Identify this Muzzleloader

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Hobbes

Identify this Muzzleloader

Post by Hobbes »

So, with my dad's passing a few weeks ago, I've ended up with some of his guns. Some are modern guns, a few are muzzleloaders.

I'm not at home to look at it closer, but I'm not completely sure about the shotgun. The sidelock percussion rifle is a TC Renegade 50 cal, The inline is a Knight MK-85 50 cal. I have written down that the shotgun is a Thompson Center also but I can't find any info or photos of TC sidelock shotguns in camo. Any search that I do keeps turning up the modern Encore. Anyone know for certain what model TC this one is and when it was made?

I've got photos of deer that he killed with both rifles and I know he killed at least one turkey with a double barrel muzzleloader shotgun that he got rid of some time ago ( I have the photos). I think he killed at least one turkey with this shotgun. Regardless, I'll be killing a turkey with it next spring and probably hunting with both of the rifles in the near future. If I recall correctly, it has interchangeable choke tubes and a barrel that can handle steel. I'll likely try to develop a TSS load for it.
muzzleloader long guns.jpg
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Identify this Muzzleloader

Post by turkeyinstrut »

The shotgun is a TC New Englander. I wouldn’t shoot steel or tungsten through it without a proper wad. JMHO
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Thanks for the info. I thought that's probably what it is but can't find a photo of one in camo.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: November 1st, 2021, 9:19 pm Thanks for the info. I thought that's probably what it is but can't find a photo of one in camo.
Darren Dye (BigSpurs68) has one. Shoots tss through his and I believe his son Striker killed a Kentucky gobbler this past spring with it.

Basically Tommy’s (Shooters) 12ga Thunder load is gonna make it deadly. I’m not 100% sure but I think Darren uses triple 7 powder.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

hoobilly wrote: November 1st, 2021, 10:22 pm
Hobbes_mobile wrote: November 1st, 2021, 9:19 pm Thanks for the info. I thought that's probably what it is but can't find a photo of one in camo.
Darren Dye (BigSpurs68) has one. Shoots tss through his and I believe his son Striker killed a Kentucky gobbler this past spring with it.

Basically Tommy’s (Shooters) 12ga Thunder load is gonna make it deadly. I’m not 100% sure but I think Darren uses triple 7 powder.
Is he shooting 9s?
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I've not had the guns out since getting home. To be quite honest it still feels like I've taken something that's not mine. I just got the muzzleloader shotgun out for a few minutes.
IMG_20211101_220921669.jpg
IMG_20211101_220935945.jpg
Dad apparently couldn't make out the tiny bead on the front so he painted it white and painted a stripe to aid in keeping himself aligned.
IMG_20211101_220948178.jpg
It definitely has a removable choke. I've not removed it but assume at least a full choke. I've no idea if TC has their own thread set up or if they use something that matches up with to another shotgun manufacturer.
IMG_20211101_221014999_BURST000_COVER.jpg
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

It looks like it's actually a T/C Tree Hawk. They came in 50 Cal or 12 ga and camo. I can find where the New Englander was offered in composite but not camo. The Tree Hawk was offered in camo. They are probably the same gun just the Tree Hawk was the one in camo.
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

Yep Tree Hawk, My brother has the same thing in a rifle. I have one of the New Englanders in 12ga. Mine shot low so I made a little base with a notch that the tang screw holds in place (where yours in painted). I seem to remember the choke thread pattern being the old browning, mossberg, winchester style; I could be wrong. I put an extended choke in mine but have to remove it to load with a plastic wad or stiff cardboard wads. I have killed a few gobblers with smokepoles and its always fun. Thats a nice shotgun!

God Bless, Louis
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

youngoutdoors wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 10:54 pm Yep Tree Hawk, My brother has the same thing in a rifle. I have one of the New Englanders in 12ga. Mine shot low so I made a little base with a notch that the tang screw holds in place (where yours in painted). I seem to remember the choke thread pattern being the old browning, mossberg, winchester style; I could be wrong. I put an extended choke in mine but have to remove it to load with a plastic wad or stiff cardboard wads. I have killed a few gobblers with smokepoles and its always fun. Thats a nice shotgun!

God Bless, Louis
Thanks for the info
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Darren thought it’s winchoke invector. He uses the factory turkey full with tss. Said overchoked it didn’t pattern good
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

hoobilly wrote: November 3rd, 2021, 3:12 pm Darren thought it’s winchoke invector. He uses the factory turkey full with tss. Said overchoked it didn’t pattern good
It looks like a factory choke in it and I've read the same on which choke threads it has. We found a good number of factory chokes that Dad had stored in various places. I couldn't figure what a few of them went to. I'm guessing they were for this gun. I'm also guessing that I have the full choke in it since turkeys are all that he hunted with it.

Return to “Gun Talk”