Just for the Halibut!!

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Just for the Halibut!!

Post by HunterGKS »

I have been looking for a grilling basket I could use especially for fish. I found what I was looking
for at a store I had planned to never again darken their doors. I had to go to Columbus yesterday
for a Doc appoint & decided to bite the bullet & get the basket.
001.jpg
002.jpg

I still had 5 halibut fillets & grilled 3 of them along with a sweet tator & ½ an acorn squash.

As usual, everything tasted great!! The basket still didn’t do what I wanted it to as far as keeping
the fillets intact. For the last 2, I think I’ll cover both sides of the basket with foil. From this point
on though, I think I’ll stick with thicker, meatier fish steaks.
003.jpg
004.jpg

My Sister Kathy & I treat each other to supper for our birthdays. Last December, we ate at Brio
Tuscan Grille on Polaris Parkway in Columbus for her birthday. We both love scallops & they had a
special so that is what we both ordered. The 1st & all bites were like a choir of angels was singing
in my mouth!!! Since the store was close to the grill & they had just re-opened, we stopped for my
BD supper hoping they had scallops. Alas & alack, they did not but the shrimp & lobster fettuccine
I got was really good. Kathy got the Grilled Chicken Marsala. She got asparagus but said it wasn’t
as good as mine which I thought went without saying. Thanks again, Sis!
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Just for the Halibut!!

Post by soiltester »

Good eatin's George :thumbup:

I went to Kodiak Island 2 different times and the 1st time Halibut season was in and I brought back a lot of nice and thick fillets that I caught after I got my ducks I went for.
My guides son, filleted the fish out and they were thicker than what you grilled up and grilled up great without falling apart :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: June 25th, 2020, 7:12 am Good eatin's George :thumbup:

I went to Kodiak Island 2 different times and the 1st time Halibut season was in and I brought back a lot of nice and thick fillets that I caught after I got my ducks I went for.
My guides son, filleted the fish out and they were thicker than what you grilled up and grilled up great without falling apart :cheers:
Thx Charlie. I think the thinness of the fillets along with the fact that halibut is a "soft" meat compared to tuna or mahi has a lot to do with it.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

HunterGKS wrote: June 25th, 2020, 8:29 am
soiltester wrote: June 25th, 2020, 7:12 am Good eatin's George :thumbup:

Thx Charlie. I think the thinness of the fillets along with the fact that halibut is a "soft" meat compared to tuna or mahi has a lot to do with it.
George,
I sure wouldn't call the halibut I caught "soft fish/meat" and wonder where your's originated from as I had a couple orders shipped tome a couple years after, from Island Seafood and all I've had were thicker and grilled up solid and firm.

https://www.islandseafoods.com/?gclid=E ... gIhPPD_BwE

Prices have really skyrocketed sine then!! :banghead:
firedup

Post by firedup »

I have tried several grill baskets for fish and some veggies over the years and never found one that worked just the way I wanted it to. Closes thing I've found these days are the grill mats. Keep everything from falling thru and reasonably intact. And allow for flipping as well. That or just plop the ole cast iron skillet on the grill and go.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

We're on our 2nd Char-Broil 2 burner gas grill and seldom ever have to use something to put under all we grill.
Going to an all stainless steel grill as soon as we need another and grill configuration is going to be different and may require other grilling devices??!! ;)

Return to “Camp Dinner”