BBQ Spare ribs

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

BBQ Spare ribs

Post by HunterGKS »

To grill, or not to grill, that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
not grilling or to take tongs against a slab of ribs and grill them until they are tender
& done.

I picked up a large slab of spare ribs from Wally World last Friday at a pretty good price.
Today seemed like a grilling day so I got the ribs primed this morning with the Bone
Doctors rub. I also had some fresh asparagus, a bell pepper left over from the casserole,
& a nice baking tator. I had to cut the ribs in half sp I could use the indirect method.
The slab was to large to fit front to back & that’s how I needed to lay it out. The halves
fit perfectly between the end burners

It took the better part of 2 hours to get the ribs just right but it was worth the wait.
TASTY!!!!

BBQ Spare ribs

Step 1: Prep the meat

Insert a knife between the membrane/silver skin & the meat at one end of the ribs.
Be careful not to pierce the membrane. Work your fingers under the skin to loosen it.
Wrap a paper towel around your hand so you can get a good grip. Gently but firmly,
pull off the silverskin.

Step 2: Use a spice rub

Pat the ribs dry. Rub the spice mixture over all sides of the ribs.

Step 3: Grill

1. First, preheat a clean grill to medium heat (about 200°F), then oil the grill.
2. Place the ribs right on the grill, using tongs to maneuver them into place.
Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 30 minutes on each side.
3. After the first hour, move the ribs to direct medium heat and cook 20-40
minutes longer, or until the pork is tender.
4. Occasionally, turn and baste with barbecue sauce.

Step 4: Test for doneness

Start testing for doneness once the meat begins to pull away from the ends of the bones. Pierce
the meat with a fork and the tines should glide through easily. You also can twist a rib bone a
little bit; you should feel it move easily but not fall apart from the meat.
Overall, your ribs should be cooked to a temperature of about 190°F.

Step 5: Let Rest and Enjoy

After letting your ribs rest for 10-15 minutes, you’ll want to split them up into manageable portions.
Using a sharp chef’s knife, carefully cut them into two-bone sections. Make the cuts as close to the
bone as possible so there’s a lot of meat on each one.

001.jpg
002.JPG
003.jpg
004.jpg
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: BBQ Spare ribs

Post by Hognutz »

I would crawl 5 miles on my hands and knees, over broken beer bottles for a meal like that! I love, stinkin LOVE grilled ribs. I woul trade the green pepper in for red, orange or yellow. That's my only change! It looks flipping fantastic!!
BTW, George. I use the paper towel hack, as well. Pinching the skin between your thumb and a tablespoon works too.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

MMMMMMM, tell ya' what,
I'll make ya' a deal, you keep the ribs and I'll eat the spare and all the rest of yer' fixin's :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Hognutz wrote: May 17th, 2021, 7:35 pm I would crawl 5 miles on my hands and knees, over broken beer bottles for a meal like that! I love, stinkin LOVE grilled ribs. I woul trade the green pepper in for red, orange or yellow. That's my only change! It looks flipping fantastic!!
BTW, George. I use the paper towel hack, as well. Pinching the skin between your thumb and a tablespoon works too.
I loves me some good ribs. As far as store bought, there's a restaurant called Old 30 BBQ that has excellent baby backs.
They have about 6 different sauces at the table from mild, to sweet, to holy crap that's hot, with stops in between.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: May 17th, 2021, 7:53 pm MMMMMMM, tell ya' what,
I'll make ya' a deal, you keep the ribs and I'll eat the spare and all the rest of yer' fixin's :thumbup:
You can have the bones.
George

Return to “Camp Dinner”