salmon. I can take it or leave it. To me, it has a musty taste. I prefer a dill sauce with mine. Almost mandatory.
Your looks delicious enough to try. Kathy would be in 7th Heaven with that meal!
Carry on..
Thank you... I did good for winging it moist and flaky with a tiny sear on top. Musty huh.. Growing up on a blue ribbon brookie stream I went in Thinking I would taste fish, it was really delicate and mild.. Something a non fish eater would like.. I actually like a lil we willl call it tastier fish, like whitefish, I'd never snub my nose at it, but it's only as good as the breading, seasoning and sauces..

I liked it.. The best part it adds something to the rotation.. Looking through stuff I could take this 100 different ways..

Your wife would like it.. It was a pretty feminine meal, 30 hour later I was hungry lol
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Now brookie. That's a whole different deal. I can eat 50 brook trout! I've caught and eaten many. Seasoned flour and pan fried in butter. Oh my Goodness!
Looks like salmon. But oh so different!
AlinMi

Post by AlinMi »

Wife makes a glaze from maple syrup and a splash of soy sauce for salmon, usually just broils it till the syrup is caramelized. Yummy
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote: June 15th, 2021, 8:46 pm Now brookie. That's a whole different deal. I can eat 50 brook trout! I've caught and eaten many. Seasoned flour and pan fried in butter. Oh my Goodness!
Looks like salmon. But oh so different!
Mike Miller was up a few years ago.. I have eaten umpteen pounds of brookies and probably cleaned thousands of rainbows, we had a pay to catch trout pond..

He skinned the brookies um, filleted um or some goofy thing baked in oven with honey and spices, absolutely devine..

I've been itching to go just gotta figure out if I'm capable of wading
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Nice. I've cleaned and eaten hundreds of brookies and have never skinned one. In fact, I've never heard of such a thing! Mine were creek trout and not huge. 7-15". No scales to speak of.
BTW. My wading days are over!! :lol:
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Then again, I kinda' prefer grilled Halibut, specially when I catch them in Alaska :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote: June 15th, 2021, 9:03 pm Nice. I've cleaned and eaten hundreds of brookies and have never skinned one. In fact, I've never heard of such a thing! Mine were creek trout and not huge. 7-15". No scales to speak of.
BTW. My wading days are over!! :lol:
Same thing I'm talking eaters 8-10.. Seriously amazing..

I do have a 17 3/4 mounted, caught handful that size, one 18+ but let go. Bud has one 19 3/4 mounted.. Second biggest I've ever seen from the creek, there all natives..

Our stream has changed for the worse, 25 years ago piles of 8-10.. I would only keep a meal or two a year.. Opening day was huge, pressure everywhere, than the state opened about every specie last Saturday of April and pressure died.. It was so busy we had to add extra fridges for crawlers. Our stream has slowly eroded from gravel to sand. Numbers have dwindled, yeah there is still a decent amount of fish, but what has happened is big fish, back in day 13 was big.. 10 years ago when I fished hard I used to always know a hole or 3 with a 16+. I'd take friends never caught a big one, to these spots to Target one..
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I hear ya. The 15" brookie was a rarity, for sure. The vast majority of them that I/we caught were in the 8"-10" range. Anything over 12" was a stinkin dandy. Fun game, for sure..Great table fare!!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I only eat salmon if my wife insists on cooking it or in salmon patties. I don't like big trout because they taste like salmon. I do like little brookies. It's possible that I'll catch a few this weekend. If I do, I'll remove heads and entrails and pan fry. I better pack my rod in the truck.

Return to “Camp Dinner”