Turkey Legs and Thighs

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Turkey Legs and Thighs

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Wild turkey legs and thighs require slow cooking until the meat will fall apart and all ligaments and bones become very easy to remove. Once that is done, you can use the meat however you like. I like to chop it and use it in tacos,but it works good in soup or other dishes.

I placed 8 thighs and legs in crock pots to cook on low overnight on Monday evening. I added a little seasoning and broth. The pots were really full so I rotated meat around in the morning.

A pressure cooker or insta-pot would be quicker but I usually just use a crock pot.
IMG_20210428_082255_039.jpg
IMG_20210428_082255_100.jpg
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Turkey Legs and Thighs

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

So these were cooked on low overnight and most of the next day. I would have preferred cooking them in chicken broth but only had beef broth. They would have finished up quicker on High. The second Crock-Pot with thighs only was cooked on high through the work day only and not overnight because I had failed to turn it on.

This is what they'll look like, meat coming off the bone.
IMG_20210428_082255_106.jpg
Bones, tendon and ligaments all removed. These are what make the legs nearly impossible to eat without slow cooking and removal.
IMG_20210428_082255_112.jpg
Leg and thigh meat ready for tacos, sandwiches, soups, etc. I prefer to chop it some instead of the big chunks of pulled meat.
IMG_20210428_082255_123.jpg

Post by 935 »

That's the way I do them also. It don't take but a few minutes to remove the upper wings and they'll cook in the same pot.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I think I have a post that is real similar to what you do but goes a little
further after the "cook off." I'll try to find it.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

935 wrote: April 28th, 2021, 11:04 am That's the way I do them also. It don't take but a few minutes to remove the upper wings and they'll cook in the same pot.
It's actually required in Montana. I've tried to fry them like chicken wings and make buffalo wings but they are just too tough.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

HunterGKS wrote: April 28th, 2021, 11:06 am I think I have a post that is real similar to what you do but goes a little
I didn't recall that. I'll probably show some more photos when we eat it tonight.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: April 28th, 2021, 11:36 am
HunterGKS wrote: April 28th, 2021, 11:06 am I think I have a post that is real similar to what you do but goes a little
I didn't recall that. I'll probably show some more photos when we eat it tonight.
Sounds like a plan. The more pics, the better.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

NICE! I cooked up some legs and thighs in the wife's Insta-pot just the other night with some chicken bouillon, BBQ seasoning, BBQ sauce, and Dr Pepper. She added some kinda pasta to the leftover broth to make some kinda special soup. I can hear her rattling the spoon in the bowl now.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote: April 28th, 2021, 2:11 pm NICE! I cooked up some legs and thighs in the wife's Insta-pot just the other night with some chicken bouillon, BBQ seasoning, BBQ sauce, and Dr Pepper. She added some kinda pasta to the leftover broth to make some kinda special soup. I can hear her rattling the spoon in the bowl now.
Sounds good. I'll be eating either tacos or toasted BBQ sandwiches from it tonight.
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

Very nice!
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

You did a heckuva lot better with yours than I did with mine!

I'm pretty savvy with my kamado smoker but when I tell you I flopped on my first attemt at wild turkey leg quarters, trust me! Those jokers were tough! That was smoked at 250 til they hit about 175 internal then wrapped em in foil til they hit 205 internal. That will normally make a choice brisket tender but didn't work on the wild turkey leg quarters. I'm thinking I should've smoked em for about 1.5 hrs for flavor, then submerge in a pan of broth, and seal the pan til they're tender. I'll definitely try again but definitely not the same way..lol
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Jbird22 wrote: April 28th, 2021, 6:24 pm You did a heckuva lot better with yours than I did with mine!

I'm pretty savvy with my kamado smoker but when I tell you I flopped on my first attemt at wild turkey leg quarters, trust me! Those jokers were tough! That was smoked at 250 til they hit about 175 internal then wrapped em in foil til they hit 205 internal. That will normally make a choice brisket tender but didn't work on the wild turkey leg quarters. I'm thinking I should've smoked em for about 1.5 hrs for flavor, then submerge in a pan of broth, and seal the pan til they're tender. I'll definitely try again but definitely not the same way..lol
I met some folks last week that cooked their first wild bird for Thanksgiving. They couldn't chew the legs and thighs. :)
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Mr. Hobbes, pics won't load but it's the only way we do legs and thighs to break em down. From there it's endless, kinda like Bubba Gump shrimps !!!!! :old_glory:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !

Return to “Camp Dinner”