Mods/upgrades

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Cmonsta

Mods/upgrades

Post by Cmonsta »

Good morning! I’ve seen a lot of shotguns over the years with grip tape and shell holders and different things mounted to them. Obviously, none of this is necessary…we all know you just need a stock gun and some shells. But I am curious for those who do upgrade/customize/modify their guns, what do you do? And why? I have a Stoeger 3020 turkey that I cut the barrel down, put a compact stock on, and mounted a Burris FF with a Sumtoy mount. Just wanting to see if anyone else has some good ideas I might try out.
decoykrvr

Re: Mods/upgrades

Post by decoykrvr »

I have found that mounting your shotgun properly with a reproducible visualization, especially with scopes or red dots, is essential for accurate POA/POI. If your cheek does not have a contact point on the stock and your eye is "floating" to find your sight, accuracy suffers. I've used the Beartooth stock raising combs on a lot of shotguns with great results. I personally don't care for the stock shell holders, but the standard stock raising comb gives you the latitude to custom fit the height of the comb. FYI, I glue the individual pads together w/ contact cement and shape/grind the pads for the proper taper on the stock and usually even shape/grind the thick bottom pad w/ a concave profile to mate better w/ the top of the stock. To preclude any foreign material/sticks from snagging the neoprene cover, I usually use a Coban style tape on both the front and back of the cover. This is a fairly easy upgrade which will really help with your shooting and success.
Cmonsta

Post by Cmonsta »

decoykrvr wrote: March 19th, 2023, 12:49 pm I have found that mounting your shotgun properly with a reproducible visualization, especially with scopes or red dots, is essential for accurate POA/POI. If your cheek does not have a contact point on the stock and your eye is "floating" to find your sight, accuracy suffers. I've used the Beartooth stock raising combs on a lot of shotguns with great results. I personally don't care for the stock shell holders, but the standard stock raising comb gives you the latitude to custom fit the height of the comb. FYI, I glue the individual pads together w/ contact cement and shape/grind the pads for the proper taper on the stock and usually even shape/grind the thick bottom pad w/ a concave profile to mate better w/ the top of the stock. To preclude any foreign material/sticks from snagging the neoprene cover, I usually use a Coban style tape on both the front and back of the cover. This is a fairly easy upgrade which will really help with your shooting and success.
Awesome I love this! Thank you for the response! Next chance I get I’m going to pay extra attention to the current fit and maybe order one of those combs :)
dustyroads

Post by dustyroads »

I like to lower the trigger pull weight when possible on my turkey guns. A Mcarbo trigger spring kit will make a notable improvement over stock. Timney makes a great sear & spring kit for remingtons. Either are easy diy projects.
I add a goda grip cheek riser to aid in proper alignment when using optics. Not always necessary but cheap and easy fix if it is. Have used short action precisions shell holder that velcros to the stock for single shots. Nice to have a backup shot ready if the need arises.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

In the photo with 4 guns, top gun is unmodified. It's a 1954 Beretta M412 single shot, full. The other guns are a Yildiz TK12 with adjustable Skinner peep sight and Marble post mounted on sold rib. I duracoated action to conceal coin finish. Shortened barrel to overall 25" to the end of Sumtoy Choke. 4.25 bls. Yildiz TK36 .410 Sumtoy choke, shortened barrel, improved trigger pull, FF3 mounts, sling studs and swivels. 3.25 lbs. Bottom gun is Baikal MP18 20 ga. Duracoat shake and spray finish, Sumtoy choke, FF3 mount. studs and swivels. 5,5 lbs. Photo of single gun is a Yildiz TK36 .410 with adjustable Skinner peep and front rifle sight collared on a steel tube. Studs installed for sling. Shortened barrel with Sumtoy choke. Gil
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

GLS wrote: March 20th, 2023, 7:27 am In the photo with 4 guns, top gun is unmodified. It's a 1954 Beretta M412 single shot, full. The other guns are a Yildiz TK12 with adjustable Skinner peep sight and Marble post mounted on sold rib. I duracoated action to conceal coin finish. Shortened barrel to overall 25" to the end of Sumtoy Choke. 4.25 bls. Yildiz TK36 .410 Sumtoy choke, shortened barrel, improved trigger pull, FF3 mounts, sling studs and swivels. 3.25 lbs. Bottom gun is Baikal MP18 20 ga. Duracoat shake and spray finish, Sumtoy choke, FF3 mount. studs and swivels. 5,5 lbs. Photo of single gun is a Yildiz TK36 .410 with adjustable Skinner peep and front rifle sight collared on a steel tube. Studs installed for sling. Shortened barrel with Sumtoy choke. Gil
How did you improve the trigger on the yildiz?
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I let somebody who knew what they were doing do it. Gil
Any gunsmith can stone the sear, etc. smooth things out to prevent creep. it has to be done right or it can be dangerous.
Last edited by GLS on March 20th, 2023, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cmonsta

Post by Cmonsta »

GLS wrote: March 20th, 2023, 7:27 am In the photo with 4 guns, top gun is unmodified. It's a 1954 Beretta M412 single shot, full. The other guns are a Yildiz TK12 with adjustable Skinner peep sight and Marble post mounted on sold rib. I duracoated action to conceal coin finish. Shortened barrel to overall 25" to the end of Sumtoy Choke. 4.25 bls. Yildiz TK36 .410 Sumtoy choke, shortened barrel, improved trigger pull, FF3 mounts, sling studs and swivels. 3.25 lbs. Bottom gun is Baikal MP18 20 ga. Duracoat shake and spray finish, Sumtoy choke, FF3 mount. studs and swivels. 5,5 lbs. Photo of single gun is a Yildiz TK36 .410 with adjustable Skinner peep and front rifle sight collared on a steel tube. Studs installed for sling. Shortened barrel with Sumtoy choke. Gil
Those are all stunning! Love it! Thank you for sharing.

Return to “Gun Talk”