New Red Dot Recs

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
sugarray

New Red Dot Recs

Post by sugarray »

I started with a Mueller Quick Shot, was a performer, but didn't like how high it sat on the receiver. This year went to a FF III. For my son's 20 gauge it was a seamless transition from the FF II. For the 835, 24" shooting Hevi 3.5" #7, it was terrible. I was unable to get enough adjustment UP to get on POA. So, I sent it back and Burris sent me another. Got this one to with in 8", but still way low. Going to send it back, and am going to try something else. I am using the Malin 337 base and the site itself is awesome, just not enough adjustment for me.

What are your recs?

I have read about the Weaver, and have been looking at an Eotech MRDS and Leupold Deltapoint. Not sure which one I'll try, but got to get something ready. I still didn't have a good option a week into the season last year.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: New Red Dot Recs

Post by Gobbler »

M Sharpe

Post by M Sharpe »

I wonder if shimming the front of the FFIII before tightening it down would help??? Or maybe sand just a little of the rear of the mount??
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

M Sharpe wrote:I wonder if shimming the front of the FFIII before tightening it down would help??? Or maybe sand just a little of the rear of the mount??
Me too..
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

M Sharpe wrote:I wonder if shimming the front of the FFIII before tightening it down would help??? Or maybe sand just a little of the rear of the mount??

Have had to do this myself in the past. It's just too good of a sight to give up on when a minor fix is all it takes to make it work.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Ray

The Nikon Monarch VSD is a very good Red Dot Scope ! About 250.00
sugarray

Post by sugarray »

What would you use to shim? I have thought of this, but couldn't find/think of anything to use. I'd gladly do this over getting a new one. I love Burris FF sites and Marty has really been good to me, so hate to move away. Thanks for the help guys!!
sugarray

Post by sugarray »

Think I found it.
http://www.amazon.com/TACTICAL-Delrin-D ... B00L5RS2FM

Think I'll get 2 just in case. And longer screws
M Sharpe

Post by M Sharpe »

You probably could just shim the front to bring it up higher. I know from years in the building business, that to shim a door over, you didn't put the shim under the whole hinge. You backed the screws part the way out and put the shim on the front side. This moved it twice as far as shimming the whole thing. If nothing else, take an expired credit card or membership card, cut it down about 1/4" wide and an 1" long, pop you a couple of holes in it to pass the front screws thru.
Arkansas Dave

Post by Arkansas Dave »

I bought a cheap set of feeler gauges and cut the one I thought would be enough with a heavy duty pair of scissors and slid it under the front. It's been there 3 yrs without any trouble. It won't take much to get you where you need to be.
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

I am trying to get 8-40 screws for my 336 mount from Burris, the first ones I got had 8-40 screws, the new one I got has 6-48 screws. I called Burris and they told me that they never made a 336 mount with 8-40 screws! Well I guess the two guns I have the 336 mounts on will be falling off any time now as they are held on with screws that don't exist...
Burris has great customer service, but not so sure about their tech department.
Still don't have the sight on the one gun as I am still trying to find 8-40 screws to hold the mount on with.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Beer or soft drink aluminum can strips are easy to cut, non-compressible (by screws) and one thickness should do it. Gil
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

pullit wrote:I am trying to get 8-40 screws for my 336 mount from Burris, the first ones I got had 8-40 screws, the new one I got has 6-48 screws. I called Burris and they told me that they never made a 336 mount with 8-40 screws! Well I guess the two guns I have the 336 mounts on will be falling off any time now as they are held on with screws that don't exist...
Still don't have the sight on the one gun as I am still trying to find 8-40 screws to hold the mount on with.
I had the same problem when I needed new screws after dipping my 870. It took them 3 tries but they eventually sent me the right ones. (and FYI...that lock tight you used to mount my FFII really held...LOL)
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

gophert wrote:
pullit wrote:I am trying to get 8-40 screws for my 336 mount from Burris, the first ones I got had 8-40 screws, the new one I got has 6-48 screws. I called Burris and they told me that they never made a 336 mount with 8-40 screws! Well I guess the two guns I have the 336 mounts on will be falling off any time now as they are held on with screws that don't exist...
I had the same problem when I needed new screws after dipping my 870. It took them 3 tries but they eventually sent me the right ones. (and FYI...that lock tight you used to mount my FFII really held...LOL)
Did not want anything falling off, it might reflect bad on me..... :o :D
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

sugarray wrote:What would you use to shim? I have thought of this, but couldn't find/think of anything to use. I'd gladly do this over getting a new one. I love Burris FF sites and Marty has really been good to me, so hate to move away. Thanks for the help guys!!
Sand paper works great :thumbup: .Good luck.
sugarray

Post by sugarray »

Great ideas, I'll work on it soon. Just to be sure, you are talking of shimming the site or the base? I'm thinking the site

Return to “Gun Talk”