Cherry smoked !

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Cherry smoked !

Post by spider316 »

So we love to cook as a family. Anything that can be harvested and utilized hits the plate. I still consider myself a Probie here on the "Nation". Sit and listen, don't talk and mis-speak. So here's my first "plate pic". Cherry smoked baby backs with sides of slaw and macaroni salad. Did a Sweet baby Rays BBQ sauce with splash of A-1, and Old Bay to spice it up. Have a Gorilla grill Silverback pellet smoker and we do everything on it. Enjoy Gentlemen, stay healthy and safe everyone !
Attachments
Screenshot_20210605-165609_Gallery.jpg
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Cherry smoked !

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Looks really good .. Cherry is a really good fruit wood, lil stronger
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I could eat smoked ribs a couple of times a week.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Me to, Hobbes! That looks crazy good, Wayne. Looks like you nailed it!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

What?????
No invite?????
Sheesh
Broke rule number 1
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

:thumbup: ... Cherry is my go-to wood for pork and chicken.
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

How do you cook your ribs I mean whenare they done?
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

hoobilly wrote: June 5th, 2021, 8:39 pm What?????
No invite?????
Sheesh
Broke rule number 1
Take it up with your Mods, I gots me a few contacts ! :walk:
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 5th, 2021, 9:55 pm How do you cook your ribs I mean whenare they done?
I buy the nicest ribs possible for the cheapest price. Walmart and Costco have the nicest meats commercially because of the amount of product they move. So, I thaw the ribs in the fridge, then bring them up to temp by leaving them on the countertop on a cutting board in the shrink wrap. I then cut em out and rinse, dry and cut the rack in half. Season with the spur of the moment rub, which might include a slim wipe of Gouldens mustard. Use your imagination, taste is something you enjoy, it's one of your 5 senses' ! Peel off the silver skin on the concave side of the ribs, much easier when room temperature. I set the temperature at 180° and smoke em for 4 hours, once every hour I spray it with distilled/filtered Apple cider vinegar. I then tent em in a foil pan and cover with foil and seal it as tight as possible. Set heat at 250° and walk away for 2 hours, to finish brush hogging, mowing hay, putting away Turkey hunting accessories, answering HOOBILLYS questions , what ever takes up my time. I then shut down the smoker and just leave everything as is until everything for supper is literally ready. Then we slather the ribs with what ever sauce we want and enjoy. So 4 hours at 180, 2 hours sealed at 250, then set to rest for my belly. They are always fall off the bone ,nothing but a popsicle stick rib good. If you give me a rib that I have to chew off the bone, no disrespect to anyone, I'll throw it to the coons so they hopefully choke and die, leaving my Turkey eggs alone. Life is short, eating is easy, why not enjoy it. Stay healthy and safe everyone, enjoy ! :old_glory:
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

That's the beauty of bbq, you are in control of dialing it in to how you like it. I won't get into prep, but for cooking I go about 2 hrs (looking for a certain color more so than time) at 275 and then foil wrap them for about 1 hr 15 mins - 1 hr 30 mins (still at 275) until they probe tender. I have a thermapen but you can use toothpicks the same. I stick them between the bones and if the probe/toothpick slides in with little resistance, then they're ready for me. If not, wrap em back up and give em 10-15 more mins and check tenderness again. I don't want them to fall off the bone but I want a clean bite mark with no pull. Again, it's all in what you like.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Just curious I don't foil just use the bend test.. I prefer bite clean off the bone with minimal tug..
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 6th, 2021, 8:17 pm Just curious I don't foil just use the bend test.. I prefer bite clean off the bone with minimal tug..
Got ya. I use foil because I'm impatient.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Jbird22 wrote: June 6th, 2021, 8:50 pm
ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 6th, 2021, 8:17 pm Just curious I don't foil just use the bend test.. I prefer bite clean off the bone with minimal tug..
I got into bbq about 04 it was in it's infancy up here.. I was obsessed, all I wanted to cook, eat out, Everytime I traveled bbq, forums tv I was this way till about 2017, then I got burnt out on it.. My Nemesis was spot on ribs.. Now I made good ribs, it was making really good ribs every time.. I made good ribs in foil, it was always the consistency rack to rack or cook to cook.. I guess for me at least I came to the conclusion it added one more variable to the cooking process.. I tried the bend method and found it gave me the perfect bark with the perfect tiny pull for a clean bone pretty much everytime regardless of size and cooking temp.

Patience, you ever done a small Chuck roast? Good grief never seen a stall like them.. I basically wrote off foil just allotted time, did it and didn't power through with foil.. Chuckie you have to..

I had dinner planned once, allotted more then enough time to finish before company.. Had a small Chuckie on, it hit 158 and literally sat their for hours no drop a degree no rise a degree, nothing.. I took batteries out of both my Maverick et 732 and PT 100.. I drove to dollar general bought new batteries, came back yup 158. Foiled and ramped temp up to finally break it.. lol

I hadn't smoked since I guided in Florida.. This fall my sister's like you wanna come over smoke on the trager, felt like I needed a disguise, didn't want anyone to see me. Didn't know if I should be drinking a white claw in plaid shorts and a polo as I manned the easy bake oven for men.. I was lost as the pellet pooper chugged consistently not used to being hands off..

Gulp.. I kinda liked it.. Food was good, stupid easy..
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Very nice,
if you want to try something different, use some pecan wood, very nice mellow taste.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 6th, 2021, 11:39 pm
Jbird22 wrote: June 6th, 2021, 8:50 pm
I got into bbq about 04 it was in it's infancy up here.. I was obsessed, all I wanted to cook, eat out, Everytime I traveled bbq, forums tv I was this way till about 2017, then I got burnt out on it.. My Nemesis was spot on ribs.. Now I made good ribs, it was making really good ribs every time.. I made good ribs in foil, it was always the consistency rack to rack or cook to cook.. I guess for me at least I came to the conclusion it added one more variable to the cooking process.. I tried the bend method and found it gave me the perfect bark with the perfect tiny pull for a clean bone pretty much everytime regardless of size and cooking temp.

Patience, you ever done a small Chuck roast? Good grief never seen a stall like them.. I basically wrote off foil just allotted time, did it and didn't power through with foil.. Chuckie you have to..

I had dinner planned once, allotted more then enough time to finish before company.. Had a small Chuckie on, it hit 158 and literally sat their for hours no drop a degree no rise a degree, nothing.. I took batteries out of both my Maverick et 732 and PT 100.. I drove to dollar general bought new batteries, came back yup 158. Foiled and ramped temp up to finally break it.. lol

I hadn't smoked since I guided in Florida.. This fall my sister's like you wanna come over smoke on the trager, felt like I needed a disguise, didn't want anyone to see me. Didn't know if I should be drinking a white claw in plaid shorts and a polo as I manned the easy bake oven for men.. I was lost as the pellet pooper chugged consistently not used to being hands off..

Gulp.. I kinda liked it.. Food was good, stupid easy..
Haha, work smarter not harder ! :banghead:

Return to “Camp Dinner”