Turkey gun build

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Tntrkkllr

Turkey gun build

Post by Tntrkkllr »

Started a permanent turkey gun build last year with my 870 youth model my dad bought me when I was a kid. First i put a full size stock on it to hunt with last year and a mossy oak gun graphics kit..got 3 birds with it and decided I wanted a shurshot stock. Looked and looked and looked and finally found one on gunbroker! Sent my barrel, receiver and stock to Ethridge to get dipped in new bottom land, over the moon with excitement on how awesome this gun looks and how great of a job they did! Putting a picatinny ( weaver ) rail on the receiver and topping with a Burris FF3!! Excited how this build is turning out can’t wait to get after em this season! Here’s a before and after! Will post a pic when it’s put together and completely done!
Attachments
CE40C552-67F8-4C8D-A195-9A524F0A4A40.jpeg
35EC543E-A1F1-4C13-815D-A6DA97A78F6B.jpeg
Chief Razor

Re: Turkey gun build

Post by Chief Razor »

Looks great. Enjoy
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

Good looking gun. I have the same one, need to send mine to Ethridge to get it dipped
Teamstilwell

Post by Teamstilwell »

Looks great. Bought my son a 20ga 870 express mag.. tempting lol
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

That’s beautiful!!!

Would you consider the EGW base instead of the picatinney rail???
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Tntrkkllr

Post by Tntrkkllr »

hoobilly wrote: January 16th, 2022, 7:49 pm That’s beautiful!!!

Would you consider the EGW base instead of the picatinney rail???
Thanks!! And I already had an extra picatinny hanging around in my extra parts box !
Tntrkkllr

Post by Tntrkkllr »

Teamstilwell wrote: January 16th, 2022, 2:44 pm Looks great. Bought my son a 20ga 870 express mag.. tempting lol
Thanks! And they make a great turkey gun for sure!
Tntrkkllr

Post by Tntrkkllr »

Skimerhorn wrote: January 16th, 2022, 11:56 am Good looking gun. I have the same one, need to send mine to Ethridge to get it dipped
I would definitely recommend them if you do!!
Tntrkkllr

Post by Tntrkkllr »

Chief Razor wrote: January 16th, 2022, 11:44 am Looks great. Enjoy
Thank you!
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Built 4 different 870's almost exactly like yours. They make a perfect turkey gun and the Sure Shot stock is great for use with optics as it gets your eye up behind the optic while still maintaining a good cheek weld. Timney makes a really nice after market spring and sear kit that greatly improves the trigger. MCARBO and maybe others offers just a spring that sometimes is all it takes (Just a thought if you would like a better trigger). As mentioned above there are slightly better options for mounting your FF3 that will give sight a little lower profile. Good luck with your gun!

Casey
jmercmon

Post by jmercmon »

Nice looking gun!

I built an 870 youth model just like the one you have that I found in a pawn shop for next to nothing. I had the Stock dipped and the receiver and barrel I used duracoat ... but I was never happy with the stock and I sold it to a buddy who loves it. So then I built a new one after I walked into a ace hardware (In the middle of know where) one January day last year and they had a youth 870 for $299 ... brand new! I could not believe my luck, I put my hands on it and yelled around the store for help. lol

This time I used a Remington 870 Side Folding Stock Kit and paired with a sumtoy choke and its a killer. I took a bird and the daughters did as well in 2021

I don't have a full picture just some shots when I took a bird last year.
IMG_5802 (2).jpg
IMG_5862-1.jpg
Tntrkkllr

Post by Tntrkkllr »

Casey Napier wrote: January 17th, 2022, 7:11 am Built 4 different 870's almost exactly like yours. They make a perfect turkey gun and the Sure Shot stock is great for use with optics as it gets your eye up behind the optic while still maintaining a good cheek weld. Timney makes a really nice after market spring and sear kit that greatly improves the trigger. MCARBO and maybe others offers just a spring that sometimes is all it takes (Just a thought if you would like a better trigger). As mentioned above there are slightly better options for mounting your FF3 that will give sight a little lower profile. Good luck with your gun!

Casey
I’ll have to look into that trigger kit for sure!! Thank you!!
Tntrkkllr

Post by Tntrkkllr »

jmercmon wrote: January 17th, 2022, 4:01 pm Nice looking gun!

I built an 870 youth model just like the one you have that I found in a pawn shop for next to nothing. I had the Stock dipped and the receiver and barrel I used duracoat ... but I was never happy with the stock and I sold it to a buddy who loves it. So then I built a new one after I walked into a ace hardware (In the middle of know where) one January day last year and they had a youth 870 for $299 ... brand new! I could not believe my luck, I put my hands on it and yelled around the store for help. lol

This time I used a Remington 870 Side Folding Stock Kit and paired with a sumtoy choke and its a killer. I took a bird and the daughters did as well in 2021

IMG_5802 (2).jpgIMG_5862-1.jpg

That’s heck of a deal!!! Good looking gun I like it!
jmercmon

Post by jmercmon »

Here was my first 870, I did .... really like the look of the gun. Was just not a fan of the Stock.
IMG_3826.jpg
jmercmon

Post by jmercmon »

Tntrkkllr wrote: January 17th, 2022, 4:12 pm
jmercmon wrote: January 17th, 2022, 4:01 pm Nice looking gun!

IMG_5802 (2).jpgIMG_5862-1.jpg

That’s heck of a deal!!! Good looking gun I like it!
The daughter has now laid claim to that gun and I (I was so busted up about this, rofl) had to build me a new gun. That one is based on a franchi affinity 3 turkey .... I will have to scrounge up the picks.
Tntrkkllr

Post by Tntrkkllr »

jmercmon wrote: January 17th, 2022, 4:13 pm Here was my first 870, I did .... really like the look of the gun. Was just not a fan of the Stock.
IMG_3826.jpg
I like that it looks good! I have a feeling when my daughter is old enough she will try to claim mine too and I’ll be making another one haha!
jmercmon

Post by jmercmon »

My latest creation

Here is what it looks like stock
Screenshot 2022-01-17 161815.gif
After I had the barrel shortened and re choked by SumToy. He also machined the stock sights off mostly, I did the rest with files and sand paper. Then I did the receiver and barrel in duracoat. Shoots like a dream and its short for tight places. Really like it. Paired it with a claw sling. On the back side you cant see I put a flush mount QD in the stock and I got a grovetech QD swivel adapter for the forearm end. Moded the claw strap to QD sling attachments. It will put 250 in 10" @50 yards all day long with a slightly modified load of Hals NC Speed.
IMG_5974 (2).jpg
jmercmon

Post by jmercmon »

Casey Napier wrote: January 17th, 2022, 7:11 am Built 4 different 870's almost exactly like yours. They make a perfect turkey gun and the Sure Shot stock is great for use with optics as it gets your eye up behind the optic while still maintaining a good cheek weld. Timney makes a really nice after market spring and sear kit that greatly improves the trigger. MCARBO and maybe others offers just a spring that sometimes is all it takes (Just a thought if you would like a better trigger). As mentioned above there are slightly better options for mounting your FF3 that will give sight a little lower profile. Good luck with your gun!

Casey
Good info, I never was 100% satisfied with the trigger on the 870. I may have to spring for a Timney.

For a FF3 ... Sumtoy has the best deal IMO, he usually has the optic and mount, for a few dollars more you can get the mount with protectors on it. Both of my guns have the protector ..... it only takes one broken FF3 to spring for the extra cost of the protector mount.

I have had some issues with the picatinny mount and running out of adjustment on a FF3 or being very close to the end of the sights adjustment range resulting in issues with it staying on zero over time. Its best to get the sight as close to the barrel height as possible with either the EGW or the Sumtoy mount direct to the receiver. I have used both ... still using an EGW on a 410 setup I have.
Tntrkkllr

Post by Tntrkkllr »

jmercmon wrote: January 17th, 2022, 4:52 pm

Casey
Good info, I never was 100% satisfied with the trigger on the 870. I may have to spring for a Timney.

For a FF3 ... Sumtoy has the best deal IMO, he usually has the optic and mount, for a few dollars more you can get the mount with protectors on it. Both of my guns have the protector ..... it only takes one broken FF3 to spring for the extra cost of the protector mount.

I have had some issues with the picatinny mount and running out of adjustment on a FF3 or being very close to the end of the sights adjustment range resulting in issues with it staying on zero over time. Its best to get the sight as close to the barrel height as possible with either the EGW or the Sumtoy mount direct to the receiver. I have used both ... still using an EGW on a 410 setup I have.

Going to order an EGW today
Tntrkkllr

Post by Tntrkkllr »

Also jmercmon I like that gun it looks sick I bet it’s going to be turkey killing machine

Return to “Gun Talk”