New Muzzleloader

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

New Muzzleloader

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Well I ended up getting a new CVA Accura back in November. I've always shot 777 pellets with TC Shockwave bullets. I've heard a lot about Blackhorn 209, so I bought some. I also got some Hornady Bore Driver FTX bullets. I was able shoot it today at 100 yards.

I shot a 4 shot group. Shot #1 & 2 cut holes. I loaded shot #3 and it didn't oad as smooth as the first two, it felt kinda sandy/gritty??? As you can see it was a flyer. Shot #4 was smooth and came right back in.

I think I have a winner!

Kevin
20220115_194415.jpg
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: New Muzzleloader

Post by Turkinator »

That is an awesome group. How much Blackhorn?
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I actually weighed it out due to my OCD. It was 5.0 grams, which by volume was just a tad over 100 grains by volume....maybe in the 102-104 area.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Your gonna kill a monster buck this fall!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Good Shooting! I have one of the old original Optima Magnums with the 29” barrel. Its quite the shooter but not much in the looks dept. Those new smoke poles like yours are the total package. Enjoy!
Gmed

Post by Gmed »

Told ya them was shooters. Love mine….that’s 4, but only at 50 yards. 70 grains by weight (100 grains volume). I got the MR-X but also know someone with a LR-X. It is just as accurate. Heard CVA had some quality control issues on the very first ones with the locking block under barrel being welded on slightly out of line, but can’t remember where I saw that. CVA stands behind their stuff however if you ever have any issues.
Attachments
42004D14-7BA7-4330-A287-211702DE85AD.jpeg
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Great group Kevin, that'll work, interested on bullet performance
Chief Razor wrote: January 15th, 2022, 9:37 pm Good Shooting! I have one of the old original Optima Magnums with the 29” barrel. Its quite the shooter but not much in the looks dept. Those new smoke poles like yours are the total package. Enjoy!
Optima Elite? I have one I've shot a pile of CVAs and they won't touch it... Love the long barrel
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Tom, yes bullet performance is the next question. I read multiple reviews and so far they have been really good. I'll report back in the fall if I get the opportunity to harvest a couple deer with it.
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: January 15th, 2022, 10:53 pm Great group Kevin, that'll work, interested on bullet performance
Chief Razor wrote: January 15th, 2022, 9:37 pm Good Shooting! I have one of the old original Optima Magnums with the 29” barrel. Its quite the shooter but not much in the looks dept. Those new smoke poles like yours are the total package. Enjoy!
Optima Elite? I have one I've shot a pile of CVAs and they won't touch it... Love the long barrel
Yep….Elite….I knew it was something like that…..
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Gmed wrote: January 15th, 2022, 10:30 pm Told ya them was shooters. Love mine….that’s 4, but only at 50 yards. 70 grains by weight (100 grains volume). I got the MR-X but also know someone with a LR-X. It is just as accurate. Heard CVA had some quality control issues on the very first ones with the locking block under barrel being welded on slightly out of line, but can’t remember where I saw that. CVA stands behind their stuff however if you ever have any issues.
I believe that about the barrel welds….mine looks like it was done in a High School shop class. Lucky for me its straight. Shoots MOA groups, so ugly is just fine with me.

Return to “Gun Talk”