Mounting a reflex sight

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Meleagris gallopavo

Mounting a reflex sight

Post by Meleagris gallopavo »

I’ve mounted a couple of reflex red dot sights on my turkey guns in the past few years but I want to check myself before mounting my new one. I typically mount the base to the gun and use blue locktite on the screws before I tighten them. I do the same on the screws that attach the sight to the base. I have heard of some folks using red locktite but I’m worried about getting the screws out if I want to change something out. I tend to tighten screws down too much sometimes and I always struggle with that. I’ve heard of folks using a torque screwdriver to tighten screws to a certain level, but I’m not sure where to find the right torque screwdriver or what to set it to. Any help on this topic would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MFL205

Re: Mounting a reflex sight

Post by MFL205 »

Blue Loc-tite….
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Blue loctite
Clear fingernail polish

Hand tighten snuggly
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

If you want to remove it without using extreme measures, DO NOT USE RED LOCTITE!
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
Meleagris gallopavo

hoobilly wrote:Blue loctite
Clear fingernail polish

Hand tighten snuggly
Where does the clear fingernail polish come in?

pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

I use blue, torque the screws, but I bed my mount to the receiver.
I do not torque the screws at first, I put release agent on the action and on the screws. Bed the base, with just light screw contact. I wipe off the squeeze out and clean everything up, let it set for 24 hours. I then remove the screws one at a time, clean the hole out and clean the release agent off the screw. One drop of blue and then the other one. I then start to tighten each screw a little at a time until the torque is reached.

I use to have an issue of my POI moving from year to year and was always off a little (not bad enough to miss but off) After I started bedding my mounts, no issues at all.
I also bed the rails on all my rifles and have for years so the idea was not new to me.

Oh by the way, if you use release agent on the action, I have never had the bedding affect the camo dip, coating or bluing of the action. I use the big yellow cans of Johnsons paste wax as my release agent.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

I would not use clear nail polish. Nail polish tends to try super hard and it’s difficult to get off. I personally would just use blue Loctite and call it good.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

The real question is what are you mounting it on? Now I’m curious!
Meleagris gallopavo

It’s a Stevens 301 .410 thumbhole turkey. I have a Swampfox Kingslayer green circle dot I’m attaching to an EWG mount. Wanted something different as I have been running Vortex Venom and Burris FF3 sights on my other turkey guns.

Return to “Gun Talk”