Viper g2 feeding issue

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
coconut

Viper g2 feeding issue

Post by coconut »

Son has been saving up his money and was able to buy his first shotgun. Viper g2 16. Been shooting heavy loads through it and it will eject but fails to feed the next round into the barrel. Anyone else had this problem? Little fellow says he spent his life savings on the gun. Guess he is about right.
Going to find the warranty folks number Monday.
Jstocks

Re: Viper g2 feeding issue

Post by Jstocks »

Lifter could be week or could be bent.
Seems like I’ve read about this problem somewhere, but I don’t remember where.
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

Is the shell coming out of the tube ?
I’m having trouble with my sa28 when firing the second shell stays in the magazine tube but fires and ejects the first one fine.
I’m thinking it’s a timing problem may need a different power piston.
coconut

Post by coconut »

It ejects the fired shell but the one in the magazine doesn’t feed. It does let the one in magazine come out but leaves it under the bolt. Kinda like if you didn’t correctly put the shell all the way into the magazine with your thumb. If that makes sense. I have taken it completely apart and cleaned everything with no luck. Changed ammo 3 times with no luck. It a 16 and only came with 1 piston.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Sounds like it’s hanging up.

VaTurkey’s brother-in-law figured out why the Franchi and some of the guns made in turkey are not cycling a 3” shell from the tube into the chamber when being shot. I’ll post pictures and you can try to do this or might need to take to a gunsmith. There needs to less curve in the part that’s circled on the right. I sticks to far into the action and hangs up shells.
Attachments
72EA9D37-5C03-4F0A-8B99-CA50A0F11444.jpeg
302510A5-5B4B-4BB4-B42F-9F9D20B79BF7.jpeg
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
coconut

Post by coconut »

Looks a little above my skill level. Going to call tristar folks Monday and hope they are good to deal with. Will let y’all know how they take care of it.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Called tristar this morning and they said they would fix the gun in 2-3 weeks. Going to ship it off today and see what happens. Asked if they had any tips or things I could try? Nope the man said. Off she goes.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Hopefully they get it corrected fast and shipped back

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Nothing worse than gun problems! New gun problems is especially irritating!
Good luck!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
coconut

Post by coconut »

Update on the tristar. Got it back today. Loaded it up and exact same problem. Called them and they said it functioned fine with high velocity steel shots and recommended I shoot those. Problem is I want it to function with lead shot as well. They said I could call back tomorrow and speak with the gunsmith. Getting more and more frustrated.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Totally ridiculous! A shotgun that you can't shoot lead out of?? Beyond ridiculous.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Called this morning and talked with the gunsmith that worked on the gun. He thinks it is the action spring and is sending a new one to try. Still frustrated but the guy was polite and assures me that he will get the gun functioning correctly. If this doesn’t work he is offering to pay shipping for gun return. Not happy that the gun is giving me trouble but they seem to honestly want to fix the gun.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Good luck! Hope it works for you. If not, sounds like they are willing to work with you this time around. You'd a thunk they would have shot some lead through it the first time. Dunno?
Fingers crossed..
toasty

Post by toasty »

I worked with Tristar for 2 months and was never able to get my 410 Viper to work. I ended up shooting over 500 rounds over that 2 months testing all of the fixes. Some would work for 20 rounds and then stop working, some would stop working after 2 rounds. I tried everything you can imagine including many spare parts. Finally sold it for 1/2 of what I paid. I will never buy another tristar semi auto again or even a turkish semi auto for that matter. I wish you luck in getting it to work. I have several friend with vipers and many worked for a year or two, but now most have cycling issues.
coconut

Post by coconut »

That doesn’t give me warm and fuzzy feelings. I looked at a new browning a5 sweet 16 today as a replacement. About 1700 and the vent rib wasn’t even straight on it. It was a brand new gun.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

coconut wrote: June 24th, 2021, 5:41 pm That doesn’t give me warm and fuzzy feelings. I looked at a new browning a5 sweet 16 today as a replacement. About 1700 and the vent rib wasn’t even straight on it. It was a brand new gun.
Quality control is out the window now.

My Betetta1301’s front battle sight isn’t even straight with the barrel and receiver. Leans to the left

coconut

Post by coconut »

hoobilly wrote: June 24th, 2021, 6:54 pm
coconut wrote: June 24th, 2021, 5:41 pm That doesn’t give me warm and fuzzy feelings. I looked at a new browning a5 sweet 16 today as a replacement. About 1700 and the vent rib wasn’t even straight on it. It was a brand new gun.

My Betetta1301’s front battle sight isn’t even straight with the barrel and receiver. Leans to the left
I tell you what else rubs me the wrong way , when shotguns require a break in period. Got to go blast 25-50 loads through it to even start cycling some loads correctly. Shells kinda hard to come by and why can’t they build guns that cycle out the box?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

coconut wrote: June 29th, 2021, 9:54 pm
hoobilly wrote: June 24th, 2021, 6:54 pm

I tell you what else rubs me the wrong way , when shotguns require a break in period. Got to go blast 25-50 loads through it to even start cycling some loads correctly. Shells kinda hard to come by and why can’t they build guns that cycle out the box?
I think the Tristar 20ga they recommend a hundred shots before it’s supposed to run right

spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Just got back from Maine, kids brought thier Tristar .410s to wreak havoc on the red squirrels. Shooting 3" number 6s in lead. NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS !!! Extractors wouldn't extract live rounds when unloading, follow up rounds wouldn't release from magazine after 1st shot, some rounds wouldn't even close the bolt when loading. All the time during Turkey season and patterning it always was just 1 shot. Definitely will never purchase another Tristar, ever !!!!! :banghead: :angry5:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I'm detecting a pattern here! Bad deal all around!
batsonbe

Post by batsonbe »

I shot mine last Friday for the second time ever. 15x this time around though. This thread made me have 1 round in the chamber and one round in the mag. I couldn’t believe my bad luck didn’t follow me with this gun. I can at least say it chambers the second round every time, but I can’t say it throws a good pattern yet.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Update on the tristar in case you are interested in buying one.
Called on Thursday as I have not received the action spring that they said they were mailing a week ago. Young fellow said it had been mailed but wasn’t sure when and had no tracking number. Friday I decided to actually talk with the gunsmith that worked on the gun. He said the part had not been mailed until Thursday because the parts man had been out. Still waiting
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

coconut wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 2:43 pm Update on the tristar in case you are interested in buying one.
Called on Thursday as I have not received the action spring that they said they were mailing a week ago. Young fellow said it had been mailed but wasn’t sure when and had no tracking number. Friday I decided to actually talk with the gunsmith that worked on the gun. He said the part had not been mailed until Thursday because the parts man had been out. Still waiting
I hope this is what fixes it

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

batsonbe wrote: June 30th, 2021, 2:45 pm I shot mine last Friday for the second time ever. 15x this time around though. This thread made me have 1 round in the chamber and one round in the mag. I couldn’t believe my bad luck didn’t follow me with this gun. I can at least say it chambers the second round every time, but I can’t say it throws a good pattern yet.
What’s a good pattern?

batsonbe

Post by batsonbe »

hoobilly wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 5:05 pm
batsonbe wrote: June 30th, 2021, 2:45 pm I shot mine last Friday for the second time ever. 15x this time around though. This thread made me have 1 round in the chamber and one round in the mag. I couldn’t believe my bad luck didn’t follow me with this gun. I can at least say it chambers the second round every time, but I can’t say it throws a good pattern yet.
What’s a good pattern?
160 with the .385 Indian creek is good I guess. I’m hoping for better

Return to “Gun Talk”