Mid-afternoon Snack

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Mid-afternoon Snack

Post by HunterGKS »

I had the munchies but no munchies so I decided to try some air fried onion & bell pepper rings.

They turned out pretty tasty but were a little softer than restaurant style.

In the 1st pic:

Bowl #1 = flour, paprika, & salt
Bowl #2 = buttermilk, egg, & flour
Bowl #3 = panko, salt, & olive oil
Bowl #4 = panko, salt, & olive oil
001.jpg
002.jpg

In the 3rd pic, I put small onion rings inside the bell pepper rings.
003.JPG
004.jpg
Onion Rings

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp salt, divided
• 1/2 cup buttermilk
• 1 egg
• 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 large yellow sweet onion, sliced 1/2-inch thick and separated into rings
• Oil Spray, optional

Instructions

1. You need 4 shallow bowls or deep plates.
1. In the first one combine flour, paprika, and ½ tsp salt.
2. In the second combine buttermilk and egg, then add ¼ cup of the flour mixture from the first bowl.
3. In the third combine panko breadcrumbs, ½ tsp salt and olive oil with a fork, until the oil is evenly distributed.
4. Put half of the panko in a fourth bowl so you can switch to the second part after the first got sticky.
2. Pat dry the onion rings with paper towels to remove excessive moisture. Using a fork, dredge the onion rings in
the flour mixture, drop them in the buttermilk mixture and then dredge them in the panko mixture. (TIP: Freeze
the breaded onion rings for 15 minutes on a baking sheet, this helps the panko mixture to stick better.)
3. Spray Air Fryer Basket with oil spray. Place onion rings in a single layer in the Air Fryer basket. You can place smaller
rings inside bigger rings if necessary, just make sure there is space between them.
4. Cook at 400°F until golden brown and crispy, about 11-15 minutes. Spray with some cooking spray after about 6 minutes.
You don't need to turn the onion rings.
5. Carefully lift out the onion rings with a cookie spatula or fork and serve.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Mid-afternoon Snack

Post by spider316 »

Haha, love it. My son's latest after school snack. When I'm working my overnight shifts I love calling home to say goodnight and listening to the wife about the mess when she gets home from work. Love our Toastmaster air fryer. His look like yours so it's a vote of confidence he's doing em right, although he dips his in ranch dressing :pukeleft: !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

spider316 wrote: May 19th, 2021, 4:20 pm Haha, love it. My son's latest after school snack. When I'm working my overnight shifts I love calling home to say goodnight and listening to the wife about the mess when she gets home from work. Love our Toastmaster air fryer. His look like yours so it's a vote of confidence he's doing em right, although he dips his in ranch dressing :pukeleft: !
Mines a Toastmaster as well. I was doubtful about them but a high school girlfriend swore by them so I got 1.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well they cook anything I try.
George

spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

HunterGKS wrote: May 19th, 2021, 4:32 pm
spider316 wrote: May 19th, 2021, 4:20 pm Haha, love it. My son's latest after school snack. When I'm working my overnight shifts I love calling home to say goodnight and listening to the wife about the mess when she gets home from work. Love our Toastmaster air fryer. His look like yours so it's a vote of confidence he's doing em right, although he dips his in ranch dressing :pukeleft: !
Mines a Toastmaster as well. I was doubtful about them but a high school girlfriend swore by them so I got 1.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well they cook anything I try.
You're the reason we got the Toastmaster, you use it so much and never complained ! :thumbup: so much easier than using the stove oven also.
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

spider316 wrote: May 19th, 2021, 5:53 pm
You're the reason we got the Toastmaster, you use it so much and never complained ! :thumbup: so much easier than using the stove oven also.
Glad I could help & even gladder that it worked well for all y'all.
George

Return to “Camp Dinner”