.17 HMR’s

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

.17 HMR’s

Post by Hoobilly »

Had a Savage years ago

Finding myself needing another for yard varmints and just having fun.

Looking at Ruger American a Savage a Howa & a Tikka T1X

The Howa felt good in my hands. Anyone in here own one?

Hopefully gun store has the Tikka T2 for me to check out
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: .17 HMR’s

Post by HunterGKS »

I don't have any knowledge of the other 2 you mentioned but have been using a Savage for about 15 years on squirrels, groundhogs.
& 1 coyote & love it. I'm sure the price has gone up but I think I only paid $250 for it. It is a tack driver.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Have 3 Savages in .17 HMRs. Wouldn't own any other Rifle. But as we all know every firearm, cartridge, site and it goes on and on as to what makes everyone's perfect setup is. Haha, good luck Buddy !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

HunterGKS wrote: May 28th, 2022, 8:01 pm I don't have any knowledge of the other 2 you mentioned but have been using a Savage for about 15 years on squirrels, groundhogs.
& 1 coyote & love it. I'm sure the price has gone up but I think I only paid $250 for it. It is a tack driver.
The Savage I had was also a tack driver

It was just a cheap stock good trigger shooting. Razed it off a couple years ago.

I didn’t like how cheap the stock was on it. Had the BSA sweet 17 scope. Shot lots of groundhogs and one coyote and didn’t like how the coyote took it. He died but I want 100% floppage or a jump run and plow the ground and the 17 wasn’t it for me. All other varmints it works perfect

Hoping someone has owned the other 2 and can give a thumbs up or down

WAGinVA

Post by WAGinVA »

Have you looked at CZs?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

WAGinVA wrote: May 28th, 2022, 10:05 pm Have you looked at CZs?
I did a while ago. Wood version. Definitely don’t want wood

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Savage Rimfires are tack drivers as you well know....

Not 17 but my ,,93 in 22 mag shoots amazing....

Why no 22 mag.... One big advantage of the 22 mag is it's ability on deer.... When you really need to shoot and scoot I have alot more confidence throwing the 22 mag down on the passenger side window than a 17 for a quick kill..
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: May 29th, 2022, 1:11 am Savage Rimfires are tack drivers as you well know....

Why no 22 mag.... One big advantage of the 22 mag is it's ability on deer.... When you really need to shoot and scoot I have alot more confidence throwing the 22 mag down on the passenger side window than a 17 for a quick kill..
Fox & coyote fer' me though ;)

Buddy is death on woodchucks though, either his 17 rim or center fire gun. :thumbup:
I use my 22 mag, so I gave him a 17 I won :lol:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: May 29th, 2022, 1:11 am Savage Rimfires are tack drivers as you well know....

I’ve owned 22 mag for years
Main reason I don’t have one now is that my favorite 22mag ammo is no longer available. The cci tnt Was the best and I loved shooting it. Even on coyotes within reason

patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

Hoobilly wrote: May 29th, 2022, 7:28 amMain reason I don’t have one now is that my favorite 22mag ammo is no longer available. The cci tnt Was the best and I loved shooting it. Even on coyotes within reason
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/934792284

There's a ton of it on gunbroker. I didn't know they stopped making it
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

17 's performance on squirrels is catastrophic . On Raccoons reliable but in fox it is a crap shoot and coyotes tote almost all of them off .
I've done alot of predator hunting when we were regulated to rimfires in GA . When the 17HMR came out it was a tack driver , we had high Hope's. It didn't pan out , 35 or better grey foxes shot in 2 nights and only recovered 12 or so . I k how you don't know if you don't recover them where the shot placement is but that was with some GREAT rifle shots that would have put 30 to 35 of those shots in the truck for pics if they were shooting 22 WMR !
But to the original post ... we have ruger Americans and they shoot lights out ! All 22 WMR . Every 17 I've shot is a shooter also .
Between the 3 Ruger 77 's in 22 wmr they are all shooters also ! But for the money the American is my top pick ... and 10-22 mags make it even better . Timmney also makes American triggers if you cant get what you looking for outa the factory one .
10th Legion legionare !
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

patternfreak wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 4:18 pm
Hoobilly wrote: May 29th, 2022, 7:28 amMain reason I don’t have one now is that my favorite 22mag ammo is no longer available. The cci tnt Was the best and I loved shooting it. Even on coyotes within reason

They could have started making them again?

I’ll email CCI and ask

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I’ll email CCI and ask

dferg0910

Post by dferg0910 »

take a look at bergara 17hmr on gun broker just got one for $400.00. did not like action on savage
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Several years ago, I was looking for the CZ 452 Varmint model in .17 HMR. My late father-in-law had the rifle in .22 which out shot all of his Coopers, Anshutz, Browning T-Bolt, and Winchester Mod. 52.. I was given a deal which I could not refuse on a CZ American .17 HMR. I mounted a Leupold scope in CZ rings on the rifle and proceeded to be amazed at the smoothness of the action and accuracy of the rifle, especially after I did a trigger job, polishing the action and replacing two springs. The rifle's trigger breaks at 2 1/2 lbs with no creep. My longest kill, shooting the CCI 17 gr load is a groundhog at 175 yards. The rifle will routinely shoot sub-1/2 inch groups at 100 yards off of the bench w/ good shooting conditions. A great shooting, handling rifle. As an aside, I treasure a signed and witnessed target shot at 50 yards by my late father-in-law, a WW II, Okinawa combat Marine sharp-shooter, with his CZ 452 Varmint model .22. The 5 shot group was a smooth one hole which measured .025 inch, which for non-paper shooters is .025 larger than the bullets diameter of .22 . The old guys my late father-in-law shot with were all vets who had been trained in the military. They deduced that the key to their accuracy with the .22's, shooting the now unavailable Federal target loads utilized by most of our Olympic shooters, was the weight and length of the individual bullets which they measured evenings before going to the range.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

decoykrvr wrote: August 10th, 2022, 10:31 am Several years ago, I was looking for the CZ 452 Varmint model in .17 HMR. My late father-in-law had the rifle in .22 which out shot all of his Coopers, Anshutz, Browning T-Bolt, and Winchester Mod. 52.. I was given a deal which I could not refuse on a CZ American .17 HMR. I mounted a Leupold scope in CZ rings on the rifle and proceeded to be amazed at the smoothness of the action and accuracy of the rifle, especially after I did a trigger job, polishing the action and replacing two springs. The rifle's trigger breaks at 2 1/2 lbs with no creep. My longest kill, shooting the CCI 17 gr load is a groundhog at 175 yards. The rifle will routinely shoot sub-1/2 inch groups at 100 yards off of the bench w/ good shooting conditions. A great shooting, handling rifle. As an aside, I treasure a signed and witnessed target shot at 50 yards by my late father-in-law, a WW II, Okinawa combat Marine sharp-shooter, with his CZ 452 Varmint model .22. The 5 shot group was a smooth one hole which measured .025 inch, which for non-paper shooters is .025 larger than the bullets diameter of .22 . The old guys my late father-in-law shot with were all vets who had been trained in the military. They deduced that the key to their accuracy with the .22's, shooting the now unavailable Federal target loads utilized by most of our Olympic shooters, was the weight and length of the individual bullets which they measured evenings before going to the range.
:usa:
Good stuff

Ol sharpshooters can shoot anything in their hands.

Shellstuffer

Post by Shellstuffer »

I really like the little .17’s. I have 2 Mach2’s, 3 HMR’s, and 2 WSM’s. For small game like squirrels Mach2’s are a lot of fun and work really good. If you like to see a crow explode, it doesn’t get any better than the WSM with the 15 grain bullet @ 3300fps. HMR fits really good right between them, and normally is the easiest to get ammo for.
“Just a old fart, that likes the outdoors “ (and beer)
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hoobilly wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 7:29 pm

I’ll email CCI and ask
This an old thread.
They may have delayed production through the ammo crisis. I was floored was in Dunham's a Midwest chain in November.... A whole crap load of 22mag from various manufacturers.... I haven't seen 22mag on a shelf in forever.... They didn't have my Win Supreme 34 g JHP so I picked up some rem.ballistic tip...

Didn't care that's my gun sits ready to go any critter needs shot in the yard and I was down to two rounds...

So maybe they're was some production or maybe Dunham's just decided to stock it again
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

The Winchester 40 grain JHP is the most accurate & deadly 22 Mag ammo I've ever shot ! But I like the 22 Hornet the best !
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

vaturkey wrote: January 13th, 2023, 2:33 pm The Winchester 40 grain JHP is the most accurate & deadly 22 Mag ammo I've ever shot ! But I like the 22 Hornet the best !
My savage likes the old.grey box too
Shellstuffer

Post by Shellstuffer »

The worst problem with all rimfire ammo is not being consistent. You might get 1 lot number that shoots really good, then later buy the same ammo but a different lot number and it’s garbage. It’s pretty well like playing the lottery, so if you happen to buy some ammo that shoots really good, look at the lot number and go back to where you bought it at and load up on it. If it shoots crappy, make sure you don’t buy anymore of that lot number. lol
“Just a old fart, that likes the outdoors “ (and beer)

Return to “Gun Talk”